Bracketology - January 23

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology - January 23

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:Bill... You really think Creighton is gonna drop that many games... Easy there...

Hold on, Pollyanna. I said "could", not ARE. I said "If", not WILL. I have no idea if they're going to drop that many games, but anyone who's seen the results the past 2 games knows that an extended losing streak is a distinct possibility. Winning is a possibility too, but before they lost Watson, losing a bunch of games was not even a consideration.

If they win four more games they should be in with no problem (i.e Depaul 2x, St. Johns, and GT at home). That's the worst case scenario.

Of course, but it's "IF . . ." There's nothing automatic about wins in these 4 games. After seeing what they did tonight in Omaha, what will Georgetown do when they get them back in DC? St John's is an improving team that has won 2 of it's last 3. They've beaten Butler, and they've beaten both Syracuse and Providence on the road.

They have plenty of time to figure it out and adjust to life without Watson. They'll be fine. Probably another early NCAA exit

What are they going to figure out? It's not like they just need a new game plan. They won't be fine. They'll be different. And we don't know how successful this different version will be. They just lost their most important player. It's not like they have loads of McD's sitting on the bench just waiting to step in when a player goes down. Their success has been built on chemistry. Their chemistry just took a big hit.

I'm just saying that it's a who,e new ball game for them. A tournament birth seemed like a lock even if they sustained a losing streak. The only question was how high they would be seeded. However, when a losing streak is due to the loss of a key player for the season, it takes on different ramifications.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Won't argue any of that bill, but we still have home games against Depaul, St. John's, Providence, and Georgetown. For the moment, those are the four bottom teams in the league. If we win those we are 9–9 in the even if we lose every other game. Obviously, that isn't where we want to be or where anyone would've expected a couple of weeks ago, but I am hopeful we can correct some of our issues and finish strong.

Yes, that's what you have to do. Those games will be the measure of just how bad things are. Providence is still a good team, St John's is improving, and Georgetown has the talent to turn their season around. Those will not be easy games.

Agree. I am optimistic that we will get the requisite victories. Might lose a couple we expect to win, but might win a couple we expect to lose. Really unfortunate to have an injury of this magnitude affect not only our season but the Big East's NCAA prospects.

Good luck. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 am

just saw he updated it today...

Nova 1 E vs PIG winner, Iowa St/Ark in Buffalo
SH 11 E vs St Mary's, UCLA in Sacramento
Creighton 6 W vs VCU,Louisville in Indy
Butler 3 S vs Belmont, Maryland in Milwaukee
Marquette 8 MW vs Va Tech, Kansas in Tulsa
Xavier 6 MW vs UNC Wilmington, Oregon in Sacramento

SH last team with a bye

would be a terrible draw for Creighton and Butler. And a pretty much road situation for Seton Hall with UCLA.
stever20

Postby Edrick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Putting aside for a moment that Butler has literally never lost to a lower seed, that bracket is spectacularly good for them. Not only is it located in a place that is home to former (Milwaukee) and current conference mates (cheering interests), neither Belmont nor Maryland are any good. Presently Belmont is rated 93 and Maryland 45th. If you are playing for a Sweet 16 vs a team that's rated lower than 44% of your schedule (13/29), you've won the probability game.
Edrick

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Here's an article from Matt Norlander at CBS Sports saying essentially the same thing that I did. This is not a feel-good story.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... asketball/
Bill Marsh

Postby Barley » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Here's an article from Matt Norlander at CBS Sports saying essentially the same thing that I did. This is not a feel-good story.

I'm curious when you became such a Creighton hater? It's apparent through multiple threads.
Barley

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Barley wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Here's an article from Matt Norlander at CBS Sports saying essentially the same thing that I did. This is not a feel-good story.

I'm curious when you became such a Creighton hater? It's apparent through multiple threads.

Hate??? :o

I realize you're suffering through a bad time right now, but you don't have to take objective analysis personally. I'm not happy about the way things are. If anything, my sentiment is "depressed and preparing for the worst." I'm rooting for your guys to overcome the obstacles in front of them. I'll be happy if they do.
Bill Marsh

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry Bill, have to sort of agree with him, you are coming across that way. Guess I'm going through a bad time now too? Maybe it's just you having a hard time dealing with PC's problems this year?
Westbrook#36

Postby FDS » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:Sorry Bill, have to sort of agree with him, you are coming across that way. Guess I'm going through a bad time now too? Maybe it's just you having a hard time dealing with PC's problems this year?

I agree with Bill here, he is just giving his opinion. It seems to me that Creighton fans resort to name calling on this board whenever they disagree with another's opinion on Creighton... I know that was their response when I stated that I thought McDermott was responsible for Mo's injury. I don't think Creighton is a very good team without Watson, and I don't think McDermott is a particularly good coach when he doesn't have a talent advantage to back it up. Does that make me a hater?

"They say I talk with so much emphasis. Ooh, they so sensitive."
FDS

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:17 pm

FDS wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:Sorry Bill, have to sort of agree with him, you are coming across that way. Guess I'm going through a bad time now too? Maybe it's just you having a hard time dealing with PC's problems this year?

I agree with Bill here, he is just giving his opinion. It seems to me that Creighton fans resort to name calling on this board whenever they disagree with another's opinion on Creighton... I know that was their response when I stated that I thought McDermott was responsible for Mo's injury. I don't think Creighton is a very good team without Watson, and I don't think McDermott is a particularly good coach when he doesn't have a talent advantage to back it up. Does that make me a hater?

"They say I talk with so much emphasis. Ooh, they so sensitive."

I disagree with him here, didn't call Bill a hater. Said he's sort of coming across that way, and it's true. Between this and a couple other threads he's kicking them when they're down(but don't do that to PC thou). As for you, based on your posting history, you seem to dislike anything that's not Butler, which is fine. Was McDermott smart for letting Watson reenter that game? No, not his best decision, but to say he's responsible is probably a step too far, JMO.
Westbrook#36

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board