Mo Watson - ACL out for season

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Mo Watson - ACL out for season

Postby BEhomer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:34 am

They still have plenty of talent left. I always felt each of them could do more. Foster, Patton, Huff, Thomas.

I'm curious to see how they handle the press now. and they'll have to feed the post and play big instead of fast and loose. they have some time between now and March to make the adjustment.
BEhomer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cu blujs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:47 am

I think a potential issue is one or more of the guys thinking he has to do more and forcing things that aren't there. There is still a lot of talent, but it will almost surely take some adjustment period. If Marquette gets off to a good start, I fear some of the guys might start pressing a bit. On the bright side, they put up 40 second half against a legit top 25 team in X, so hopefully that gives them some confidence that it can be done. And I am sure Mo will be very vocal trying to settle them down. If Mintz and IZ can handle the ball, and the other fellas stick to what they do, we should be o.k. But, the Marquette game did go from a ho hum Saturday afternoon event to a real unknown.
cu blujs

Postby kmacker69 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 am

by sciencejay
"If you must point a finger, blame McD, but if McD is to blame, isn't that an indictment on NCAA bball in general? And if NCAA bball is to blame, then isn't that an indictment on the entire collegiate athletics system and the entire country as well? Well, I'm not going to stand here and listen to you bad mouth America. Let's get out of here!"

:lol: :lol: I got the reference and I have to say well done! :lol: :lol:

I've had a few knee problems myself, but after being carried off of a damn flag football game field with a mild MCL tear, checked back in a few plays later. (Yeah it was dumb, but I was young and a bullet proof Marine at the time.) Really hard to keep competitors out of the game unless there is conclusive medical evidence to keep them off... Also had a Dr try and keep me from finishing a NCAA Decathlon in college. (Div III Nationals, but hell if it didn't feel like the Olympics to me.) Still have back pains 25 years later from that decision, but seeing that trophy saying All American sitting on my mantle helps with the pain some. ;)

Do do I blame McD for not holding him out? Not at all, but it sucks all around for him and Watson whether he held him out or not. If there was any ligament left or not, for it to have gone with that mind landing, there most like wasn't enough left to not need to replace the whole thing anyway.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Next man up...

Reminds me a bit of when Curtis Sumpter went down with multiple knee injuries on the Foye--Ray--Lowry team. Any Nova fan will tell you that prior to the injury, Curtis Sumpter was probably the best all around player on that team. That team was a lot like this CU team--very dynamic offensively when he was playing. It forced Jay W to change how the team played and was the birth of the Nova 4 guard offense. Result? Lost on a phantom travel call in which we could have taken the lead the final minute against a UNC team that went in to win it all and then a L the next year in the E8 to the FL team that went on to win 2 straight. So two realistic shots at a FF even without a key cog.

Moral: huge loss no doubt but use it to motivate not deflate. Hopefully Mac can change the dynamic of the team in some way. There is still a ton of talent remaining so they just have to make some subtle adjustments and not try to replace him. Fight with what you got. Maybe that can galvanize the troops to keep battling with the same goals and not use it as an excuse to fail. I'd like to see the Jays become much more focused on defensive intensity. They can score. Maybe a bigger, longer lineup can be an advantage defensively.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby sciencejay » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Kmacker: I'm glad someone caught the Animal House reference--it was a stretch!

Saturday's game is nearly sold out. Marquette is always a big draw; it's a weekend game, and we've had solid crowds since the season has gone so well. But I think a big part of this game is all the questions: Who the hell will start in Mo's place? If it's Zierden, will we slow it down and slog through games like McD's Northern Iowa teams? How many mistakes can we afford (or will McD allow) for Mintz to make? Does Harrell actually get decent playing time? Do Thomas/Foster manage the point by committee?

If Foster handles the ball more, I see that as really affecting our 'team' concept. Of all our players, he's the most likely to be described as a black hole in that once the ball goes to him, he's most likely to shoot. Not a big assist guy.
sciencejay

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:50 pm

FDS wrote: McDermott

Not a smart coach in my opinion.

Smart enough to sweep your dogs!
TrueBlueJay

Postby Doge McDermott » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:35 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:

Ahh, the slow, simmering burn. Nice.
Doge McDermott

Postby FDS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:

You could also say he's never been smart enough to make the Sweet 16 with the Blue Jays (not even with the National Player of the Year)?

Is that going to happen this year? If sweeping Butler was the high point of the season, would you consider it a good season?
FDS

Postby sciencejay » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:24 pm

FDS wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:

You could also say he's never been smart enough to make the Sweet 16 with the Blue Jays (not even with the National Player of the Year)?

Is that going to happen this year? If sweeping Butler was the high point of the season, would you consider it a good season?

It's already a good season. We beat Truman State :lol: :lol: :lol:
sciencejay

Postby cu blujs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm

FDS wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:

Weak sauce. Sometimes just take your lump and walk away ;)
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board