Ponds / Lovett

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Ponds / Lovett

Postby SJHooper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:17 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
mcnaug167 wrote:
Storm Fan wrote:Bimmers are better than blowjobs

Storm fan, I enjoyed this.

Bill, it's a $140k car. If it was true, you honestly wouldn't assume any wrongdoing?

I wouldn't assume anything. What would be the point? There are facts. Might as well wait until they're known. If there's wrongdoing, it will come out.

Bill, with all due respect, how can you possibly not be reading between the lines here? Most middle to upper middle class freshmen kids in college these days are lucky to have a 5 yr old Honda Civic for about $12-15k. I had a 2003 Honda Civic in 2007, my freshman year in college and that was considered a nice car for that stage in life. The BMW i8 is an easy $150k...I would know, I drive a BMW and I remember looking in the showroom. Ponds is a great kid, but he's not from Greenwich, CT or the gold coast of Long Island in Manhasset. He's from inner-city Brooklyn...the non-hipster real Brooklyn side of Brooklyn. So we know there is no way he could have legitimately purchased this or had a family member purchase it. What other possible scenarios does that leave us? Rent? Well, that would make him look ridiculous if he rented a car when the caption said "you welcome momma"...that implies it's a gift that was purchased for her to own. An agent bought it for him? Maybe, but if that's the case isn't that illegal too? How can you have an agent as a freshman in college? The only other possibility is some shady dealings within the university. Now don't get me wrong, I know this stuff happens all over and Ponds is a great kid...I'm happy to see him being successful and it's very thoughtful to do that for his mother, but it's just jarring to see it in plain sight right in front of your eyes. If we have a freshman at SJ getting a $150k car, just imagine what's going on at places like Texas, Alabama, Florida State, etc. huge state funded football schools.

It's just bad publicity and the fact that he took it down as many urged him to proves my point. You don't take something down if there's nothing shady about it. I don't want an NCAA investigation on our hands. And to the PC fans wondering if that was the difference in him coming here, it wasn't. He said repeatedly that he wanted to stay home and represent his city. He has a lot of pride here. Lavin struggled in many areas, but his social media ban may have been his smartest idea. 18 year olds want to flaunt and they don't think about consequences before they post.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 am

SJHooper wrote:Redmen banned my IP address so very funny how you think I'm still on there haha I just read it I can't make any account or post you moron. If your IP gets blocked it doesn't matter what device you use...you are banned permanently. And even if there were a way around it, I don't care and won't try to. Good thing you aren't a detective because you are terrible at it.

Regarding the pic, I have proof...I screenshotted it before he took it down. And how can we assume it's not shady? A freshman from a poor inner city area is giving a $150,000 car to his mother. That doesn't make your radar go off? If it doesn't, you must be drunk.

You should be the last person calling anyone a moron. You've proven you're a moron on hundreds of occasions. I'll add a narcissists, nutjob, and an ignorant bigot (I guess that's redundant, huh) to boot, wuss.

Again, you've been banned everywhere you've posted (numerous times), but it's because someone or others had it out for you, right? Got it! By the way, who you think busted you a few times.... So, much for my lack of being able to detect. Oh, well.

As, far as Ponds' car is concerned, I have no idea about it or concerns about it.
Red Rooster

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:21 am

I agree with the wait and see approach. It certainly doesn't sound good, but I'm not ready to crucify the kid or program yet. I remember how annoying it was listening to SJU fans jump all over SHU for their "shady dealings" and how an NCAA investigation was definitely coming over them legally hiring Tiny Morton for Isaiah Whitehead, so I don't want to do the same.

That being said, if there is something here, they need to stay ahead of the NCAA on it. Announce they're opening an internal investigation, then in a few weeks announce that some booster bought it behind Mullins back and he had no idea (unless, of course, there's damning evidence against Mullin, which I doubt and certainly hope not). Then declare Ponds ineligible and self impose sanctions including a post-season ban for this year, vacate all wins from this season, and suspend Mullin for the rest of the year. Then the NCAA will come in and say "yeah, those sanctions are good enough" (unless that's just special UNC and Syracuse treatment) and the whole thing will be gone with as little impact on next year as possible.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 am

SJHooper wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
mcnaug167 wrote:

Bill, it's a $140k car. If it was true, you honestly wouldn't assume any wrongdoing?

I wouldn't assume anything. What would be the point? There are facts. Might as well wait until they're known. If there's wrongdoing, it will come out.

Bill, with all due respect, how can you possibly not be reading between the lines here? Most middle to upper middle class freshmen kids in college these days are lucky to have a 5 yr old Honda Civic for about $12-15k. I had a 2003 Honda Civic in 2007, my freshman year in college and that was considered a nice car for that stage in life. The BMW i8 is an easy $150k...I would know, I drive a BMW and I remember looking in the showroom. Ponds is a great kid, but he's not from Greenwich, CT or the gold coast of Long Island in Manhasset. He's from inner-city Brooklyn...the non-hipster real Brooklyn side of Brooklyn. So we know there is no way he could have legitimately purchased this or had a family member purchase it. What other possible scenarios does that leave us? Rent? Well, that would make him look ridiculous if he rented a car when the caption said "you welcome momma"...that implies it's a gift that was purchased for her to own. An agent bought it for him? Maybe, but if that's the case isn't that illegal too? How can you have an agent as a freshman in college? The only other possibility is some shady dealings within the university. Now don't get me wrong, I know this stuff happens all over and Ponds is a great kid...I'm happy to see him being successful and it's very thoughtful to do that for his mother, but it's just jarring to see it in plain sight right in front of your eyes. If we have a freshman at SJ getting a $150k car, just imagine what's going on at places like Texas, Alabama, Florida State, etc. huge state funded football schools.

It's just bad publicity and the fact that he took it down as many urged him to proves my point. You don't take something down if there's nothing shady about it. I don't want an NCAA investigation on our hands. And to the PC fans wondering if that was the difference in him coming here, it wasn't. He said repeatedly that he wanted to stay home and represent his city. He has a lot of pride here. Lavin struggled in many areas, but his social media ban may have been his smartest idea. 18 year olds want to flaunt and they don't think about consequences before they post.

I don't dispute anything you say. All I'm saying is, I don't know.
Bill Marsh

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:33 am

Hall2012 wrote:I agree with the wait and see approach. It certainly doesn't sound good, but I'm not ready to crucify the kid or program yet. I remember how annoying it was listening to SJU fans jump all over SHU for their "shady dealings" and how an NCAA investigation was definitely coming over them legally hiring Tiny Morton for Isaiah Whitehead, so I don't want to do the same.

There was an extremely, small minority of St. John's fans screaming about Seton Hall and "shady dealings" when it came to them and Whitehead. One of them happened to be (ahem) Hooper.
Red Rooster

Postby SJHooper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:01 am

Red Rooster wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Redmen banned my IP address so very funny how you think I'm still on there haha I just read it I can't make any account or post you moron. If your IP gets blocked it doesn't matter what device you use...you are banned permanently. And even if there were a way around it, I don't care and won't try to. Good thing you aren't a detective because you are terrible at it.

Regarding the pic, I have proof...I screenshotted it before he took it down. And how can we assume it's not shady? A freshman from a poor inner city area is giving a $150,000 car to his mother. That doesn't make your radar go off? If it doesn't, you must be drunk.

You should be the last person calling anyone a moron. You've proven you're a moron on hundreds of occasions. I'll add a narcissists, nutjob, and an ignorant bigot (I guess that's redundant, huh) to boot, wuss.

Again, you've been banned everywhere you've posted (numerous times), but it's because someone or others had it out for you, right? Got it! By the way, who you think busted you a few times.... So, much for my lack of being able to detect. Oh, well.

As, far as Ponds' car is concerned, I have no idea about it or concerns about it.

Anything else, doc? :lol: I don't think there's anything left in the DSM you haven't already diagnosed me with.

As I said, I have the screenshot of the car, but I haven't posted it since I don't want to bring too much attention to it. I was really just wondering if anyone else saw it and hope there won't be any investigation. I know this isn't likely but if we had a kid like Ponds for 4 years, it would give us such a huge boost. Maybe Mullin can call Jay Wright and ask him how he gets guys to stay so long. The reason we had sustained regular season success under Lavin was because we had guys like Harrison, Greene, and Pointer for 4 years. If he stays 4, I have no doubt he'd finish top 3 in scoring all time. Very special player. Let's hope LoVett sticks around a bit as well.
SJHooper

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01 pm

SJHooper wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Anything else, doc? :lol: I don't think there's anything left in the DSM you haven't already diagnosed me with.

As I said, I have the screenshot of the car, but I haven't posted it since I don't want to bring too much attention to it. I was really just wondering if anyone else saw it and hope there won't be any investigation. I know this isn't likely but if we had a kid like Ponds for 4 years, it would give us such a huge boost. Maybe Mullin can call Jay Wright and ask him how he gets guys to stay so long. The reason we had sustained regular season success under Lavin was because we had guys like Harrison, Greene, and Pointer for 4 years. If he stays 4, I have no doubt he'd finish top 3 in scoring all time. Very special player. Let's hope LoVett sticks around a bit as well.

Why wouldn't he stay for 4 years? He's a marginal NBA talent at best.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:43 pm

SJHooper wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
mcnaug167 wrote:

You have zero proof he bought the car or that his mom is driving that car. He posted a picture. Yet you are ready to throw the kid out of school. You are the shittiest fan a school has ever had. You go looking for issues. Don't start a witch hunt for an 18 year old kid.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 pm

SJHooper wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

You don't want to bring too much attention to it? Hello dipchit you're the one who brought it up in the first place and the one who keeps bringing it up! You started this whole discussion! No wonder why you get banned everywhere you go, you're clearly trolling the rest of us SJU fans.
NJRedman

Postby RedStorm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

SJHooper wrote:So, I don't know if anyone else saw this...last night Ponds posted a picture of a new BMW i8 with a caption "You welcome momma". My heart immediately sank. He's just an 18 yr old freshman...he doesn't understand that posts like this may trigger an NCAA investigation. I told him he should take it down and he did maybe 3 minutes later so it wasn't up for long. Now it could be a rental, it could be some shady agent who gave it to him, or it could be the program somehow giving it to him but in any case, he needs to stay under the radar. He has 20,000 followers...that's like all of MSG looking at your posts...he needs to be very careful. It reminds me of the scene in Goodfellas where they just succeeded with the Lufthansa heist at JFK with millions in cash and a day later, some of the mob guys bought their wives new cars, mink jackets, etc. Then Jimmy Conway angrily tells them to take it all back, because it brings way too much attention and can lead to an investigation.

I know there's a lot of shady dealings and Ponds is not even close to the first or the last one obviously. By the way, you guys heard it here first, I don't even think Redmen.com knows the scoop since they banned me...oh well their loss is HolyLand's gain I suppose.

Unsubstantiated claim about a phantom picture that we only have your word exists.

And why would an actual St. Johns fan bother to share this online? You claim you got him to take it down, only for you to then make certain everyone hears about its existence. Especially on a board full of Providence fans still bitter about having lost him.

One has to wonder what your real agenda is here. Is it some malevolent intent toward the program/university or just a guy with the IQ of a mule.
RedStorm

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board