How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

The home for Big East hoops

How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

4 or less
2%
55%
28%
7+
15%

Total votes : 60

Re: How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:48 pm

MUWarrior1090 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:to say that Marquette at 9-9 would be a lock with a RPI of 70 is comical. They would need to win in the BET in what would likely be a game with Creighton I think. If they are 18-13, things would be really dicey for them. No way would that be a 50/50 shot.

The problem looking at the Matrix is sure they're in a lot of brackets.. But they are in a lot of folks 1st 4 right now where a loss or 2 and they are out.

Also, the one thing that would give me pause for Marquette fans quite frankly is the bracket reveal from a few weeks ago. The committee used RPI quite a lot in that.

If it's comical to say that Marquette would be a lock with an RPI of 70, why did you say in another thread that Syracuse is a lock when their RPI projects to 75?

I never said they would be a lock at 9-9. I said 9-9 with a win in the BET. I would be sweating it out big time at 18-13. And the committee may have used RPI, but they also made it known top 50 wins were very important and MU has 5 of those and would likely end up with 7 if they can get to 19 wins

I know, but Stever said that Syracuse would be a lock after they beat Duke.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 pm

So which fan base is least confident of a bid? I feel like Nova, Butler and Creighton are okay although I acknowledge my Jays are scuffling. We can assume XU is in too, right?

Among Marquette, PC, Hall - who is the least likely to dance?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Omaha1 wrote:So which fan base is least confident of a bid? I feel like Nova, Butler and Creighton are okay although I acknowledge my Jays are scuffling. We can assume XU is in too, right?

Hall.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Omaha1 wrote:So which fan base is least confident of a bid? I feel like Nova, Butler and Creighton are okay although I acknowledge my Jays are scuffling. We can assume XU is in too, right?

Marquette - Lowest current RPI and toughest schedule left.
EMT

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 pm

EMT wrote:

Marquette - Lowest current RPI and toughest schedule left.

I don't know about that. Seton Hall has to play Butler in Hinkle. That's the toughest game any of the 3 have left and is almost a certain loss. They also have to play Georgetown, which can't be counted as a sure win. They are so unpredictable that we never know what to expect from them - which means that they are capable of surprising everyone with a good game.

Marquette gets Creighton at home and then gets Xavier on the road, a team that just lost its 5th game in a row. Those are both winnable games for Marquette. I think they're also capable of winning a game in the BE Tournament. If they win, the RPI will improve. I'll put my money on them right now.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Going to be interesting to see how the tournament committee weighs in on how Xavier did without Sumner but at the same time take into consideration the 3 games without Bluiett.
XU
JohnW22

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:24 pm

JohnW22 wrote:Going to be interesting to see how the tournament committee weighs in on how Xavier did without Sumner but at the same time take into consideration the 3 games without Bluiett.

My guess is you get no relief for Sumner because you lost him for the season and would have to play in the NCAAs without him anyway. But you will get consideration for Bluiett because it was a temporary loss and he's back.
EMT

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:19 pm

EMT wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:Going to be interesting to see how the tournament committee weighs in on how Xavier did without Sumner but at the same time take into consideration the 3 games without Bluiett.

My guess is you get no relief for Sumner because you lost him for the season and would have to play in the NCAAs without him anyway. But you will get consideration for Bluiett because it was a temporary loss and he's back.

I'm not talking relief for not having Sumner. I'm talking them seeing how much worse Xavier is without him. Hoping they don't think Xavier doesn't belong because they don't have Sumner.
XU
JohnW22

Postby herodotus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 pm

JohnW22 wrote:
EMT wrote:

I'm not talking relief for not having Sumner. I'm talking them seeing how much worse Xavier is without him. Hoping they don't think Xavier doesn't belong because they don't have Sumner.

X needs to win a game. Bluiett is back. If they lose to MU, and DePaul, they could actually miss the dance, something that seemed impossible two weeks ago. Their record is now no better than the three bubble teams, and they are now close to being on the bubble themselves. If they lose their last 8 games, there is no way they should get in over any of the other three teams. Can't use the Bluiett excuse if 5 of the losses are with him in the lineup. Can't lose to DePaul, just can't. Losing to DePaul says that without Sumner, you are a crap team. Hard to believe that one player could make that sort of difference, but man, they're collapsing like the 69 Cubs without him. Marquette at home is really a must game to lock up a spot.
herodotus

Postby JohnW22 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 am

If Xavier only beat DePaul it's going to be a long wait till selection Sunday
XU
JohnW22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board