(2) Sunday Games UVA/Nova & X/St . John's

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Sunday Games UVA/Nova & X/St . John's

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:16 pm

I spent the first 30 minutes of the game cursing the TV, glad the last 10 worked out. Didn't play that well, but Virginia does that to most teams, they make you win ugly don't they? Well lots to learn from this, just ecstatic that we get to learn after a W instead of an L. Whew!!!
Westbrook#36

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 pm

great game, should go a long way in helping secure a 1 seed.
Jet915

Postby DeePhence » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 pm

It seems to me that Villanova has only one way to play on offense.
Drives and kick outs with 3 or four guys who can shoot threes on the floor at all times. If the three isn't falling, or if like today, the opponent's defense is so stiffling with good rotations and excellent man-to-man footwork to gum up the lane, they struggle.
I didn't see the Marquette game, but the Notre Dame and Butler games, as well as today were days when Plan A wasn't working. They don't really have a plan B, but they do have ultimate confidence and faith that if they stick with Plan A they will eventually get it going. They did against ND, and got it going enough in Hinkle that they could've and should've won that game if it weren't for a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes at the end.
Today, they were horrid for like 26 minutes of the game but stayed in touch from the foul line. But they just keep doing what they do and never ever panic. They've been there before and they're supremely mature and confident. They just keep doing what they do and when you have those guys they have, Plan A will usually eventually be good enough.
Great game - great win for the league.
Hoping for a let down Wednesday night in the Dunk.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:52 pm

DeePhence wrote:It seems to me that Villanova has only one way to play on offense.
Drives and kick outs with 3 or four guys who can shoot threes on the floor at all times. If the three isn't falling, or if like today, the opponent's defense is so stiffling with good rotations and excellent man-to-man footwork to gum up the lane, they struggle.
I didn't see the Marquette game, but the Notre Dame and Butler games, as well as today were days when Plan A wasn't working. They don't really have a plan B, but they do have ultimate confidence and faith that if they stick with Plan A they will eventually get it going. They did against ND, and got it going enough in Hinkle that they could've and should've won that game if it weren't for a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes at the end.
Today, they were horrid for like 26 minutes of the game but stayed in touch from the foul line. But they just keep doing what they do and never ever panic. They've been there before and they're supremely mature and confident. They just keep doing what they do and when you have those guys they have, Plan A will usually eventually be good enough.

Agree. Very poised team.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I spent the first 30 minutes of the game cursing the TV, glad the last 10 worked out. Didn't play that well, but Virginia does that to most teams, they make you win ugly don't they? Well lots to learn from this, just ecstatic that we get to learn after a W instead of an L. Whew!!!

Yes, Virginia does do that to you.

I was giving my TV the same abuse. DiVicenzo's basket was his only score of the game. In fact, his only shot attempt.

Villanova has to be happy that Bridges decided to turn into the star of the game down the stretch and that Hart & Jenkins finally hit some shots.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:08 pm

DeePhence wrote:It seems to me that Villanova has only one way to play on offense.

We've been fearing this, the offense isn't as dynamic without Ochefu.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:39 pm

kayako wrote:

No doubt. It seemed like he could score at will last year when they needed to go down low.
Bill Marsh

Postby Noonzy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Great win Nova!
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby DeePhence » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:47 pm

kayako wrote:

That's what many of us non-Nova fans would call a first world problem!

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby MUPanther » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board