(1) Tuesday BE Game - 01/24/2017 - VU at MU...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Tuesday BE Game - 01/24/2017 - VU at MU...

Postby cu blujs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:51 am

I thought Nova players said they learned their lesson after Butler about standing around and shooting from outside in the last 5 minutes. Apparently not. Thing is, the 1-3-1 could have been easily attacked around the free throw line or by posting up down low. MU's defender in the middle often came out away from the free throw line area. When the got the ball to the corner, those guys could have driven to the lane area and dished when the zone collapsed down for some inside out passing - which usually leads to higher percentage shots. Although they were something like 5-25 from three going into the last 6 or 7 minutes, they apparently still seemed to think the next shot was going to go down. Instead they were 1-10 in that time. Not a very composed finish. But, every team is going to have a game or two like that.

And I will tell you what. When Reinhardt gets revved up, you better have a guy in his shorts at half court, hedge on every screen set for him - even if that means leaving yourself vulnerable to a pick and roll or pick and pop. Collapse the rest of the defense and make someone else hit a shot. On the other hand I hear a lot of people saying Howard is the best freshman in the league, but it seems that MU's two best performances of the year have come with him sitting a fair amount on the bench in foul trouble. But, I haven't watched a whole lot of MU, so there's a pretty small sample size there.
cu blujs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 am

It's always good to suffer a loss or two in January. I doubt that Jay is upset about it. If he didn't have their attention before, I'm sure he has it now.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:26 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Hey, fellas. I copied my below post from the MU board, but I wanted to share with all of you. It is an honor to post here, and tonight was more special to me than any other MU game in my life. Best of luck to Villanova the rest of the way - they are absolutely a class act.

From MU Board:
Tonight was truly a special game for me and my family. My mom passed away on Sunday night - gone way too soon. While she hated sports (even though I work in sports), she always loved Marquette for the experiences I had there and for the close friends I made while there. I'll never forget the 30 extra minutes I had as a freshmen unable to leave the car outside Abbottsford because my mom didn't want to let me go haha. Whenever Marquette was on, whether as a student or a graduate, she watched because of me.

Tonight being the very first game since her passing was especially tough. However, I couldn't help but think that she provided some divine intervention in the game tonight. There were certain plays that just seemed to bounce our way, unexplained and unexpectedly, and I truly believe my Mom was the biggest fan in the stands in heaven for all of us tonight.

Basketball is so much bigger than just basketball, but it allows us all to heal in our own particular ways. Tonight was incredibly special (I got to watch it with my Dad too), and I felt like I needed to share this with all of you because we are all so passionate about Marquette and the basketball program. Tonight was emotional on so many levels, but I will always treasure tonight's game as it being the first moment of my mom in heaven telling me that she is looking out for me and my family.

P.S. sorry for the emotional post. Be sure to tell your parents you love them as often as you can. You never know when the last time may be.

Go Marquette!

Sorry for your loss, i'm glad the Golden Eagles were able to help you take your mind off of you grief for a short period of time.
NJRedman

Postby notkirkcameron » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 pm

nynovascott wrote:Terrible loss for Villanova up 17. Left Hart on the bench too long and bombing threes.
Embarrassing!

Villanova's win probability was 95% or better for nearly nine minutes in the second half.

GRAPH
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2_e86eWgAAl4QY.jpg:large
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby Xudash » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:02 pm

notkirkcameron wrote:
nynovascott wrote:Terrible loss for Villanova up 17. Left Hart on the bench too long and bombing threes.
Embarrassing!

Villanova's win probability was 95% or better for nearly nine minutes in the second half.

GRAPH
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2_e86eWgAAl4QY.jpg:large

Al was priceless. One of the best people to ever advance the interests of college hoops.

Referring to your signature line.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MackNova » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:19 pm

I felt for most of the game, Villanova could have gotten any shot it wanted. If we got it inside, it was an easy 2 points most of the time, and if we got a 3, it was usually wide open. They just missed them a lot. For most of the game, I thought that Villanova should have been up by 20+ easily if they were shooting remotely decently.

Then down the stretch, they stopped running the offense, and just settled for the first 3 they could find. Meanwhile, Reinhardt couldn't miss.

Oh well. Bad loss for Villanova. Great win for Marquette. It's a good result for the league, though I would have preferred that it not come at VIllanova's expense.
MackNova

Postby marquette » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say Jay Wright was pure class before, during, and after the game. Also, the Nova fans I met at the game were great, hopefully they all had a good experience despite the loss.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board