PC sporting throwback Jersey's from the beginning of the BE

The home for Big East hoops

Postby FriarJ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:40 pm

For the SJU game next wednesday. They look good IMO.

https://twitter.com/PCFriarsmbb/status/ ... 5040748546

Can somebody help me post this properly?
FriarJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PC sporting throwback Jersey's from the beginning of the

Postby billyjack » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:05 pm

The jerseys look really cool, though they're early 80's style which was an era we struggled in... the days of the great Otis Thorpe and Ricky Tucker and Billy Fields.

For those interested... the Friar program was built by Joe Mullaney, an upperclassman on the Holy Cross national champions in 1947, which also had a young Bob Cousy. Mullaney's run at PC started in the mid 50's, and continued through til the end of the 60's. Ton of success as you guys know.

For 1969, Mullaney was hired to coach the NBA Lakers, which hadn't won a title in Los Angeles at that point. In his one year in LA, he took them to Game 7 of the NBA Finals, but lost in part on a late freak shot by Celtic Don Nelson (of course, later coach of the Bob Lanier Bucks), a 15 foot jump shot that hit the iron, went straight high up in the air above the backboard maybe, and dropped thru the hoop. Also, he controversially had Wilt Chamberlain on the bench over the last few minutes, with the reasoning being, i think, that Wilt couldn't hit free throws.

Anyway, in the mid 60's, 1959 Dartmouth grad and Dartmouth head coach Dave Gavitt became one of Mullaney's assistants at PC. When Mullaney went to LA, Gavitt was promoted to head coach.

Gavitt coached thru 1979, and was replaced by Gary Walters, a supposed "whiz kid" who was the Dartmouth coach at the time... so PC dipped into the Dartmouth well a second time. Walters' teams were pretty weak in 1980 and 1981, and PC parted ways with him. Not sure but i think at some point Walters was at Princeton, maybe as their AD... he may recently have been in the NCAA hoops bureaucracy, again not sure, but I've read articles here and there with quotes from "longtime whatever" Gary Walters.

Ok where was i...?

So Mullaney, after 1 year with the Lakers in 1969, spent time coaching in the ABA. Then late 70's i guess he wanted to come home, so he took the job at Brown and waited for the Friar job to open. My brother was at Brown then, so i'd go to watch a lot of their games at now-demolished Marvel Gym fieldhouse, and we could easily find seats in the wooden bleachers right behind the teams' benches... pretty cool listening to the coaches and all.

Anyway, when Walters left, PC hailed the return of the "Silver Fox". Mullaney stayed for 4 years (referred to as the "Mullaney 2" era), usually capped off with the 8/9 Wednesday night play-in game in the BET vs Seton Hall.

Anyway, these throwbacks uniforms, which look freakin awesome, are from the early 80's.

Having said all that, I'd like Bill Marsh and other Friar fansto double check my information here... I'm kinda going from memory.
Providence
billyjack

Re: PC sporting throwback Jersey's from the beginning of the

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

billyjack wrote:The jerseys look really cool, though they're early 80's style which was an era we struggled in... the days of the great Otis Thorpe and Ricky Tucker and Billy Fields.

For those interested... the Friar program was built by Joe Mullaney, an upperclassman on the Holy Cross national champions in 1947, which also had a young Bob Cousy. Mullaney's run at PC started in the mid 50's, and continued through til the end of the 60's. Ton of success as you guys know.

For 1969, Mullaney was hired to coach the NBA Lakers, which hadn't won a title in Los Angeles at that point. In his one year in LA, he took them to Game 7 of the NBA Finals, but lost in part on a late freak shot by Celtic Don Nelson (of course, later coach of the Bob Lanier Bucks), a 15 foot jump shot that hit the iron, went straight high up in the air above the backboard maybe, and dropped thru the hoop. Also, he controversially had Wilt Chamberlain on the bench over the last few minutes, with the reasoning being, i think, that Wilt couldn't hit free throws.

Anyway, in the mid 60's, 1959 Dartmouth grad and Dartmouth head coach Dave Gavitt became one of Mullaney's assistants at PC. When Mullaney went to LA, Gavitt was promoted to head coach.

Gavitt coached thru 1979, and was replaced by Gary Walters, a supposed "whiz kid" who was the Dartmouth coach at the time... so PC dipped into the Dartmouth well a second time. Walters' teams were pretty weak in 1980 and 1981, and PC parted ways with him. Not sure but i think at some point Walters was at Princeton, maybe as their AD... he may recently have been in the NCAA hoops bureaucracy, again not sure, but I've read articles here and there with quotes from "longtime whatever" Gary Walters.

Ok where was i...?

So Mullaney, after 1 year with the Lakers in 1969, spent time coaching in the ABA. Then late 70's i guess he wanted to come home, so he took the job at Brown and waited for the Friar job to open. My brother was at Brown then, so i'd go to watch a lot of their games at now-demolished Marvel Gym fieldhouse, and we could easily find seats in the wooden bleachers right behind the teams' benches... pretty cool listening to the coaches and all.

Anyway, when Walters left, PC hailed the return of the "Silver Fox". Mullaney stayed for 4 years (referred to as the "Mullaney 2" era), usually capped off with the 8/9 Wednesday night play-in game in the BET vs Seton Hall.

Anyway, these throwbacks uniforms, which look freakin awesome, are from the early 80's.

Having said all that, I'd like Bill Marsh and other Friar fansto double check my information here... I'm kinda going from memory.

Hopefully you guys struggle while wearing them next week. :D
NJRedman

Return to Big East basketball message board