Bracketology - January 23

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bracketology - January 23

Postby Edrick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Edrick

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Seton Hall has a tougher road ahead than Marquette, but both are going to struggle to go better than 5-6 down the stretch. I'm hoping one or both are able to knock off a Butler or Nova to bolster their resumes and give them a bit of breathing room.
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 am

Matt Norlander of CBS is on Omaha radio as I type this and he agrees that Marquette is "definitely in" the NCAA tournament right now.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Creighton could be in serious trouble. The committee can take injuries into account. If the Jays go on an extended losing streak, dropping 9 or 10 of their final 12 games and then lose again in the BET, they could still have a respectable RPI, but the committee could decide that they are not the same team without Watson and pass on them. Fate has dealt them a tough blow and they are now facing a big challenge.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Won't argue any of that bill, but we still have home games against Depaul, St. John's, Providence, and Georgetown. For the moment, those are the four bottom teams in the league. If we win those we are 9–9 in the even if we lose every other game. Obviously, that isn't where we want to be or where anyone would've expected a couple of weeks ago, but I am hopeful we can correct some of our issues and finish strong.
Omaha1

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Bill... You really think Creighton is gonna drop that many games... Easy there...

If they win four more games they should be in with no problem (i.e Depaul 2x, St. Johns, and GT at home). That's the worst case scenario.

They have plenty of time to figure it out and adjust to life without Watson. They'll be fine. Probably another early NCAA exit
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Won't argue any of that bill, but we still have home games against Depaul, St. John's, Providence, and Georgetown. For the moment, those are the four bottom teams in the league. If we win those we are 9–9 in the even if we lose every other game. Obviously, that isn't where we want to be or where anyone would've expected a couple of weeks ago, but I am hopeful we can correct some of our issues and finish strong.

Yes, that's what you have to do. Those games will be the measure of just how bad things are. Providence is still a good team, St John's is improving, and Georgetown has the talent to turn their season around. Those will not be easy games.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Creighton has the look of a 8 or 9 seed in the tourney.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Won't argue any of that bill, but we still have home games against Depaul, St. John's, Providence, and Georgetown. For the moment, those are the four bottom teams in the league. If we win those we are 9–9 in the even if we lose every other game. Obviously, that isn't where we want to be or where anyone would've expected a couple of weeks ago, but I am hopeful we can correct some of our issues and finish strong.

Yes, that's what you have to do. Those games will be the measure of just how bad things are. Providence is still a good team, St John's is improving, and Georgetown has the talent to turn their season around. Those will not be easy games.

Agree. I am optimistic that we will get the requisite victories. Might lose a couple we expect to win, but might win a couple we expect to lose. Really unfortunate to have an injury of this magnitude affect not only our season but the Big East's NCAA prospects.
Omaha1

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board