(5) Sat. BE Games 2/11/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Sat. BE Games 2/11/17

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:All due respect to Watson and Sumner, but no way I trade Brunson for either(yes healthy). Jalen is just such a perfect fit for what Jay and Nova do.

I think this is a good point. For Nova Brunson is a great fit but Watson went to a bad Creighton team and made the the 6th best in the league last season, then took a step back this season and just made play after play without having to be the number one scoring option which is hard to take a step back. If I was starting a team of Big East players it would start with Heart then Watson.
XU
JohnW22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:03 pm

stever20 wrote:SJ has no shot at NIT. It's merit based not based on programs. Also you do have to have a winning record to be considered

Thats not the case anymore.

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... Tournament

It is merit based, finishing 5th or 6th in the Big East is a merit. Also it's about selling tickets, SJU would sell tickets if they make it to MSG. The season isn't over yet. We're only 2 games below .500 and have the ability to win 3 out of our last 5 games.
NJRedman

Postby Xudash » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:All due respect to Watson and Sumner, but no way I trade Brunson for either(yes healthy). Jalen is just such a perfect fit for what Jay and Nova do.

I would take him in a heartbeat. He engineered the victory today.

Beyond that, simply too many key personnel losses for X. Summer, Bluiett today, and Jones apparently banged up, too.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Toronto Rapture » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Hoyas played a good game today. If only they had won some of those close loses. I can't see Marquette making the tourney the way they are going.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby herodotus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:SJ has no shot at NIT. It's merit based not based on programs. Also you do have to have a winning record to be considered

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.

It is merit based, finishing 5th or 6th in the Big East is a merit. Also it's about selling tickets, SJU would sell tickets if they make it to MSG. The season isn't over yet. We're only 2 games below .500 and have the ability to win 3 out of our last 5 games.

The NCAA runs the NIT now, and they use the exact same criteria as for the NCAAs. The days when the NIT would invite SJU, along with a bunch of BE and A10 also rans to fill seats is over. There will be a certain number of bids open after the auto qualifiers, and the NCAA will basically keep ranking the teams after they fill the NCAA bracket until the NIT bracket is also filled. SJU still has a chance to make it, but they'll really need to play well down the stretch to get in. Finishing 5th in the BE by itself may not cut it, as the committee looks at the entire season, and SJU's poor non conference performance will hurt them.
herodotus

Postby NJRedman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:40 pm

herodotus wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

The NCAA runs the NIT now, and they use the exact same criteria as for the NCAAs. The days when the NIT would invite SJU, along with a bunch of BE and A10 also rans to fill seats is over. There will be a certain number of bids open after the auto qualifiers, and the NCAA will basically keep ranking the teams after they fill the NCAA bracket until the NIT bracket is also filled. SJU still has a chance to make it, but they'll really need to play well down the stretch to get in. Finishing 5th in the BE by itself may not cut it, as the committee looks at the entire season, and SJU's poor non conference performance will hurt them.

The NCAA has been running the NIT for a while now. It's also about how well you are playing down the stretch. So it's OOC isn's important as how they are playing now. Just like the NCAA's the power conferences get preference.
NJRedman

Postby scoscox » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Summer was averaging more points, assists, rebounds and steals per game. Q was for some reason playing incredibly scared today, but I wouldn't trade a healthy Edmond for practically anyone. Also, if you guys could stop injuring our players that'd be great. We barely limped off the floor today
scoscox

Postby herodotus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 pm

NJRedman wrote:
The NCAA has been running the NIT for a while now. It's also about how well you are playing down the stretch. So it's OOC isn's important as how they are playing now. Just like the NCAA's the power conferences get preference.

How you're playing down the stretch is important, the ooc is still important as well. SJU may be competing for one of the last spots with a couple of other teams that also finished strong. If those teams did better ooc, that could be the difference.[/quote]
herodotus

Postby dcfunk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:50 pm

well I'm a Xavier fan, and let's just be real.... Brunson is by far a better PG than Sumner. Not even close in my opinion. Decision making, control, play-making, ball handling, FT shooting....he's just a way better pg. He's not quick, doesn't play above the rim, but it doesn't matter. You can tell he has been well coached for many years. He runs his team better than anyone in the league and he's going to take his team on another deep run in March. Villanova is the standard in this league, and it's up to the rest of our programs to catch up.

Sumner still has a ton to learn as a PG, with much upside. He does have incredible athletic ability, and I'm glad he's on our team, but Brunson is definitely superior.

Watson was so much fun to watch, I think those 2 were an interchangeable #1 and #2 PGs in the league.

X just doesn't have any horses left. If you told me months ago that we'd have to play nova without myles davis, sumner, and bluiett, I'd expect a 20 point loss.
dcfunk

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Big East limping

Mo Watson
Myles Davis, Sumner, and Bluiett
Omari Spellman, Phil Booth, Darryl Reynolds, Tim Delaney

Nova's 7th man played 3 minutes tonight.
Go Nova
Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board