(5) Sat. BE Games 2/11/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Sat. BE Games 2/11/17

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:32 pm

FriarJ wrote:
Final thoughts because I'm getting dirty looks for being on the device so much:

I don't know why they didn't come out more aggressive. Butler gets screwed every year at Providence. Needed to build a lead while they had a chance. They didn't.

The refereeing was AWFUL. So many anticipation and continuation calls.

If any PC fans are reading this: **** you. You didn't earn any of this. It's like Kris Dunn never left with these calls. PC rivals X for asshole fanbases. You suck, and even when you're good you complain too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
bmradio99, Yesterday at 6:29 PM #271

F You!

Lol at the OP. I love when fans complain about other fan bases...all have their good fans all have their bad fans but the bad fans are always heard more often. No need to take post like these seriously. I love these types of post.
XU
JohnW22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:39 pm

mcnaug167 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:
FriarsForever wrote:I'm surprised this didn't even get a mention in the thread. PC beat a ranked Butler team last night. PC managed the win with subpar performances from their top 2 players, but got a strong performance from Freshman Alpha Diallo, who has come on strongly the last few games.

PC is now 4-1 over Butler the last 2 years, and i think 7-2 overall. The loss this year was PC's first ever at Hinkle. Their dominance of Butler has been a pleasant surprise for PC

Why does this surprise you? If it's about PC, this board overlooks it.

Are you surprised there's no mention of the Creighton/DePaul game as well??? No you 2 are right, it's just a PC thing. Seriously, Friar fans seem to go out of their way to find any type of perceived slight.

No chip on anyone's shoulder, and definitely no need to be a dick. It's a game thread for Saturday's game, and a top 25 team went down, so that would make it the most newsworthy game of the day. Based on that, it is surprising.

Not trying to be a dick, I and many others that post on here don't get CBSSN (used to, but they recently upgraded it a tier several months ago)so maybe that's a major reason why there's no mention of the PC/Butler game. Didn't see any Bulldog fans chiming in on the subject, no BlueJay or DePaul fans either. Maybe you should follow your own advice.
Westbrook#36

Postby mcnaug167 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:04 pm

PC fans are an odd target considering how far off topic this thread has gotten. I came to see other fan's take on a top 25 team going down, checked the appropriate thread, and added commentary.

Go re-read my post. Nothing dickish at all. Now go back and read yours...
mcnaug167

Postby billyjack » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Every fanbase forum has its nuts. On the scoutfriar board i have probably a dozen people on ignore. I love these rant posts from irate opponents though, cuz they're usually really entertaining. Often have some truth scattered amongst the swearing. Butler fans are pretty cool though.

Both Butler and PC were sleepwalking much of the game. Dawgs pulled out to a 6 or 7 point lead mid 2nd during a sleepwalking phase, then PC had a quick run to grab a small lead with like 5 left, then held on.

Tyler Lewis i think got too many minutes, especially late... kid doesn't shoot, and is very limited on defense... my biggest concern was Baldwin, who easily drained a 3 to cut it to 1 with a couple minutes left, great stroke, but he didn't get too many touches overall. Martin, Wideman, Baldwin and Chrabascz are great... Fowler had a great game on offense.

PC needs to go on a mini-run to get back in NCAA conversation again. Must win at home vs Xavier this week, then at Creighton probable loss, then need home wins vs Marquette, DePaul and then at Johnnies. 4-1 gets us to 9-9 and 19-12... on bubble... tough task though.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:02 pm

mcnaug167 wrote:PC fans are an odd target considering how far off topic this thread has gotten. I came to see other fan's take on a top 25 team going down, checked the appropriate thread, and added commentary.

No, you just complained about my post by calling me a dick, yeah nothing dickish about that. :roll: My initial post wasn't meant to be any more sarcastic or snarky than the posts I quoted.
Westbrook#36

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:30 am

Tough one for the Hall on Saturday, but all things considered, not unexpected at all. The deck was pretty heavily stacked against them. Credit to St. John's for taking advantage of Ish being out and using the opportunity to get to the rim more than they normally do. The Hall was able to take their 3s away, but SJU changed up their style and the Pirates struggled to defend it without their rock. Well done.

So with that, 2 questions for our NCAA tournament experts on here:

1. Any chance the committee gives SHU a little bit of a pass on this one since Ish Sanogo was out? While he doesn't fill up the stat sheet, anyone who's seen them play a few times knows how important he is to that team.

2. What does St. John's need to do the rest of the way to finish in the rpi top 100? Right now CBS shows them at 122 and ESPN at 114, so it seems doable. It's a bad loss that several Big East teams, now including SHU, would love to see wiped from their resume.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:36 am

Hall2012 wrote:Tough one for the Hall on Saturday, but all things considered, not unexpected at all. The deck was pretty heavily stacked against them. Credit to St. John's for taking advantage of Ish being out and using the opportunity to get to the rim more than they normally do. The Hall was able to take their 3s away, but SJU changed up their style and the Pirates struggled to defend it without their rock. Well done.

So with that, 2 questions for our NCAA tournament experts on here:

1. Any chance the committee gives SHU a little bit of a pass on this one since Ish Sanogo was out? While he doesn't fill up the stat sheet, anyone who's seen them play a few times knows how important he is to that team.

2. What does St. John's need to do the rest of the way to finish in the rpi top 100? Right now CBS shows them at 122 and ESPN at 114, so it seems doable. It's a bad loss that several Big East teams, now including SHU, would love to see wiped from their resume.

1- really don't think so because of all the other losses that SH has had recently.....
2- Looks like they would need to finish 4-1. Would be needing 2 of 3 from Creighton, Butler, and Marquette on the road, and then Georgetown and Providence at home.
stever20

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:43 am

billyjack wrote:Every fanbase forum has its nuts. On the scoutfriar board i have probably a dozen people on ignore. I love these rant posts from irate opponents though, cuz they're usually really entertaining. Often have some truth scattered amongst the swearing. Butler fans are pretty cool though.

Both Butler and PC were sleepwalking much of the game. Dawgs pulled out to a 6 or 7 point lead mid 2nd during a sleepwalking phase, then PC had a quick run to grab a small lead with like 5 left, then held on.

Tyler Lewis i think got too many minutes, especially late... kid doesn't shoot, and is very limited on defense... my biggest concern was Baldwin, who easily drained a 3 to cut it to 1 with a couple minutes left, great stroke, but he didn't get too many touches overall. Martin, Wideman, Baldwin and Chrabascz are great... Fowler had a great game on offense.

PC needs to go on a mini-run to get back in NCAA conversation again. Must win at home vs Xavier this week, then at Creighton probable loss, then need home wins vs Marquette, DePaul and then at Johnnies. 4-1 gets us to 9-9 and 19-12... on bubble... tough task though.

Yeah I'm not sure why he decided to go THAT nuts. I certainly didn't agree with all the calls, but I hardly would say it was awful or cost Butler the game. PC fans are great too, doesn't matter how good or bad the team looks, they pack the house and make it noisy (you know, when both teams on the floor aren't playing like complete garbage offensively like they were in the 1st half and first part of the 2nd on Saturday).

Maybe you're just being nice, but Martin has been anything but great in conference this year. He was bad before the benchings, now he might be even worse. It's been a month and a half since he's really played consistently well. I think Baldwin's starting to hit the proverbial Freshman wall so his shots haven't been falling, but he still contributes on the defensive end of the floor.

PC was the harder playing team on Saturday, and deserved to win the game. Hopefully Butler can regroup this week, because St. John's gave them a lot of trouble the first time around.
Last edited by Irishdawg on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irishdawg

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 am

mcnaug167 wrote:PC fans are an odd target considering how far off topic this thread has gotten. I came to see other fan's take on a top 25 team going down, checked the appropriate thread, and added commentary.

I don't think he meant anything personal against you. Your original post perhaps just struck a little bit of a nerve because PC fans complaining about being slighted/overlooked/disrespected has become a bit of a theme on this board.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board