How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

The home for Big East hoops

How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

4 or less
2%
55%
28%
7+
15%

Total votes : 60

Re: How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

Postby kayako » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:36 pm

stever20 wrote:The big question will be PC/SH loser along with Marquette. Either/Neither/Both?

Marquette losing 2X to Creighton probably won't drop them from last 4 bye to 1st 4 out.
Seton Hall can probably lose @Butler & PC.
PC would be in danger, as they already have 3 bad losses, and losing to the Johnnies again is just asking for trouble.

It's probably either in that case. But a lot depends on what other teams in the bubble does. Xavier is obviously out in that case no matter what other teams do.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:03 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:The big question will be PC/SH loser along with Marquette. Either/Neither/Both?

Marquette losing 2X to Creighton probably won't drop them from last 4 bye to 1st 4 out.
Seton Hall can probably lose @Butler & PC.
PC would be in danger, as they already have 3 bad losses, and losing to the Johnnies again is just asking for trouble.

It's probably either in that case. But a lot depends on what other teams in the bubble does. Xavier is obviously out in that case no matter what other teams do.

I agree. Obviously it has a lot to do with what other bubble teams do. If enough of them help their cause, we certainly could see BE teams drop out by finishing 0-2. I think MU and SHU would both have a decent chance to stay in the field at 0-2, though they'd likely get stuck in Dayton. PC would be more likely to fall out completely since 1 of those 2 losses would be considered a "bad loss" to SJU.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 pm

stever20 wrote:lets look at the absolute worst case scenario now...
DePaul beats Xavier 2x
Butler beats Seton Hall
Creighton beats Marquette
St John's beats Providence

Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence finish in 3 way tie for 4th. PC 4/Seton Hall 5/Marquette 6.

PC/Seton Hall winner is an absolute lock.
Marquette loses to Creighton.

The big question will be PC/SH loser along with Marquette. Either/Neither/Both?

The thing that's scary is that DePaul/Xavier is the only thing that would be a real surprise.

It will be a surprise to me if Marquette loses to Creighton. I don't know why a Marquette win would come as a surprise to anyone.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:58 pm

kayako wrote:

But a lot depends on what other teams in the bubble does.

This is the post of the day. It's a truism that's often ignored when teams' credentials are discussed in isolation. Excellent point! 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby PC_Friars » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm gonna pick on X again. They were rewarded for scheduling a really tough overall SOS....they went 0-6 vs the top 25 RPI. 3 top 50 wins. Not impressed.

If it's that's easy, just schedule a brutal OOC and lose to all the top teams and still get rewarded I guess.
PC_Friars

Postby PC_Friars » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:58 pm

What is everyone's opinion of PC beating SJU then 1 and done in BET? With 20 wins, 10-8 reg season and 6, possibly 8 top 50 wins (depending on MQ) I feel like we should be in, but most on our boards are sweating that one out. We feel we need 2 more t lock in, and a loss at SJU pretty much sinks us, unless we made major noise at BET.
PC_Friars

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm

PC_Friars wrote:What is everyone's opinion of PC beating SJU then 1 and done in BET? With 20 wins, 10-8 reg season and 6, possibly 8 top 50 wins (depending on MQ) I feel like we should be in, but most on our boards are sweating that one out. We feel we need 2 more t lock in, and a loss at SJU pretty much sinks us, unless we made major noise at BET.

I'm thinking that PC will lose to St John's but will win their first roun game in the Garden. I think that should be enough but I'll still be sweating bullets on selection Sunday.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:09 am

PC_Friars wrote:What is everyone's opinion of PC beating SJU then 1 and done in BET? With 20 wins, 10-8 reg season and 6, possibly 8 top 50 wins (depending on MQ) I feel like we should be in, but most on our boards are sweating that one out. We feel we need 2 more t lock in, and a loss at SJU pretty much sinks us, unless we made major noise at BET.

I think PC's in as long as the BET loss doesn't come against Depaul.
supernova
kayako

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Looks like it could actually be 7.

70% of the freaking Big East could make the NCAA tournament!!!!

Way to go everyone.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby billyjack » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:46 am

Omaha1 wrote:Looks like it could actually be 7.

70% of the freaking Big East could make the NCAA tournament!!!!

Way to go everyone.

Hey Omaha, i think you're right about getting 7 bids. I think 4 of us including XU punched our tickets today.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board