How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

The home for Big East hoops

How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

4 or less
2%
55%
28%
7+
15%

Total votes : 60

Re: How many Big East teams will make the NCAA tourney?

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 am

Hall2012 wrote:I'm not worried about BET attendance, but I think Thursday could be improved by switching some game times around.

For example, the first game of the day- Nova vs either Georgetown or St. John's is a noon. That game should definitely be moved into the day's second session. If it ends up being Nova/St. John's- it could sell out the night session as fans of both teams would be able to work a normal day and head over after. Will people take the day off to go? I'm sure plenty will, but a lot more would be there if they didn't have to. Instead, the prime 7:00 game is going to be Butler vs. either Xavier or DePaul. The large majority of fans for those teams are going to be traveling fans who took the week off and will be there in the same numbers regardless of game time.

The same could be said for Seton Hall's game, but I don't think it's worth swapping a game time for just 1 local team (Pirate fans don't like the 9:30 game anyway since it ends so late).

Of course the counterpoint to all this is that team fans will go out of their way to see their team regardless of time while the 7:00 game will always draw the most casual fans, regardless of who's playing. I guess it's a matter of would you rather completely sell out one session, or have pretty good attendance at both?

They don't know who the teams are seeded when they set the schedule. The fact that St John's played at noon was not part of their calculation, nor would it ever be.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I'm not worried about BET attendance, but I think Thursday could be improved by switching some game times around.

For example, the first game of the day- Nova vs either Georgetown or St. John's is a noon. That game should definitely be moved into the day's second session. If it ends up being Nova/St. John's- it could sell out the night session as fans of both teams would be able to work a normal day and head over after. Will people take the day off to go? I'm sure plenty will, but a lot more would be there if they didn't have to. Instead, the prime 7:00 game is going to be Butler vs. either Xavier or DePaul. The large majority of fans for those teams are going to be traveling fans who took the week off and will be there in the same numbers regardless of game time.

The same could be said for Seton Hall's game, but I don't think it's worth swapping a game time for just 1 local team (Pirate fans don't like the 9:30 game anyway since it ends so late).

Of course the counterpoint to all this is that team fans will go out of their way to see their team regardless of time while the 7:00 game will always draw the most casual fans, regardless of who's playing. I guess it's a matter of would you rather completely sell out one session, or have pretty good attendance at both?

They don't know who the teams are seeded when they set the schedule. The fact that St John's played at noon was not part of their calculation, nor would it ever be.

I know that would never be something taken into account. I'm just saying that if it was, it woud almost certainly boost night session attendance, possibly to a sellout.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:55 am

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

I know that would never be something taken into account. I'm just saying that if it was, it woud almost certainly boost night session attendance, possibly to a sellout.

I'm with you on that. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am

DudeAnon wrote:If only we had St. Bonaventure.

...and St Louis. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board