Bracketology '17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology '17

Postby milksteak » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:28 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Jerry Palm's Bracketology - CBS Sports - updated Sunday morning, February 26th

Seed No. - Team
1 - Villanova
3 - Butler
6 - Creighton
9 - Xavier
10 - Seton Hall
11 - Providence
11 - Marquette (play-in game at UD Arena)

Last four in: Rhode Island, Marquette, Syracuse, Wake Forest

I hate to b*tch, but it would be pretty freakin' ridiculous if Wisconsin plays in Milwaukee as a #6. Might as well just give them the Sweet Sixteen.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

Hall2012 wrote:Lunardi now has Seton Hall, Providence, and Marquette all going to Dayton for the first four. It's the exception to the rule that would prevent any Big East teams from meeting each other prior to the regional semi-final (or regional final for teams who meet in the BET).

What's the exception?
Bill Marsh

Postby flyerlax06 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Lunardi now has Seton Hall, Providence, and Marquette all going to Dayton for the first four. It's the exception to the rule that would prevent any Big East teams from meeting each other prior to the regional semi-final (or regional final for teams who meet in the BET).

What's the exception?

The first four is. Normally, teams from the same conference cannot meet in the first 1, 2, or 3 rounds of the NCAA tournament, dependent on how many times they met during the regular season. They will waive that rule for the first four though. You can see it in the link I posted in the "How many Big East teams..." thread.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

What's the exception?

The first four is. Normally, teams from the same conference cannot meet in the first 1, 2, or 3 rounds of the NCAA tournament, dependent on how many times they met during the regular season. They will waive that rule for the first four though. You can see it in the link I posted in the "How many Big East teams..." thread.

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of that. I was only aware of the first 3 rounds rule for teams that had played twice and the first 4 rounds for teams who had met 3 times.

It seems really dumb to have a play in for teams that have already played 2-3 times.they should have plenty of comparative data.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Lunardi's had both Louisville and West Virginia in Nova's bracket for a while now. I think he's just trying to channel his inner-THWND spirit to doom Nova. I really hope at least Louisville stays the hell away from our side of the bracket.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
What's the exception?

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of that. I was only aware of the first 3 rounds rule for teams that had played twice and the first 4 rounds for teams who had met 3 times.

It seems really dumb to have a play in for teams that have already played 2-3 times.they should have plenty of comparative data.

I tend to agree, though I'd rather place a conference mate in the first four than be left out completely. In this case, if the bracket wound up looking something like what Lunardi has, I'd actually expect Seton Hall to be swapped with California as that last bye. I really don't see what part of Cal's resume gets them that bye over SHU, especially considering the Pirates' head to head win on a neutral floor. That would also leave the Big East with just 2 teams in Dayton and avoid the issue altogether.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby EMT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Considering how valuable NCAA shares are it would be a travesty if any conference played each other in the 1st round.
EMT

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:03 pm

kayako wrote:Lunardi's had both Louisville and West Virginia in Nova's bracket for a while now. I think he's just trying to channel his inner-THWND spirit to doom Nova. I really hope at least Louisville stays the hell away from our side of the bracket.

Lunardi still has Gonzaga on the 1-line. I suspect that the committee will drop them to a 2 or a 3, which might open the West for Louisville as the 1.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:Lunardi's had both Louisville and West Virginia in Nova's bracket for a while now. I think he's just trying to channel his inner-THWND spirit to doom Nova. I really hope at least Louisville stays the hell away from our side of the bracket.

Lunardi still has Gonzaga on the 1-line. I suspect that the committee will drop them to a 2 or a 3, which might open the West for Louisville as the 1.

I don't see that... It's Gonzaga or Oregon if they are Pac-12 champ.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board