Big East Tournament bracket (through Feb 12th)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Tournament bracket (through Feb 12th)

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm

stever20 wrote:1st off, it's bush league that the moderators/admin would allow someone to have this screen name. real bush league.

2nd off, for Seton Hall- Hall you say that they've been good at home. conference play they're 4-1. wins over St John's, DePaul, Providence, and Marquette, and a loss to Butler. Not exactly the toughest teams. Lets see with quite possibly the 3 best teams coming in how they do, along with Georgetown.

Sure, they lost to Butler. They always lose to Butler. Got swept by them last year too. It's one of those situations where one team just has another's number.

You can only beat the team that's in front of you, and aside from Marquette and Providence, the rest of their homes wins have been pretty convincing. Nobody else has been particularly competitive.

I'm not saying they'll sweep this upcoming three game home stand, but I'd expect 1 win and think 2 is possible.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RetireFiftyTu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Xavier really wants to get the 2 or 3 seed so they could have a winnable second round game. They aren't beating Nova, but I think they would have a chance against Butler and Creighton. The Xavier-Butler game on Feb 26 is looking like a huge one. Butler will likely come into that one 10-6 and Xavier probably 9-6. If Butler wins they go to 11-6 and will have swept Xavier. They are almost assuredly ahead of Xavier then. If Xavier can win that makes it much more interesting. They would go to 10-6 with Butler at 10-7. Xavier could finish 12-6 and Butler probably 11-7. Creighton is probably going to win 4 of their last 6 to put them at 12-6. Xavier can still lose these next 3 road games and then beat Butler, Marquette, and DePaul to close out the season and still get the 3 seed even if they finish with the same record as Butler. That was just me rambling and thinking out loud so long story short, if Xavier can beat Butler they have a decent chance of getting the 3 seed and avoiding Villanova in the second round.
Xavier
RetireFiftyTu

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:26 pm

RetireFiftyTu wrote:Xavier really wants to get the 2 or 3 seed so they could have a winnable second round game. They aren't beating Nova, but I think they would have a chance against Butler and Creighton. The Xavier-Butler game on Feb 26 is looking like a huge one. Butler will likely come into that one 10-6 and Xavier probably 9-6. If Butler wins they go to 11-6 and will have swept Xavier. They are almost assuredly ahead of Xavier then. If Xavier can win that makes it much more interesting. They would go to 10-6 with Butler at 10-7. Xavier could finish 12-6 and Butler probably 11-7. Creighton is probably going to win 4 of their last 6 to put them at 12-6. Xavier can still lose these next 3 road games and then beat Butler, Marquette, and DePaul to close out the season and still get the 3 seed even if they finish with the same record as Butler. That was just me rambling and thinking out loud so long story short, if Xavier can beat Butler they have a decent chance of getting the 3 seed and avoiding Villanova in the second round.

um, if Xavier and Butler finish tied, with 1-1 split, record vs Nova would be tiebreaker, and Butler would have it. So if X finishes 11-7 with the 3 losses next 3 and then win last 3, if Butler beats St John's, DePaul, and Seton Hall(all home games), Butler would be ahead of Xavier. Xavier would be rooting for a 3 way tie with them, Creighton, and Butler. Xavier would be 2-2, Creighton 3-1, and Butler 1-3. That's how Xavier gets ahead of Butler.
stever20

Postby RetireFiftyTu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:34 pm

My bad. Forgot Butler beat Nova
Xavier
RetireFiftyTu

Postby REDMEN1415 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:can't believe we are 5th at this point in the season. Just awesome to see

Yeah it is, but we'd rather 3 or 6th.
Gotta stay on the other side of Villanova, and hope someone knocks then off.
REDMEN1415

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board