How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

The home for Big East hoops

How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

4 or less
2%
55%
28%
7+
15%

Total votes : 60

Re: How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Five. Perhaps more?

History shows 6 seeds advancing 42.6% of the time to the SS in the dance... 28-38 overall in the 2nd Round. However, rarely do 6s Go any further.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LMS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:52 pm

At this point anything less than five would be a disappointment. My suspicion is that the Big East tournament plays another team in.
LMS

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 am

to me the next few days are huge...
tonight- Providence @ Seton Hall
Saturday- Marquette @ Georgetown

100% must wins for Providence and Georgetown. But it gets merky for Seton Hall and Marquette even if they lose. For Seton Hall if they lose tonight, St John's on Saturday becomes an absolute must win.

to me best case on Sunday- Seton Hall and Marquette have won.....
Seton Hall would be 6-6 with 3 games coming up with Creighton, Nova, and Xavier. Win 2 of those 3 and they are set just about. 1 and still in good shape.
Marquette would be 7-6 with 3 games coming up with Xavier 2x, and Creighton. Win 1 of those 3, and beat St John's and Providence, and they are in.
Georgetown would be 4-9 and 13-13 with 5 games left. would need to beat one of Creighton or Nova, and then win the other 3. they would be close to out
Providence would be 4-8 and 14-11(plus Butler game) with 5 games left after Butler. A Butler loss and they would be needing to win all 3 of Xavier, @ Creighton, and Marquette.
so sure Georgetown and PC would be out, but Seton Hall and Marquette would be in pretty good shape.

worst case- Seton Hall loses 2x and Marquette loses to Georgetown-
Seton Hall would be 4-8 with those 3 tough games left. Need to win 2 of 3 to have any shot at all. 1 and they would be on life support.
Marquette would be 6-7 with those 3 tough games left. Need to win 2 of 3 to have a decent shot.
Georgetown would only be 5-8 and 14-12 with 5 games left. Still would need likely a win over Creighton or Nova
Providence would be 5-7 and 15-10(plus Butler game) with 5 games left after Butler. They would likely need to win 2 of the 4 with Butler, Xavier, @ Creighton, and Marquette.
stever20

Postby butlerguy03 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

I was the lone 4.

Villanova, Butler, Creighton, Xavier. That's all I see right now, but a lot can change in the next few weeks. And like another person said, the BE Tournament will matter a lot in those 4-5 3-6 type games.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:44 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:I was the lone 4.

Villanova, Butler, Creighton, Xavier. That's all I see right now, but a lot can change in the next few weeks. And like another person said, the BE Tournament will matter a lot in those 4-5 3-6 type games.

I think 4 is pretty much a lock. I just think its much more likely that we get at least 1 more bubble team than not.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:05 am

Odds are it'll be 5, but 6 is more likely than 4 in my opinion.
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:49 am

Edrick wrote:Odds are it'll be 5, but 6 is more likely than 4 in my opinion.

I don't know. 4 still is really easy.
Marquette loses @ Georgetown, @ Providence, and @ Xavier along with 1 of Xavier or Creighton at home. They are 17-13 and 8-10 in conference. Out.
Seton Hall loses @ St John's, 2 of the 3 on their homestand with Creighton, Nova, and Xavier, and then @ Butler. They are 18-12 and 8-10 in conference. Likely out.
Georgetown loses @ Creighton, @ Seton Hall, and Nova. They are 16-15 and 7-11 in conference. Out
Providence loses to either Butler or Xavier and then @ Creighton. They are 18-13 and 8-10 in conference. Out

It really wouldn't take much at all right now for only 4. The only one in that scenario that would have any real shot at all barring a run in the BET is Seton Hall.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:49 pm

stever20 wrote:
Edrick wrote:Odds are it'll be 5, but 6 is more likely than 4 in my opinion.

I don't know. 4 still is really easy.
Marquette loses @ Georgetown, @ Providence, and @ Xavier along with 1 of Xavier or Creighton at home. They are 17-13 and 8-10 in conference. Out.
Seton Hall loses @ St John's, 2 of the 3 on their homestand with Creighton, Nova, and Xavier, and then @ Butler. They are 18-12 and 8-10 in conference. Likely out.
Georgetown loses @ Creighton, @ Seton Hall, and Nova. They are 16-15 and 7-11 in conference. Out
Providence loses to either Butler or Xavier and then @ Creighton. They are 18-13 and 8-10 in conference. Out

It really wouldn't take much at all right now for only 4. The only one in that scenario that would have any real shot at all barring a run in the BET is St John's

FIFY :mrgreen:
NJRedman

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Its crazy how Stever takes the time to create the worst case scenario of getting 4... geez

the odds are the BE is going to get 5 or 6... 4 is VERYYYY unlikely

last year we heard the same nonsense from this guy
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:Its crazy how Stever takes the time to create the worst case scenario of getting 4... geez

the odds are the BE is going to get 5 or 6... 4 is VERYYYY unlikely

last year we heard the same nonsense from this guy

If the top 4 continue to do what they're doing and going 16-4 vs the bubble teams(and Creighton is only 2-2)- it's going to make it really tough.

What I said was no worst case scenario....
Providence and Georgetown are in a position right now where they lose twice and they're done.
Marquette still needs bare minimum 3 wins- and realistically 4 wins. They have 1 game favorites big in, then 4 pick em games.
Seton Hall still needs at least 3 and probably 4. They have all 4 of the top 4 teams left in final 7.

I feel like 5 is very likely- and that's how I voted. But getting 4 teams is as likely as getting 6.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board