(3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/25/2017 - SJU@PC, CU@GU, BU@SHU

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/25/2017 - SJU@PC, CU@GU, BU@

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Irishdawg wrote:
NJRedman wrote:At first in the us against the world attitude but thats going to dissipate as the years go on. Cooley also likes to complain when he loses.

Also how could anyone say that spat is on Mullin? It seems Cooley started the whole thing being a sore loser.

Both coaches are to blame. Cooley certainly shouldn't have said what he did, even if he was mad about losing. However, Mullin's retort, while he may have felt was justified since I'm sure he didn't feel like they stole anything in winning that game is what escalated the situation.

Agree that things will dissipate as time goes on. Part of it might be "us against the world", but I think that part of it could also be that Mullin never had to cut his teeth as an assistant coach and move up through the coaching profession like every other Big East coach had to do. It'll be interesting to at least monitor Cooley and Mullin's interactions going forward, but some coaches just don't like each other for one reason or another. Tom Crean really disliked Brad Stevens while he was at Butler (and probably still does) because IU fans still haven't shut up about him being their next coach, and on top of that, Stevens would say and do things during games that would get under Crean's skin (not that it's a hard feat to accomplish).

I love it, Cooley certainly shouldn't have said it but Mullin is even more to blame for his retort? GTFOH, Cooley escalated the situation by saying "Those MF'ers stole it from us." A game they were down 9 at half. Mullin never had to cut his teeth as an assistant and Cooley never had to run a NBA team. It's funny how folks here think Mullin just walked in off the street and hasn't been involved in basketball since he retired.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Whitefriar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:35 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:
NJRedman wrote:At first in the us against the world attitude but thats going to dissipate as the years go on. Cooley also likes to complain when he loses.

Also how could anyone say that spat is on Mullin? It seems Cooley started the whole thing being a sore loser.

Both coaches are to blame. Cooley certainly shouldn't have said what he did, even if he was mad about losing. However, Mullin's retort, while he may have felt was justified since I'm sure he didn't feel like they stole anything in winning that game is what escalated the situation.

Agree that things will dissipate as time goes on. Part of it might be "us against the world", but I think that part of it could also be that Mullin never had to cut his teeth as an assistant coach and move up through the coaching profession like every other Big East coach had to do. It'll be interesting to at least monitor Cooley and Mullin's interactions going forward, but some coaches just don't like each other for one reason or another. Tom Crean really disliked Brad Stevens while he was at Butler (and probably still does) because IU fans still haven't shut up about him being their next coach, and on top of that, Stevens would say and do things during games that would get under Crean's skin (not that it's a hard feat to accomplish).

I love it, Cooley certainly shouldn't have said it but Mullin is even more to blame for his retort? GTFOH, Cooley escalated the situation by saying "Those MF'ers stole it from us." A game they were down 9 at half. Mullin never had to cut his teeth as an assistant and Cooley never had to run a NBA team. It's funny how folks here think Mullin just walked in off the street and hasn't been involved in basketball since he retired.

I understand you're going to stick up for your guy but how does Cooley not having NBA front office experience relate to Mullin getting a high major HEAD coaching position without ANY coaching experience? Cooley is not a good loser and is probably to blame for the spat here, not doubt, but your retort made no sense.
Whitefriar

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:10 pm

I understand you're going to stick up for your guy but how does Cooley not having NBA front office experience relate to Mullin getting a high major HEAD coaching position without ANY coaching experience? Cooley is not a good loser and is probably to blame for the spat here, not doubt, but your retort made no sense.

Cooley is definitely not a good loser, agree there. But if the story is correct, he was talking to a member of his staff when he was being a sore loser. Very different than one coach saying to the other "F*ck you b*tch" as a response. One is being a sore loser. The other is directly telling someone to f*ck off and calling them a b*tch. Can you see Jay Wright responding that way? :lol:

I don't care, I think it's hilarious and it reminds me of 1980s Big East. But just my opinion on it. I'll be sitting at MSG and I hope to see some more of it!!!
ChelseaFriar

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:47 pm

ChelseaFriar wrote:

Cooley is definitely not a good loser, agree there. But if the story is correct, he was talking to a member of his staff when he was being a sore loser. Very different than one coach saying to the other "F*ck you b*tch" as a response. One is being a sore loser. The other is directly telling someone to f*ck off and calling them a b*tch. Can you see Jay Wright responding that way? :lol:

I don't care, I think it's hilarious and it reminds me of 1980s Big East. But just my opinion on it. I'll be sitting at MSG and I hope to see some more of it!!!

He was talking very loudly within ear shot of the other team. Thats not a private conversation someone else is over hearing. It seems he said it loud enough for Mullin and St. John's could hear. Also he was calling St. John's Mother F***ers, "Those MF'ers stole that one." He is calling Mullin and the team MFers. But, yeah sure. Mullin overreacted. :roll:
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Whitefriar wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:

What does Mullin not being an assistant coach somewhere have to do with anything? That makes no sense and that was my point. The guy has still been around basketball and wasn't coming in off the street.
NJRedman

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:51 pm

ChelseaFriar wrote:I don't care, I think it's hilarious and it reminds me of 1980s Big East. But just my opinion on it. I'll be sitting at MSG and I hope to see some more of it!!!

This is me (your quote)! I don't even care what happened, as I found it to be kinda funny. It does put you in the frame of mind when it comes to 80's Big East basketball. This stuff can add to the rivalry.
Red Rooster

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:03 am

Irishdawg wrote:

"It's a simple game, played by men in short pants." - Red Auerbach

It's funny that you should bring up Stevens in this context. He's given his first head coaching job at the age of 30. He's then named head coach of the most storied franchise in NBA history at 36 after never spending a day in the league and never even having coached a major college program. But. That's okay.

Meanwhile Mullin has spent a lifetime in the sport, has NBA management experience, and has an NBA coaching offer in hand when he took the St John's, but he's the one who was fast tracked without any experience???

This Mullin thing has gotten completely out of control. I have nothing against Stevens. I like the guy, have immense respect for everything he's accomplished, and believe he earned every promotion he got. Collier saw something in him when he named him HC and so did Ainge when he hired him with the Celtics. That's all it takes. But the same thing is true for Mullin. NBA people saw him as an emerging coaching talent. He turned down one NBA coaching offer during the season before he took the St John's offer and would have had another one if he hadn't accepted the offer from the Redmen. Just like Stevens, people saw something in Mullin and that's all it takes.

Comments about Mullin's background treat him like he had spent the last ten years on Wall Street selling stocks or something. He spent his entire life in the sport for goodness sakes. People follow different career paths. Some don't follow the typical road. That means nothing. Plenty of people who check all the right boxes have failed miserably. Others have succeeded when no one thought they would. Mullin should be judged on what he accomplishes once he's had enough time to complete the rebuild at St John's. Meanwhile the snide and disparaging remarks about his background are getting tiresome.

End of rant.
Bill Marsh

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:51 pm

NJRedman wrote:
ChelseaFriar wrote:

He was talking very loudly within ear shot of the other team. Thats not a private conversation someone else is over hearing. It seems he said it loud enough for Mullin and St. John's could hear. Also he was calling St. John's Mother F***ers, "Those MF'ers stole that one." He is calling Mullin and the team MFers. But, yeah sure. Mullin overreacted. :roll:

Chelsea, it's another way we say: "Stop crying like a lil bitch." Sometimes Cooley is one. No Cooley we didn't steal it, we took that f'ing game, bitch.

Exactly NJ, it was meant for our guys to hear, and I'm glad Mullin responded to that bitch. Don't take shit from nobody. I'm sure Cooley loved watching Ponds go off for 22pnt also. images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif
REDMEN1415

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board