(2) Sunday Big East Games 1/22/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Sunday Big East Games 1/22/17

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
That was some crazy scheduling, booking a West Coast team home-and-home in February both years. Was that Lavin's connections at work?

Was actually put in place before he was hired. Tht was his first season as head coach. We used to have a H&H series with Duke for like 16 years that was played in the middle of the conference schedule. Actually that year where we lost to UCLA on the road we blew out Duke in the Garden 93-78 where we led by 20 most of the game.

I vividly remember the Duke loss in OT in 1999. What a great game! What a disappointing finish. Until that game, I had never thought of Artest as a 3-point shooter. But he sure made a big one that day. That was a great team with Bootsy Thornton, Lavor Postell, and Erick Barkley. Funny thing is that my 2 clearest memories of that St John's season were both losses - that game and the Ohio State game. That St John's team should have gone to the Final 4.

I was a freshman that following season and we were still really good. We lost to Ohio State in January and then beat Duke in late February and we still are the only non conference team to do it in over 30 years.
NJRedman

Re: (2) Sunday Big East Games 1/22/17

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board