Chris Mullin for COY?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Mullin for COY?

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:43 pm

SJHooper wrote: Hopefully Mullin has instilled a killer instinct in this team that Lavin's lacked. Lavin teams were done before the tournament games started. NCAA or BET, you knew they didn't have a real chance. Hope that changes.

Get outta here with the revisionist BS! You knew they "were done" after the fact. Ha! I bet you were saying something totally different leading up to those respective tournaments during those times. Remember, material is archived.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
SJHooper wrote: Hopefully Mullin has instilled a killer instinct in this team that Lavin's lacked. Lavin teams were done before the tournament games started. NCAA or BET, you knew they didn't have a real chance. Hope that changes.

Get outta here with the revisionist BS! You knew they "were done" after the fact. Ha! I bet you were saying something totally different leading up to those respective tournaments during those times. Remember, material is archived.

Lavs first BET and NCAA was hurt by Kennedy going down against Cuse. I was at that game, he went down and they followed. The NCAA's that year we went up against a well rested and healthy Gonzaga who cruised through yet another easy year in the WCC. The other years it comes down to playing a 6 man rotation all season and being worn down and beat up come March.
NJRedman

Postby SJHooper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:21 am

You can make any number of excuses, the fact is that Lavin's SJ teams went out with whimpers in tournament games. I believe we had 1 or 2 tournament wins (BET, NIT, NCAA combined) in FIVE years under Lavin. Injuries are part of the game. Don't want to hear it. Nova is missing a ton and they are still a top team. It's about how you are coached and how you develop talent. If it weren't for a buzzer beater one year in the first NIT game, I believe we would have had 0 NIT/NCAA wins under Lavin in 5 years...0.
SJHooper

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am

SJHooper wrote:You can make any number of excuses, the fact is that Lavin's SJ teams went out with whimpers in tournament games. I believe we had 1 or 2 tournament wins (BET, NIT, NCAA combined) in FIVE years under Lavin. Injuries are part of the game. Don't want to hear it. Nova is missing a ton and they are still a top team. It's about how you are coached and how you develop talent. If it weren't for a buzzer beater one year in the first NIT game, I believe we would have had 0 NIT/NCAA wins under Lavin in 5 years...0.

Okay and what the F does that have to do with anything regarding Mullins teams? Do you just need something to bitch about? The current team is winning so you need to bitch about Lavins teams now?
NJRedman

Postby sciencejay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:33 pm

SJHooper wrote:The beginning portion of the year, we were performing even lower than our already low expectations. Two of our losses were totally inexcusable...DelSt and LIU. The ODU game was still a game that we should have won. I don't care how closely they played some other big name school. So the beginning was very rough, but since then the team has gotten better. I think right now we are where we should have been earlier in the season. We started awful and have been decent since then. IMO we just balanced out the bad with the good recently. So, I wouldn't say we are overachieving, we are simply where we should be now. Yes we are tied for 5th, but I think record matters more than place in conference. We were in huge debt early and we just paid that debt off recently. You can't forget the first half of the season you must see it as a whole. It will also be interesting to see if we can get past the 1st round of the BET where we routinely bow out immediately. Hopefully Mullin has instilled a killer instinct in this team that Lavin's lacked. Lavin teams were done before the tournament games started. NCAA or BET, you knew they didn't have a real chance. Hope that changes. Proud of where we are now, but we have dug out of a big hole early on. We are now a team that no one wants to face. Our success next year will depend heavily on whether or not we can bring legit big men here and whether or not the Ponds/LoVett duo continues.

For Mullin to win COY, we would have had to make the NIT at least if not the tourney. Right now we are playing at our expected level. Our guards are insanely talented, we must have real expectations.

This is for you, Bill Marsh.

Hooper: please go back to the myriad threads where you made the same argument--"SJ underachieved early because Mullin stinks, doesn't care, etc." I think Bill and others made very valid arguments about the youthful nature of your team this year. So what happened? They lost a number of games early on "that they shouldn't have". THAT'S WHAT YOUNG TEAMS DO. Now that they've played together a while and developed some chemistry and a style for playing together, they are having more success. That they've restored their season during conference play is more than a little bit impressive, and I would say that Mullin and staff deserve an enormous amount of credit. The competition level has been much higher in conference than their OOC.

For those of you who don't like Mullin's in-game coaching style, get over it. I think SJ is playing harder and better now than they have all season, and you don't get highly-touted 18-20 year olds to do that unless they like, trust and have confidence in the coaches and the game plan. Lovett and Ponds could've hung up their cleats after the OOC. But they didn't.

The fact that you can't allow yourself to enjoy the good stuff that's happening is just sad. And that the rest of us end up reading your whiny, anti-Mullin, anti-SJ posts, is sad too. You do represent yourself as an SJ fan/alum after all.
sciencejay

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:38 pm

sciencejay wrote:
SJHooper wrote:The beginning portion of the year, we were performing even lower than our already low expectations. Two of our losses were totally inexcusable...DelSt and LIU. The ODU game was still a game that we should have won. I don't care how closely they played some other big name school. So the beginning was very rough, but since then the team has gotten better. I think right now we are where we should have been earlier in the season. We started awful and have been decent since then. IMO we just balanced out the bad with the good recently. So, I wouldn't say we are overachieving, we are simply where we should be now. Yes we are tied for 5th, but I think record matters more than place in conference. We were in huge debt early and we just paid that debt off recently. You can't forget the first half of the season you must see it as a whole. It will also be interesting to see if we can get past the 1st round of the BET where we routinely bow out immediately. Hopefully Mullin has instilled a killer instinct in this team that Lavin's lacked. Lavin teams were done before the tournament games started. NCAA or BET, you knew they didn't have a real chance. Hope that changes. Proud of where we are now, but we have dug out of a big hole early on. We are now a team that no one wants to face. Our success next year will depend heavily on whether or not we can bring legit big men here and whether or not the Ponds/LoVett duo continues.

For Mullin to win COY, we would have had to make the NIT at least if not the tourney. Right now we are playing at our expected level. Our guards are insanely talented, we must have real expectations.

This is for you, Bill Marsh.

Hooper: please go back to the myriad threads where you made the same argument--"SJ underachieved early because Mullin stinks, doesn't care, etc." I think Bill and others made very valid arguments about the youthful nature of your team this year. So what happened? They lost a number of games early on "that they shouldn't have". THAT'S WHAT YOUNG TEAMS DO. Now that they've played together a while and developed some chemistry and a style for playing together, they are having more success. That they've restored their season during conference play is more than a little bit impressive, and I would say that Mullin and staff deserve an enormous amount of credit. The competition level has been much higher in conference than their OOC.

For those of you who don't like Mullin's in-game coaching style, get over it. I think SJ is playing harder and better now than they have all season, and you don't get highly-touted 18-20 year olds to do that unless they like, trust and have confidence in the coaches and the game plan. Lovett and Ponds could've hung up their cleats after the OOC. But they didn't.

The fact that you can't allow yourself to enjoy the good stuff that's happening is just sad. And that the rest of us end up reading your whiny, anti-Mullin, anti-SJ posts, is sad too. You do represent yourself as an SJ fan/alum after all.

See Hooper, it's not just SJU alums who are too positive wearing rose colored glasses. Everyone sees it in your posts.
NJRedman

Postby milksteak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Alright...just making sure I understand this thread...we are talking about the guy with a sub-.500 record that includes losses to #333 Delaware State and #266 LIU-Brooklyn, right?
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby sciencejay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:40 pm

milksteak wrote:Alright...just making sure I understand this thread...we are talking about the guy with a sub-.500 record that includes losses to #333 Delaware State and #266 LIU-Brooklyn, right?

Yes, you are right. But SJ was picked to battle DePaul for the bottom of the BEast, and they have performed well above expectations in conference. When a team performs well above expectations, or overcomes significant adversity, etc, their coaches typically get mentioned for COY consideration. Many teams (Nova, X, CU, Butler, SJ) have a reasonable argument that their 'guy' should be COY--Nova for staying great, CU/X for performing well after key losses, Butler/SJ for performing well above expectations. Since there's still 1/3 of the conf season left and the BET, there is ample opportunity for any of these to go up/down, or for SH/Marq/PC to go on major runs and have their 'guy' get in the conversation.
sciencejay

Postby REDMEN1415 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm

sciencejay wrote:
milksteak wrote:Alright...just making sure I understand this thread...we are talking about the guy with a sub-.500 record that includes losses to #333 Delaware State and #266 LIU-Brooklyn, right?

Yes, you are right. But SJ was picked to battle DePaul for the bottom of the BEast, and they have performed well above expectations in conference. When a team performs well above expectations, or overcomes significant adversity, etc, their coaches typically get mentioned for COY consideration. Many teams (Nova, X, CU, Butler, SJ) have a reasonable argument that their 'guy' should be COY--Nova for staying great, CU/X for performing well after key losses, Butler/SJ for performing well above expectations. Since there's still 1/3 of the conf season left and the BET, there is ample opportunity for any of these to go up/down, or for SH/Marq/PC to go on major runs and have their 'guy' get in the conversation.

Last year 1-17 in the B.E., this year 6-7. 2 remaining home game again bad road teams (G-Town and PC), if we win both of those that's 8 B.E. wins.
@ Butler, Marquette, and Creighton. If we could just one of those, we'd be 9-9 with 15 total win.
I'd love to get the 3rd or 6th seed in the B.E. Tourny, on the other side of Villanova. Creighton and X has key injuries.

So nah I won't give up on winning it. Is it a long shot? Definitely. With how we're playing now though, there's a slim chance.
REDMEN1415

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 am

Is this where we mention that LIU was a 1-point loss without LoVett? Or that Delaware State was the 4th game they played that week?
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board