How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

The home for Big East hoops

How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

4 or less
2%
55%
28%
7+
15%

Total votes : 60

Re: How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

Postby BEhomer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:29 pm

I am less bothered by these idiots thanks to Nova winning it all last year.

Having said that, not sure what Gottlieb means by half. is he saying teams 5-10 is MM? if you take any power conf and take bottom half, they will all look like MM.

I assume what he really meant to say was that the 5 teams in the tourney after NOva and Butler don't impress him. well they'll just have to win some games. if they all bow out in the 1st weekend then we have no argument against the claim that they were all mediocre.

JohnW22 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Gottlieb is such a piece of work....

Doug Gottlieb‏Verified account @GottliebShow 28m28 minutes ago

1-Big East is half MM 2-MW conference is a wreck. 3) BYU has disappointed 4)Illinois State& Middle tennessee have a shot

Saw this didn't know where to put it and didn't feel it deserved its own thread. If the Big East is half mid Major what is the SEC?
BEhomer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 am

Bill Marsh wrote:I don't know if anyone would consider Butler a surprise winner. I'm thinking that anyone but Villanova would be a surprise, but so far Butler seems to have Nova's number.

I should've been more clear. I was trying to dismiss the chance of an unlikely team (basically GT, St. John's, DePaul) taking the auto-bid. I can definitely see Marquette or Providence winning the tournament with the way they're playing right now. Seton Hall's playing well, but they do have a short rotation. Butler's of course one of the favorites, and maybe things start to click for Creighton.

A little OT, but I really hope the BET attendance goes up this year. As far as I can tell, last year's final was the only BET game that has sold out since the league was created. The old BET didn't have too much trouble selling out wednesday (tuesday some years) games. It'll probably require adding a couple of well-traveling fanbases, but we'll see if having the defending national champion can raise the profile of the event.
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:55 am

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:I don't know if anyone would consider Butler a surprise winner. I'm thinking that anyone but Villanova would be a surprise, but so far Butler seems to have Nova's number.

I should've been more clear. I was trying to dismiss the chance of an unlikely team (basically GT, St. John's, DePaul) taking the auto-bid. I can definitely see Marquette or Providence winning the tournament with the way they're playing right now. Seton Hall's playing well, but they do have a short rotation. Butler's of course one of the favorites, and maybe things start to click for Creighton.

A little OT, but I really hope the BET attendance goes up this year. As far as I can tell, last year's final was the only BET game that has sold out since the league was created. The old BET didn't have too much trouble selling out wednesday (tuesday some years) games. It'll probably require adding a couple of well-traveling fanbases, but we'll see if having the defending national champion can raise the profile of the event.

Might be tough this year since the ACC is in NYC as well. Might lose some casual fans....
Jet915

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 am

BEhomer wrote:if they all bow out in the 1st weekend then we have no argument against the claim that they were all mediocre.

Last 3 Tournament results by conference:

ACC: 42-18 (12 teams in sweet 16)
SEC: 21-11 (5)
B1G: 30-20 (8)
Pac12: 20-17 (7)
Big East: 16-14 (2)
Big12: 20-21 (7)

American: 11-9 (2)
A10: 8-12 (1)

It is what it is.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:36 am

Jet915 wrote:Might be tough this year since the ACC is in NYC as well. Might lose some casual fans....

I pray that we don't have to cringe when the numbers come out!
supernova
kayako

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:52 am

kayako wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Might be tough this year since the ACC is in NYC as well. Might lose some casual fans....

I pray that we don't have to cringe when the numbers come out!

I think the fact is that MSG is more accesible and will draw the bussiness casual fan from midtown. That corporate crowd is loyal to MSG. Add to that the fact that 7 teams are fighting for seeding in the NCAA tourney. This league is nasty and can compete with the best in America!! I'll be at the BET at least twice this week. Shooting for three sessions
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:03 pm

If only we had St. Bonaventure.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:I think the fact is that MSG is more accesible and will draw the bussiness casual fan from midtown. That corporate crowd is loyal to MSG. Add to that the fact that 7 teams are fighting for seeding in the NCAA tourney. This league is nasty and can compete with the best in America!! I'll be at the BET at least twice this week. Shooting for three sessions

I am shooting for the entire tournament in 2018. This year I'll just have to cheer on from afar, and praying for Clemson vs. Miami ACCT final... :lol:
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm not worried about BET attendance, but I think Thursday could be improved by switching some game times around.

For example, the first game of the day- Nova vs either Georgetown or St. John's is a noon. That game should definitely be moved into the day's second session. If it ends up being Nova/St. John's- it could sell out the night session as fans of both teams would be able to work a normal day and head over after. Will people take the day off to go? I'm sure plenty will, but a lot more would be there if they didn't have to. Instead, the prime 7:00 game is going to be Butler vs. either Xavier or DePaul. The large majority of fans for those teams are going to be traveling fans who took the week off and will be there in the same numbers regardless of game time.

The same could be said for Seton Hall's game, but I don't think it's worth swapping a game time for just 1 local team (Pirate fans don't like the 9:30 game anyway since it ends so late).

Of course the counterpoint to all this is that team fans will go out of their way to see their team regardless of time while the 7:00 game will always draw the most casual fans, regardless of who's playing. I guess it's a matter of would you rather completely sell out one session, or have pretty good attendance at both?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 am

Any concerns from PC fans. I read a couple of commentators questioning the Friars after losing last night in combination with upsets for Kansas State and TCU which might provide those teams enough to jump PC.
ArmyVet

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board