(3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/25/2017 - SJU@PC, CU@GU, BU@SHU

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/25/2017 - SJU@PC, CU@GU, BU@

Postby NJRedman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

REDMEN1415 wrote:This from the PC boards:

Sister sent my a text after the game. Apparently she knows someone directly related with the team.
From my understanding, in the tunnel Cooley said to one of our guys "Those MFer's stole that one, huh?" and Mullin heard him and responded "F$ck you b%tch". Cooley apparently said "No, f$ck YOU, b%tch" which then resulted in players from both sides having to hold the coaches back.
Cooley might not be a great or even very good X's and O's guy, but it did make me feel a little better after a brutal loss.

I saw that on twitter from a guy but haven't seen that anywhere else. Kind of sounds out of character for both of them.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 am

FDS wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:The fact that the Big Ten and ACC could get 10-12 teams each bodes well for the Big East in my opinion.

Uhhhh.... what 10-12 teams is the B1G getting in the NCAA tournament???

More like combined. hahaha
NJRedman

Postby FDS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:34 am

NJRedman wrote:
FDS wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:The fact that the Big Ten and ACC could get 10-12 teams each bodes well for the Big East in my opinion.

Uhhhh.... what 10-12 teams is the B1G getting in the NCAA tournament???

More like combined. hahaha

That I can agree with!
FDS

Postby ChelseaFriar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Providence Journal just confirmed a heated verbal dispute between Cooley and Mullin. Article is online.
ChelseaFriar

Postby Irishdawg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:57 am

Could be wrong, but I get the impression that the majority of coaches in the league don't like Chris Mullin. Seems like the majority of coaches in this league get along really well for the most part.
Irishdawg

Postby Storm Fan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:22 am

Cooley seems to act like a dick whenever he loses (at least to St. John's). Mullin, in his short time here, has displayed a bit of a bad attitude on occasion. We'll see if the trend continues.
Storm Fan

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Irishdawg wrote:Could be wrong, but I get the impression that the majority of coaches in the league don't like Chris Mullin. Seems like the majority of coaches in this league get along really well for the most part.

At first in the us against the world attitude but thats going to dissipate as the years go on. Cooley also likes to complain when he loses.

Also how could anyone say that spat is on Mullin? It seems Cooley started the whole thing being a sore loser.
NJRedman

Postby Irishdawg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:31 pm

NJRedman wrote:At first in the us against the world attitude but thats going to dissipate as the years go on. Cooley also likes to complain when he loses.

Also how could anyone say that spat is on Mullin? It seems Cooley started the whole thing being a sore loser.

Both coaches are to blame. Cooley certainly shouldn't have said what he did, even if he was mad about losing. However, Mullin's retort, while he may have felt was justified since I'm sure he didn't feel like they stole anything in winning that game is what escalated the situation.

Agree that things will dissipate as time goes on. Part of it might be "us against the world", but I think that part of it could also be that Mullin never had to cut his teeth as an assistant coach and move up through the coaching profession like every other Big East coach had to do. It'll be interesting to at least monitor Cooley and Mullin's interactions going forward, but some coaches just don't like each other for one reason or another. Tom Crean really disliked Brad Stevens while he was at Butler (and probably still does) because IU fans still haven't shut up about him being their next coach, and on top of that, Stevens would say and do things during games that would get under Crean's skin (not that it's a hard feat to accomplish).
Irishdawg

Postby billyjack » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Nothing wrong with the Mullin-Cooley thing if true... good for the rivalry... couple years ago at URI, Hurley and Cooley got into a yelling match on the court and they had to be restrained... fans got a kick out of it... and the 2 of them have a good relationship now.

Favorite play from the SJU-PC game was key possession, late 2nd half when Owens blocked a PC floater by sticking his hand through the bottom of the hoop, the refs didn't call goaltending til Cooley flipped out, then Owens started complaining about the call.

Second favorite play was on the final possession, Cartwright's shot was blocked, Lovett made a fantastic save but his foot may have hit the baseline, and refs decide it doesn't warrant a review... very close play, and i think he stayed in, but wtf, what harm would it do to check the replay.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Regarding Cooley/Mullin, don't forget the "race card" rumors that were put out there during the Ponds recruitment. Zagoria tweeted about Cooley playing the race card and then later deleted his tweets.

I'm sure that issue has lingered with some bad blood on both ends.
ChelseaFriar

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board