Bracketology '17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology '17

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 pm

I didn't lift the Pirates off the bubble, unless you think(or mean) the last four spots. Anyone one in the last 8 in or first 8 out is definitely a "bubble" team(who thought Tulsa was getting in last year?). IMO, Seton Hall is in the last 4 byes group right now(11 or 12 seed), but who really knows?? This is just my first hard quick look at the bubble, there's probably like 10 more teams you could easily put on my list. For the last 8 spots there are probably close to 20 candidates.
Westbrook#36

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm

stever20 wrote:the number of tourney units pales in comparison to the number of sweet 16 or better teams in importance. The casual fans do not give a rip about the tourney units. Only hard core fans do. But casual fans do care about who makes the sweet 16 or further.

The number of units determines how much money the league makes from the tournament, so it's very important.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:the number of tourney units pales in comparison to the number of sweet 16 or better teams in importance. The casual fans do not give a rip about the tourney units. Only hard core fans do. But casual fans do care about who makes the sweet 16 or further.

The number of units determines how much money the league makes from the tournament, so it's very important.

perception of a conference isn't based on the tourney units, it's based on teams going far in the tourney.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:33 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

perception of a conference isn't based on the tourney units, it's based on teams going far in the tourney.

That's fine. For those who are concerned with perception. There are other considerations which are at least as important for the long term health of the conference.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I didn't lift the Pirates off the bubble, unless you think(or mean) the last four spots. Anyone one in the last 8 in or first 8 out is definitely a "bubble" team(who thought Tulsa was getting in last year?). IMO, Seton Hall is in the last 4 byes group right now(11 or 12 seed), but who really knows?? This is just my first hard quick look at the bubble, there's probably like 10 more teams you could easily put on my list. For the last 8 spots there are probably close to 20 candidates.

I just mean the way you had it written (with them not listed among contenders and me not being sure who else the 5th BE team in could be), seemed to suggest that you considered them above contention for those last 4 spots, which would mean safely in.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm

The tourney performance matters. Like it or not, the reason the Big East has gotten the respect this year that it's gotten is due to one and only one thing. Nova's run last year. Remember last year how everyone fell all over themselves with the ACC due to how great they did in the tourney. That's normal.
stever20

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:I didn't lift the Pirates off the bubble, unless you think(or mean) the last four spots. Anyone one in the last 8 in or first 8 out is definitely a "bubble" team(who thought Tulsa was getting in last year?). IMO, Seton Hall is in the last 4 byes group right now(11 or 12 seed), but who really knows?? This is just my first hard quick look at the bubble, there's probably like 10 more teams you could easily put on my list. For the last 8 spots there are probably close to 20 candidates.

I just mean the way you had it written (with them not listed among contenders and me not being sure who else the 5th BE team in could be), seemed to suggest that you considered them above contention for those last 4 spots, which would mean safely in.

I guess so? If the tourney started today, I personally would have them "safely" in, if you can consider being the 5th or 6th to last team in "safely". Again remember Tulsa last year, I don't think anyone in the last 8 in is safely in, until they see their match-up called on selection Sunday. That could just be me though.
Westbrook#36

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:57 pm

I agree with you. I just thought it would've been appropriate to list them among contenders for the last 4 in, that's all I'm saying.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 pm

stever20 wrote:The tourney performance matters. Like it or not, the reason the Big East has gotten the respect this year that it's gotten is due to one and only one thing. Nova's run last year. Remember last year how everyone fell all over themselves with the ACC due to how great they did in the tourney. That's normal.

Doesn't last long, does it? UConn has only 2 seasons between them and their 4th national title. Yet, every time I turn around someone is telling me that their program is a "disaster". :roll:
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 pm

It'd be embarrassing if only one team made the second weekend again. But how important is sliding down 1 or 2 spots? I suppose 8/9 is the worst spot, and maybe 7/10 as well, but I doubt sliding from 4 or 5 to 6 is a big deal if the conference has multiple teams at these spots. At least not big enough to ignore the cost of having less teams in the tournament.

Money = better coaching staff, better recruiting, better facilities? Tournament credits pales in comparison to nothing, JMHO.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board