(4) Saturday Big East Games 2/4/17

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:02 pm

12pm- Seton Hall @ Georgetown, FS1 Joe Davis, Len Elmore
Line: Georgetown -3.5

2pm- Marquette @ DePaul, FS1--Tim Brando, Stephen Bardo
Line: Marquette -7

3pm- Xavier @ Creighton, FOX - Gus Johnson, Jim Jackson, Shannon Spake
Line: Creighton -5.5

8pm- St. John's @ Villanova, CBSSN --Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas and Jamie Erdahl
Line: Villanova -18.5
Last edited by MUPanther on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

(4) Saturday Big East Games 2/4/17

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (4) Saturday Big East Games 2/4/17

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:09 pm

I guarantee the Friars will not lose tomorrow.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:34 pm

2 huge games. Marquette desperately needs to get back in the win column and has a good chance to do so against DePaul. Then Seton Hall @ Georgetown is as close to an elimination game as you can get in the first week of February. The consensus among the Seton Hall community (or at least those who haven't already given up) is that a loss at Georgetown ends all realistic hope for an at large bid. I'd imagine the feeling from the Georgetown side is very similar.

Hall fans, myself included, have thrown the term "must win" around pretty loosely of late. They were all games that would have been extremely helpful wins, but the next 3 are now games that they simply can't afford to lose.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Hall2012 wrote:2 huge games. Marquette desperately needs to get back in the win column and has a good chance to do so against DePaul. Then Seton Hall @ Georgetown is as close to an elimination game as you can get in the first week of February. The consensus among the Seton Hall community (or at least those who haven't already given up) is that a loss at Georgetown ends all realistic hope for an at large bid. I'd imagine the feeling from the Georgetown side is very similar.

Hall fans, myself included, have thrown the term "must win" around pretty loosely of late. They were all games that would have been extremely helpful wins, but the next 3 are now games that they simply can't afford to lose.

Those are the huge games? I guess to you since the Hall is playing. I'd call Nova vs. StJ and CU vs. X bigger than 5 vs. 10 and a 7 vs. 9.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:04 pm

In terms of making the tourney, Seton Hall vs Georgetown is way more important than either of the other 2 games. The loser of the game will have an extremely small chance of making the tourney.

And for Marquette, a loss to DePaul would really hurt as they would need to go 4-3 bare minimum to have any chance from here, if not 5-2- and their remaining schedule has 4 games with the top 4 teams left.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:2 huge games. Marquette desperately needs to get back in the win column and has a good chance to do so against DePaul. Then Seton Hall @ Georgetown is as close to an elimination game as you can get in the first week of February. The consensus among the Seton Hall community (or at least those who haven't already given up) is that a loss at Georgetown ends all realistic hope for an at large bid. I'd imagine the feeling from the Georgetown side is very similar.

Those are the huge games? I guess to you since the Hall is playing. I'd call Nova vs. StJ and CU vs. X bigger than 5 vs. 10 and a 7 vs. 9.

C'mon Wiz...Vegas and the majority of the public expects 'Nova and the Jays to win their tilts. Marquette and the Hall have to win to stay in NCAA discussions. Georgetown wins and they vault into the Bubble category. I'd call them important games.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 pm

If Xavier doesn't want to be in that 8-10 seed range I'd think they'd have to steal 1/3 of @Creighton, @Seton Hall, and @Marquette...hopefully that one comes tomorrow, but I don't see it.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:

C'mon Wiz...Vegas and the majority of the public expects 'Nova and the Jays to win their tilts. Marquette and the Hall have to win to stay in NCAA discussions. Georgetown wins and they vault into the Bubble category. I'd call them important games.

Everybody has to beat DePaul, so that's not a big game. Would you call Clemson vs. Wake Forest a huge game? Sorry, but Seton Hall vs. Georgetown is the same.

Nova, CU and X are playing for seeds in the tournament. The Johnnies are playing a top 10 team. I'd call those bigger games, but it just depends on who you're rooting for.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:11 am

Yes. Nova, CU, and X are pretty much NCAA Tournament locks while SJU has no realistic chance of an at-large bid. The two I mentioned are massive for the tournament chances of 3 of the 4 teams.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:17 am

gtmoBlue wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:Those are the huge games? I guess to you since the Hall is playing. I'd call Nova vs. StJ and CU vs. X bigger than 5 vs. 10 and a 7 vs. 9.

Everybody has to beat DePaul, so that's not a big game. Would you call Clemson vs. Wake Forest a huge game? Sorry, but Seton Hall vs. Georgetown is the same.

Nova, CU and X are playing for seeds in the tournament. The Johnnies are playing a top 10 team. I'd call those bigger games, but it just depends on who you're rooting for.

Sorry, but I just don't see the argument for how games in which all 4 teams already know their postseason fates are bigger than games in which 3 of the 4 teams are very much alive, but fighting for their lives.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board