Ed Sumner torn ACL. Season ending

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Ed Sumner torn ACL. Season ending

Postby xavierfano8 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Sumner will have an interesting choice about coming back or leaving, that's for sure. The thought before the season was that he would definitely be gone after this year. Now with the ACL on top of a shoulder that already needed surgery it will be a tough decision. Does he go now and maybe (likely) slip to the 2nd round? Or does he come back and risk injury again? I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make that call.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 pm

That was an ugly injury. They showed the replay once and the announcers said, "we don't need to see that again." and thankfully they didn't show it again. When he landed his leg hyperextended at the knee. It was gross. He's a really special player and can't wait to see him back on the court next year for X.
NJRedman

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Sorry for the poor kid.
hoyahooligan

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Sorry to X fans, this sucks. Hopefully Sumner decides to come back next year and be better than ever. I'm sure some NBA team might use a 2nd round pick on him but it's gonna take 6 months or more to recover fully from an ACL, hopefully he decides to come back to X.
Jet915

Postby kmacker69 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Feel for him and hope the best for him...
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby cu blujs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 am

IMO, he should come back to X at this point. Even if he gets surgery by March 15, six months is September 15 - and frankly the chances of him being fully back by then are slim. Six months is typically the bare minimum to be released for play, and he would leave himself very vulnerable to a re-tear if he tries to play at a professional level before he has fully strengthened the leg and established equilibrium in the strength of both legs and hips. By that point, his chances of making an opening day roster would seem to be slim. No team is going to use a first round pick on him, and a second round pick or free agency means no guaranteed contract. He could play in Europe or D-league for a while and hope to catch on an NBA team at some point. But, to me (and its just my opinion) unless he simply has no interest in school, it seems to me that it would be in his best interest to go back to X, rehab, make sure the knee is fully healed and he has fully strengthened his leg muscles again, use next school year to get his game back and then enter the draft, instead of having the pressure to try to make a professional team while he is still (or should be still) concentrating on full rehab of his knee.
cu blujs

Postby Xavier4036 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 pm

The consensus before the injury happened was there was about a 0-5% chance that either Bluiett or Sumner would be returning to Xavier next year.

Now it sounds like Sumner and family are at least open to the idea of returning and will do their research/seek advice.

He also has to have surgery to repair his shoulder. I am hearing surgery immediately to fix the knee and then in 3-4 months surgery for the shoulder.

I just feel absolutely terrible for him. Elite player but even better person. Really, really sucks for the league in what was such a promising start to the season for the BE that two first-team players are out for the year in Watson and Ed.
Xavier4036

Postby XU85 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:18 pm

On a positive note, it was nice to see all the well wishes and prayers he received from around the conference including coaches McDermott, Wojo, and Wright, as well as Mo Watson. The surprise for me was Isiah Whitehead also tweeted out. I'll have to re-formulate my opinion of him.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Best wishes to a fine young player. I absolutely hate seeing these season ending injuries.
ArmyVet

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board