(4) Saturday Big East Games 2/4/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Saturday Big East Games 2/4/17

Postby Jet915 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:47 pm

JohnW22 wrote:Can anybody give anything close to a reasonable explanation how Justin Patton couldn't guard Tyrique Jones. I can't get my head around that.

Patton is not a great one on one post defender. He doesnt have enough strength. His help side D is great though.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cu blujs » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Xudash wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:This Creighton team is a shell of itself without Watson.

Yet we're down by 2.

They are back to the old Creighton teams. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Creighton did not die by the three today. Creighton died by the free throw. Hit those free throws and its X pressing at the end
cu blujs

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:01 pm

This is the true road win Xavier's needed all season. Xavier's freshman played better than I would have ever expected and the experienced Bluiett and Macura put it away. Now Xavier has to win out at home besides Nova and win @Providence and @Depual.
XU
JohnW22

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

cu blujs wrote:
Creighton did not die by the three today. Creighton died by the free throw. Hit those free throws and its X pressing at the end

Creighton would've been blown out had they not hit threes today
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby X @ Heart » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Had to Dvr the game, just finished. X and CU, great game. Especially for the X fans lol. Im blown away how our two freshmen are playing. Huge win for X, we reqlly needed that on our resume. Bluiett has been the man. Finally seeing Gates get back to hisself as well. Love this conference. Huge game next saturday with hige Big East and national implications.
X @ Heart

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
cu blujs wrote:

That's true. We would lose most games if we didn't hit threes. Conversely, XU would have been blown out if they didn't make 8 second half threes. Most college teams lose when they don't make threes.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby LookoutMuskie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:37 am

Omaha1 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
cu blujs wrote:

That's true. We would lose most games if we didn't hit threes. Conversely, XU would have been blown out if they didn't make 8 second half threes. Most college teams lose when they don't make threes.

Agreed. This game was similar to the game at X a couple weeks ago. X missed a ton of free throws, Creighton executed for much of the game and won. Today, Creighton missed a ton of free throws, X executed down the stretch and won. The real shame is that we'll never get to see these two teams play at full strength against one another with those elite point guards. Who wouldn't have paid to watch an X-Creighton final in NYC this year with Sumner battling Watson for the title??
LookoutMuskie

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:43 am

Hall2012 wrote:Ugly game, but important to end the losing streak. With a couple more winnable games coming up, hopefully the Pirates can build on it and get back to .500 in conference.

On a side note, very impressive job by Georgetown to tighten up its defense down the stretch. After committing a lot of fouls through the first 3 quarters of the game (not all their fault, it was a very tight whistle today), they were able to stay disciplined and not commit a single one over the final 8 minutes of regulation plus overtime (until the intentional one at the end of course). And of course, while still playing very tough defense. If they could defend like that all the time, they'd be very tough to beat.

Good game Hoyas, I know it was a tough one for you guys. I'm still hoping the selection committee will reward you guys for the tough schedule and 3 awesome wins.

I just don't see how the committee will. Georgetown may need 4 wins in their final 7 to just make the NIT quite frankly. Even with the 3 big wins. End of the day your record means something. Until we see 17-15 teams getting in the tourney, I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable about the Hoya's chances right now.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 am

Literally no discussion of Nova's win of St. John's. I missed the game due to a birthday party, but it must not have been very interesting.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:22 am

Recap of Nova - SJU:

Nova up big early. SJU claws back to within 10. Nova extends to another big lead. SJU claws back to within 10. Nova's D really good early. Got really sloppy with big leads (23 turnovers). Oh and Nova has another white Italian guard that the rest of the league will come to hate.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board