(5) Sat. BE Games 2/11/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Sat. BE Games 2/11/17

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 am

the thing first off with the NIT is that the conference champs that lose in their tourneys get auto bids. So that knocks out 10-12 of the 32 spots right away. Then you have the top 20 from there. St John's won't be close to that. Remember last year Marquette didn't make the NIT. St John's is no where near where Marquette was last year. It's the entire season that counts, not just conference play.

Also the comment that power conference teams get preference is complete garbage. Last years NIT had only 10 P6 teams. So that is no preference at all whatsoever. The last 2 teams in were Long Beach State and Princeton. The next 3 teams in were Houston, Alabama, and Davidson. So all of those got in while teams like Marquette, Clemson, Northwestern got left out.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby novahoops11 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:15 am

dcfunk wrote: He's not quick, doesn't play above the rim, but it doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmR-I1W8k8Q

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
novahoops11

Postby mcnaug167 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:06 am

I'm surprised this didn't even get a mention in the thread. PC beat a ranked Butler team last night. PC managed the win with subpar performances from their top 2 players, but got a strong performance from Freshman Alpha Diallo, who has come on strongly the last few games.

PC is now 4-1 over Butler the last 2 years, and i think 7-2 overall. The loss this year was PC's first ever at Hinkle. Their dominance of Butler has been a pleasant surprise for PC
mcnaug167

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

herodotus wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:SJ has no shot at NIT. It's merit based not based on programs. Also you do have to have a winning record to be considered

Thats not the case anymore.

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... Tournament

It is merit based, finishing 5th or 6th in the Big East is a merit. Also it's about selling tickets, SJU would sell tickets if they make it to MSG. The season isn't over yet. We're only 2 games below .500 and have the ability to win 3 out of our last 5 games.

The NCAA runs the NIT now, and they use the exact same criteria as for the NCAAs. The days when the NIT would invite SJU, along with a bunch of BE and A10 also rans to fill seats is over. There will be a certain number of bids open after the auto qualifiers, and the NCAA will basically keep ranking the teams after they fill the NCAA bracket until the NIT bracket is also filled. SJU still has a chance to make it, but they'll really need to play well down the stretch to get in. Finishing 5th in the BE by itself may not cut it, as the committee looks at the entire season, and SJU's poor non conference performance will hurt them.

Regular season league champions that do not win their conference tournament get an automatic bid to the NIT. Last year 15 of the 32 spots went to such champions. So typically you are looking at 16 to 20 open bids.
HoosierPal

Postby FriarsForever » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:19 pm

mcnaug167 wrote:I'm surprised this didn't even get a mention in the thread. PC beat a ranked Butler team last night. PC managed the win with subpar performances from their top 2 players, but got a strong performance from Freshman Alpha Diallo, who has come on strongly the last few games.

PC is now 4-1 over Butler the last 2 years, and i think 7-2 overall. The loss this year was PC's first ever at Hinkle. Their dominance of Butler has been a pleasant surprise for PC

Why does this surprise you? If it's about PC, this board overlooks it.
FriarsForever

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:44 pm

FriarsForever wrote:
mcnaug167 wrote:I'm surprised this didn't even get a mention in the thread. PC beat a ranked Butler team last night. PC managed the win with subpar performances from their top 2 players, but got a strong performance from Freshman Alpha Diallo, who has come on strongly the last few games.

Are you surprised there's no mention of the Creighton/DePaul game as well??? No you 2 are right, it's just a PC thing. Seriously, Friar fans seem to go out of their way to find any type of perceived slight.
Westbrook#36

Postby FriarJ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Final thoughts because I'm getting dirty looks for being on the device so much:

I don't know why they didn't come out more aggressive. Butler gets screwed every year at Providence. Needed to build a lead while they had a chance. They didn't.

The refereeing was AWFUL. So many anticipation and continuation calls.

If any PC fans are reading this: **** you. You didn't earn any of this. It's like Kris Dunn never left with these calls. PC rivals X for asshole fanbases. You suck, and even when you're good you complain too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
bmradio99, Yesterday at 6:29 PM #271

F You!
FriarJ

Postby Xudash » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:24 pm

novahoops11 wrote:
dcfunk wrote: He's not quick, doesn't play above the rim, but it doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmR-I1W8k8Q

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

He's quick. And he has ice in his veins.

Nova is the current Gold Standard in the Big East.

Jay Wright is a class act. He's a great coach.

Did he put last year's and this year's teams together by recruiting precise, complimentary attributes? These guys fit together so well it is frightening.

Most BE teams are recruiting well. The question is are they recruiting to optimize the talented pieces. Nova and Wright are presently scoring an "A" in that category.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kmacker69 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:36 pm

FriarJ wrote:
Final thoughts because I'm getting dirty looks for being on the device so much:

I don't know why they didn't come out more aggressive. Butler gets screwed every year at Providence. Needed to build a lead while they had a chance. They didn't.

The refereeing was AWFUL. So many anticipation and continuation calls.

If any PC fans are reading this: **** you. You didn't earn any of this. It's like Kris Dunn never left with these calls. PC rivals X for asshole fanbases. You suck, and even when you're good you complain too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
bmradio99, Yesterday at 6:29 PM #271

F You!

Leave that stuff where it belongs, on the homer boards... :roll: Cry about it on your homer board if you can't take reading another boards pissed off comments. :lol: :roll:

Oh and PC played tougher last night... We're having some issues with finding our toughness again. :oops: Tip of the cap, and on to the next game...
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby mcnaug167 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
FriarsForever wrote:

Are you surprised there's no mention of the Creighton/DePaul game as well??? No you 2 are right, it's just a PC thing. Seriously, Friar fans seem to go out of their way to find any type of perceived slight.

No chip on anyone's shoulder, and definitely no need to be a dick. It's a game thread for Saturday's game, and a top 25 team went down, so that would make it the most newsworthy game of the day. Based on that, it is surprising it didn't get a mention
Last edited by mcnaug167 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcnaug167

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board