Mo Watson - ACL out for season

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Mo Watson - ACL out for season

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:55 pm

FDS wrote:This is on McDermott for putting Watson back in the game after he injured the knee the first time.

This is also on McDermott for telling the media that Watson's ligaments were okay before there was even an MRI done...

Not a smart coach in my opinion.

I would be about 99.9% sure that the ACL was torn first time.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby scoscox » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:07 pm

FDS wrote:This is on McDermott for putting Watson back in the game after he injured the knee the first time.

This is also on McDermott for telling the media that Watson's ligaments were okay before there was even an MRI done...

Not a smart coach in my opinion.

Agreed. His flippancy in the post game was just dumbfounding. I wasn't sure if he genuinely thought that or just didn't want to face up to the fact that he may have just ended this kid's career. Neither would be good
scoscox

Postby FDS » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:09 pm

stever20 wrote:I would be about 99.9% sure that the ACL was torn first time.

Did you get your MD at the same school as McDermott?
FDS

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Spare me the CU elegy. Wop going down hurts us badly as fans, and likely expunges any hopes of a title run, but we aren't dead. We just beat X on the road without him. Plus, we've already covered the other 4 perceived (SHU is debateable) top half teams over the fist six games due to a front loaded schedule.

Why don't we see how things go before we pull a Stever and rush to the board, throwing shade right and left? We have seven victories against the current RPI top fifty, and one each vs. numbers 51 and 52.
handdownmandown

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

FDS wrote:
stever20 wrote:I would be about 99.9% sure that the ACL was torn first time.

Did you get your MD at the same school as McDermott?

unfortunately I coach basketball and seen way too many ACL injuries.
stever20

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

FDS wrote:This is also on McDermott for telling the media that Watson's ligaments were okay before there was even an MRI done...

I guess I don't get this at all. He was told by the X doctor there was probably no major ligament damage. He was repeating what he had been told. And wtf difference does it make anyway? If he would have been all doom and gloom after the game it wouldn't change a thing now, would it?

Really just a weird statement.
TrueBlueJay

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm

handdownmandown wrote:Spare me the CU elegy. Wop going down hurts us badly as fans, and likely expunges any hopes of a title run, but we aren't dead. We just beat X on the road without him. Plus, we've already covered the other 4 perceived (SHU is debateable) top half teams over the fist six games due to a front loaded schedule.

Why don't we see how things go before we pull a Stever and rush to the board, throwing shade right and left? We have seven victories against the current RPI top fifty, and one each vs. numbers 51 and 52.

And those 9 wins vs top 52 are while not meaningless will pale in comparison to what Creighton does from here on out. The committee will look at Creighton based primarily on the team they are going to have in the tourney, not what they had with Watson. And that's why yesterday's game now is so critical, because that does show a win w/o him.
stever20

Postby Connor_gill25 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Dagger for Watson and the entire Creighton program. McDermott can't be blamed for the injury though (though he can be blamed for playing Mintz sparingly in the early part of the season). I recall tearing my ACL my Sophomore year of high school, dove for a ball in the outfield and heard a pop. Got up and thought it was just a hamstring or something of that nature. Went on to pitch 3 innings in that game, and all was going well until I pivoted on a swing and my leg completely gave way. I'm guessing that's what happened to Watson, slight tear to start that got blown to pieces when he came down the second time while driving to the hoop. The thing about ACLs is any tear will require surgery in order to repair. It's not something that is partial or can fix itself, like a meniscus or an MCL. Watching his first injury in slow motion, you can see his knee bent inwards and in all likelihood, he tore it then and there. Sucks, great kid that hopefully will recover and do great things wherever he goes. Absolute killer for us Jays fans.
Last edited by Connor_gill25 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Connor_gill25

Postby JohnW22 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Why are people questioning McDermott? It was an on the fly decision and nobody here knows what he was told at the time on Watsons injury. How much we put blame on people when we have no insight on the situation.
XU
JohnW22

Postby cu blujs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Blaming McDermott is just plain idiotic. A lot of guys bump knees and limp around for a while and keep playing without then blowing out their ACL. I am pretty sure McDermott would have listened to his trainers and would not have put him in the game if they weren't sure it was just a bruise from banging knees and there was no issue with the knee structure. People blow out ACLs without ever having had one lick of issue with a knee or leg injury in the past. Unfortunately, he landed awkwardly on the knee and it gave out. There is no way in hell McDermott or anyone else could have anticipated that would happen. I am sure Mac felt reassured by the apparent optimism of the trainers' assessment (including the X trainers who examined him) or he wouldn't have said anything.

I can tell you from experience with my daughter, who tore her ACL - non-contact while planting her foot to make a cut. Trainers and orthopedist examined it and felt that the ligaments were most likely intact. When the ACL blows, the muscles around the leg all tighten up to protect the joint. If the person has a strong leg, the strength of the leg muscles gives the appearance of stability in the knee. We got the MRI results expecting maybe a sprain, so the news of the torn ACL was unexpected in light of earlier prognosis and of course devastating to a kid who just lost the rest of her senior year of soccer.
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board