Ponds / Lovett

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Ponds / Lovett

Postby SJHooper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 am

Nildogg wrote:I certainly respect and appreciate what Ponds has done for STJ this year, but I do find that he's getting quite a lot of love at times when Kamar Baldwin may be deserving. I think Baldwin would have been a pretty good choice for FOW this past week.

Doesn't really matter, and honestly, I'll gladly keep him under the radar as much as we can. He may end up being an early exit with the talent he's showing.

Question, is Ponds early NBA material? Likely?

There are scouts aware of him but he still looks like a 16 yr old. Announcers regularly say that if Ponds were 2-3 inches taller (he's only 6'0) he would be taken in the draft within the first round. He's not very physically gifted but he is smooth as butter. He has a perfect finger roll and it's shocking when he doesn't finish, even in traffic. He can also get red hot from anywhere on the court with his jumpshots. You better guard him out to NBA range, because he will take it...and make it. He's a very calm and under control player...a quiet leader. He never panics the kid has ice in his veins. So I would say the answer is yes, in a few years but hopefully he stays 4 with us.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 am

SJHooper wrote:
Nildogg wrote:I certainly respect and appreciate what Ponds has done for STJ this year, but I do find that he's getting quite a lot of love at times when Kamar Baldwin may be deserving. I think Baldwin would have been a pretty good choice for FOW this past week.

Doesn't really matter, and honestly, I'll gladly keep him under the radar as much as we can. He may end up being an early exit with the talent he's showing.

Question, is Ponds early NBA material? Likely?

There are scouts aware of him but he still looks like a 16 yr old. Announcers regularly say that if Ponds were 2-3 inches taller (he's only 6'0) he would be taken in the draft within the first round. He's not very physically gifted but he is smooth as butter. He has a perfect finger roll and it's shocking when he doesn't finish, even in traffic. He can also get red hot from anywhere on the court with his jumpshots. You better guard him out to NBA range, because he will take it...and make it. He's a very calm and under control player...a quiet leader. He never panics the kid has ice in his veins. So I would say the answer is yes, in a few years but hopefully he stays 4 with us.

One thing you can be sure of is that when a high school or college player is listed at 6'0", he's not that tall. RecruittheBronx.com listed him at 5'9" last year. I don't know what his true height is but if he's under 6'0", he'd be wise to stay at St John's for 4 years and get his degree before taking a shit at the NBA.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board