Zach Hanson

The home for Big East hoops

Zach Hanson

Postby sciencejay » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm

An OWH article today (http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 1f79a.html) says that Hanson practiced Monday (limited action) "but could rejoin (the) lineup by the end of the week."

That's great news for Jays fans. It doesn't solve the loss of Mo/floor leadership, but if he's truly ready to play quality minutes, it will help keep a very good post player on the court when JP needs a rest or gets in foul trouble.
sciencejay

Zach Hanson

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Zach Hanson

Postby cu blujs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:10 pm

And free up Toby Hegner to go back to the 4 full time with more opportunities to shoot it from three, where he is currently the second best percentage shooter on the team in conference play.
cu blujs

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Sounds like Hegner is going to be out a couple of weeks after the injury against Marquette on Saturday. Tough times in Omaha.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby sciencejay » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm

If CU finishes in the top two of the BEast this year, McD has to be the COY. Hands down. Hanson would've seen more minutes than Hegner this season us he not gotten hurt. And now Mo is gone for good, and Hegner is now down for a while. We're not the only ones to suffer injuries, but we've been seriously bitten this year.

Yes, there's still talent available, but to have to readjust the lineup and strategy again and again is significant.

If we finish a solid top three maybe. But a top two finish and he's the man. I'm my most humble of opinions.
sciencejay

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 pm

sciencejay wrote:If CU finishes in the top two of the BEast this year, McD has to be the COY. Hands down. Hanson would've seen more minutes than Hegner this season us he not gotten hurt. And now Mo is gone for good, and Hegner is now down for a while. We're not the only ones to suffer injuries, but we've been seriously bitten this year.

Yes, there's still talent available, but to have to readjust the lineup and strategy again and again is significant.

If we finish a solid top three maybe. But a top two finish and he's the man. I'm my most humble of opinions.

I think not. Holtmann hands down.

2016-17 Preseason Big East Coaches’ Poll
First-place votes in parentheses.

1. Villanova (9) 81 pts.
2. Xavier (1) 69
3. Creighton 64
T4. Georgetown 53
T4. Seton Hall 53
6. Butler 44
7. Marquette 35
8. St. John's 21
9. Providence 18
10. DePaul 12
HoosierPal

Postby sciencejay » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Holtmann is reasonable based upon Butler's tremendous performance so far and their pre-season expectations. He has gotten those guys to play together and play great, with important contributions from new faces. No doubt about it. Great job.

While I'm obviously not unbiased, I think McD deserves COY if we finish in the top two of the conference. Granted, that's a big IF at this time. With injuries costing significant time to two major players--one of them being the major influence and playmaker on the team who was in the hunt for all-american and conference player of the year (or at least first team all BEast)--and now an injury to another key player (Hegner), if we continue our success on the court, then McD is the guy. I have argued that the loss of Hanson (for over two months) was a bigger deal than was given due. JP has played great, but when he makes freshman mistakes like getting into foul trouble (Nova, X and Marquette--two of the three ended up losses), a guy like Hanson fills in with little drop off. Yet we are still 18-2 with the many great teams we've played and with those significant personnel losses.

No coach in the country has lost a guy this season who meant more to CU than Mo Watson. That is adversity with a capital A. You rally the troops and keep in the upper echelon of the BEast and the nation, you get COY.

Now I get that this is all academic. There's still a lot of basketball to be played. We'll see who earns it this year. Heck, if Nova continues its run, having gone all season without Phil Booth and living on about 7 players, JW will get mention as well. Even Mullin may get some love (KIDDING, Hooper! Stop typing that novela of arguments against that comment!)
sciencejay

Return to Big East basketball message board