Young PG talent

The home for Big East hoops

Young PG talent

Postby cujaysfan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:49 pm

hard not to be really impressed with the league's collection of young PG and the contributions teams are getting from them

Ponds at SJU is a flat out stud

Howard at MU might end up being best of bunch - a scary talent at only 17-18

Mintz at CU thrown into a difficult position and giving solid contributions - he's going to be very good

goodwin - got firsthand look at him yesterday - and he stepped into another tough spot and really shined - very talented

i know georgetown has a stud on the way (they better - no one needs a PG more than the hoyas)

brunson is a monster - hard to believe he's only a soph

powell has a lot of talent and will continue to improve for SH

conference is stacked at the PG position for the foreseeable future - going to be a lot of fun battles happening at the point
cujaysfan

Young PG talent

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Young PG talent

Postby xufan02 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm

It is Quentin Goodin for Xavier. Also need to mention Kamar Baldwin of Butler who is the best two way freshman in the Big East.
xufan02

Postby cujaysfan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:18 pm

no slight intended - he's very good player

frankly - not sure why Lewis gets the PT he does
cujaysfan

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:58 pm

cujaysfan wrote:no slight intended - he's very good player

Baldwin is the biggest surprise this year for me. Like you I have no clue why Lewis gets playing time and the bigger question is how he was a McDonalds All American. I was very low on Butler coming into the season because I was expecting Baldwin to be a non factor but I continue to believe he's the reason Butler has been so good this year. I think another important thing about our young talent is they will be here for a few years(other than Patton). These freshman the Big East has aren't 1 and dones but 3-4 year players.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 am

Myles Powell is strictly a shooting guard, not a point guard. The Pirates are currently targeting several point guards because it is absolutely a position of need. The only point guards on the roster of transfers Madison Jones and Jevon Thomas.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:17 am

JohnW22 wrote:
cujaysfan wrote:no slight intended - he's very good player

Baldwin is the biggest surprise this year for me. Like you I have no clue why Lewis gets playing time and the bigger question is how he was a McDonalds All American. I was very low on Butler coming into the season because I was expecting Baldwin to be a non factor but I continue to believe he's the reason Butler has been so good this year. I think another important thing about our young talent is they will be here for a few years(other than Patton). These freshman the Big East has aren't 1 and dones but 3-4 year players.

Lewis is really the only pure point guard on Butler, and at least early on in the season was a big reason why Butler's ball movement was as good as it was (it certainly hasn't been that way in conference play), and while I'd prefer to see Savage get the starting nod and Woodson take more of his minutes, at least on the offensive end, he still doesn't lose the game by controlling the ball. Defensively he just gets abused.

I'll never defend his McDonald's AA selection, seems more and more like a nod to the fact he played at Oak Hill with absolute studs and his dad being a huge promoter of high school talent around the country, but especially in North Carolina.

As many have stated though, the Big East is loaded with young talent, and there are plenty of freshmen on team's rosters who we haven't seen much or anything from that will wind up being major players on their teams going forward.
Irishdawg

Postby FriarsForever » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 am

LMFAO YES!!! PLEASE OVERLOOK PROVIDENCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Maliek White doesn't exist!!! Who was it that said Cartwright would lead the league in assists again??? OK. I'm done. Maliek White. Remember the name.
FriarsForever

Postby BEhomer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am

haven't seen much of White, but Diallo has been more impressive.

I do like the prospect of senior Cartwright and soph Maliek White. PC will be right back in it next year.
BEhomer

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

FriarsForever wrote:LMFAO YES!!! PLEASE OVERLOOK PROVIDENCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Maliek White doesn't exist!!! Who was it that said Cartwright would lead the league in assists again??? OK. I'm done. Maliek White. Remember the name.

How hard do Friars fans search for reasons to feel slighted? Cartwright is a junior, so he doesn't qualify as young. And Maliek White averages 2.6 points and 1.3 assists in 11 minutes a game. Sure, his per 40 numbers would be pretty decent, but at only 11 minutes per game I think you can forgive fans of other teams for not being too familiar with him.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am

FriarsForever wrote:LMFAO YES!!! PLEASE OVERLOOK PROVIDENCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Maliek White doesn't exist!!! Who was it that said Cartwright would lead the league in assists again??? OK. I'm done. Maliek White. Remember the name.

Maybe a touch sensitive...

1). Per your prediction about Cartwright, you are a Mo Watson ACL tear from being wrong there.

2). Maleik White - 2.6PPG, 0.9 rebs, 1.3 A

Others mentioned:
Ponds - 17.2 PPG, 4.7 R, 3.1 A
Brunson - 14.4; 2.5; 4.2
Howard - 12.0, 2.0, 2.0
Baldwin - 10.3, 3.2, 1.3
Goodin - 4.2, 1.3, 2.3
Mintz - 7.2, 2.0, 3.0 (since MW injury)

Others not mentioned:
Sumner - 15.0, 4.3, 5.0
Lovett - 17.2, 3.2, 3.8
DiVencenzo - 7.5, 3.2, 1.5
Gage - 4.0, 1.0, 1.0

I'm not saying that Maleik White might not end up being a very good player. But to this point I'm not sure you could point to a huge slight in not including him on this list. Now not including Sumner who is only a Soph and Lovett are major slights. Also as a homer, I think DD at Nova could have been included, but not a big deal b/c he is a role player.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Return to Big East basketball message board