Creighton vs. Xavier

The home for Big East hoops

Creighton vs. Xavier

Postby dakphonics » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 pm

As a Creighton fan, I've thought that any game against X has been watch basketball ever since the days of David West vs Korver. But I feel like this is a completely unrecognized rivalry. Or a nonexistent one that should exist in people's minds more than it does. After this last go around last weekend, I once again am just stunned by this. Part of it is probably because Creighton and X graduated into the conference, and I think an even bigger part of it is that X is geographically close to regional foes Butler, Dayton, Cincy and so-on that seem so much bigger. But here are some facts for you to sink your brains into.

1. Since the Cintas Center opened in 2000 the Jays and Muskies have played 16 games against one another. Their record in those contests is dead even at 8-8.
2. Since joining the Big East Creighton has swept or been swept by every team in the conference except X. Xavier and Creighton have split the series in each of 4 seasons.
3. In 5 of the 16 games over that period, one of the teams was ranked and upset by the opponent. Creighton was ranked and upset by Xavier 3 times in 2002-03, 2013-14, and this year 2016-17. X was ranked and upset by Creighton in 2006-07 and 2015-16. That's a third of the match-ups in which a ranked team was upset.
4. 11 out of the 16 games played, the final result was a 1 possession game, 2 possession game or overtime.
5. in 17 years of the Cintas Center, 27 programs have won games there. 7 Teams have won more than one game there. Creighton is the only team to have won 3 of them.

This doesn't even get into the nitty gritty of the stories or the heart-break and revenge matches that there have been over the years.
dakphonics

Creighton vs. Xavier

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Creighton vs. Xavier

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:45 am

Dak. Excellent post and Thanks for doing the legwork on this. No BET game between these two yet.Would love to see that this year. Games are always very competitive and hard fought. Nothing but total respect for your program and HC McDermott from this Musketeer fan. Along with Butler the three adds have fit in nicely with the original C7. Someone did their homework well!
DanofXav76

Postby handdownmandown » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:07 am

We beat X in the semis the first year.
handdownmandown

Postby fellahmuskie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:16 am

Totally agree. The only thing missing for me is that I haven't built up a lot of hate for Creighton yet. I just like you guys too much.

But I'm sure that will change over time :lol:
fellahmuskie

Postby scoscox » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Its an okay game, but tough to have a genuine rivalry when the teams are so far apart regardless of similarities or quality of games. X has UC and Butler twice a year (which is much more established and heated). I think we are developing a lot of good rivalries in the Big East. I don't think the Creighton game is that big or particularly special right now, but it could definitely develop. I feel like Creighton fans do genuinely have a lot of feeling towards X though and it's fun.
scoscox

Postby handdownmandown » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Wait until we get a Macura and start beating you with him.

The hate stuff will practically take care of itself.
handdownmandown

Postby jfan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 pm

handdownmandown wrote:Wait until we get a Macura and start beating you with him.

The hate stuff will practically take care of itself.
I think we have one coming with Mitchell B. Seems like a tough kid. I actually like Macura's toughness, even though it can get him in trouble.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 pm

FWIW - Fr Hoff was one of my all time favs

i'm sure i'm not alone on either the CU nor the X side thinking that

RIP Fr Hoff
cujaysfan

Postby Xudash » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:13 am

cujaysfan wrote:FWIW - Fr Hoff was one of my all time favs

i'm sure i'm not alone on either the CU nor the X side thinking that

RIP Fr Hoff

And that right there is why I like Creighton and probably will never hate you as a rival, even as we develop a rivalry.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 pm

I don't think Jays v X will become a legít "rivalry" as there is too much respect btwn the 2 Programs. Always great games though. That said i do believe the X fanbase will come to hate the Jays, as I and others pot-stir and Creighton becomes much more successful-winning the BE/BET titles. Winning breeds contempt and Creighton will become the most hated team in the conference. ;)

I expect to win this year in Radnor Township @ the pavilion and finally unseat Nova's ass from the BE crown. I expect to win the BET and become BE Champions. In my view - whomever is at the top is CU's "rival". Currently that is the lil pussycats from Radnor, PA. It's time for a new champ. :D ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board