Bracketology '17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology '17

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm

EMT wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:Lunardi's had both Louisville and West Virginia in Nova's bracket for a while now. I think he's just trying to channel his inner-THWND spirit to doom Nova. I really hope at least Louisville stays the hell away from our side of the bracket.

Lunardi still has Gonzaga on the 1-line. I suspect that the committee will drop them to a 2 or a 3, which might open the West for Louisville as the 1.

I don't see that... It's Gonzaga or Oregon if they are Pac-12 champ.

I'm sure you're right. But the thing is that UCLA has as good a chance of winning that tournament as those two do. Maybe better. If UCLA wins that tournament, none of them projects as a 1-seed.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Just your annual reminder that Lunardi is not the most accurate bracketogist at all. And he seems to give error on the side of underrating Big East teams.

Here are more accurate ones: http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Lunardi is #22 though. The one that really sucks is Jerry Palm, he is #61....
stever20

Postby EMT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:48 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Just your annual reminder that Lunardi is not the most accurate bracketogist at all. And he seems to give error on the side of underrating Big East teams.

Was just going to post this.... Gonzaga still a consensus #1 and Oregon the top #2
EMT

Postby MUPanther » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:02 pm

milksteak wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Jerry Palm's Bracketology - CBS Sports - updated Sunday morning, February 26th

Seed No. - Team
1 - Villanova
3 - Butler
6 - Creighton
9 - Xavier
10 - Seton Hall
11 - Providence
11 - Marquette (play-in game at UD Arena)

Last four in: Rhode Island, Marquette, Syracuse, Wake Forest

I hate to b*tch, but it would be pretty freakin' ridiculous if Wisconsin plays in Milwaukee as a #6. Might as well just give them the Sweet Sixteen.

See of red at the Bradley Center. Building so loud you can't hear yourself. Yes, it's a joke!
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUWarrior1090 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:05 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Just your annual reminder that Lunardi is not the most accurate bracketogist at all. And he seems to give error on the side of underrating Big East teams.

The top 5 in the rankings all have 7 Big East teams in the field.
MUWarrior1090

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:08 pm

EMT wrote:

Was just going to post this.... Gonzaga still a consensus #1 and Oregon the top #2

Does that matter? None of them are decision makers. Gonzaga has dropped to #11 RPI. Even if/when they win their tournament, they're still not back to a top 4 or 5 RPI. Unless the committee is going to completely disregard that, it's the PAC-12 champ or someone from another region.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
EMT wrote:

Does that matter? None of them are decision makers. Gonzaga has dropped to #11 RPI. Even if/when they win their tournament, they're still not back to a top 4 or 5 RPI. Unless the committee is going to completely disregard that, it's the PAC-12 champ or someone from another region.

Yeah, I guess I'm saying RPI doesn't matter. Otherwise, schools like PC & MU wouldn't be on the bubble at their RPIs. There must be other things more important these days.
EMT

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 pm

EMT wrote:
There must be other things more important these days.

I don't know if 'important' is the right word in this instance, but the Selection Committee has repeatedly said that they take other advanced metrics into consideration. ESPN does not release the details of their proprietary BPI calculations, but the BPI likes Marquette a lot more than the RPI does:

Who were this week's BPI winners and losers? - ESPN - Monday February 27th

Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:41 pm

EMT wrote:
Yeah, I guess I'm saying RPI doesn't matter. Otherwise, schools like PC & MU wouldn't be on the bubble at their RPIs. There must be other things more important these days.

Is there anything to support that belief? I am guessing nothing tracks the seed list better than the RPI. Until the committee shows otherwise, the RPI is the most important metric.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board