I'm A Big Big Fan Of The Big East MLK Marathon...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:12 am

Having just completed our first Big East Marathon on the MLK Holiday, i just want to say that in my opinion this is a perfect set-up for our games... I'm pretty sure i like it better than even the New Years Eve format.

NYE was great too, but had holiday distractions. Plus the sports world is still babbling on about bowl games and the NFL wildcard scenarios. By MLK Day, we know it'll be on a Monday so our schedules are normal, the NFL conference finals are set on the day before, and it's a typically slow sports day... the Australian Open starts, and typical NHL and NBA games but those are no biggie.

But i love this marathon. Every team is playing, looking forward to the full slate, freakin college hoops fan's dream.

Look for other conferences to copy us once again.

That is all.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I'm A Big Big Fan Of The Big East MLK Marathon...

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 am

Well said that was an awesome day
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:11 am

If you're not one of the 37% of American workers that gets MLK day off, then yesterday was tough to really get into (especially if you were a fan of Butler/Marquette or Xavier/Creighton and had to miss your team's entire game), although I will say I did watch the last part of the DePaul/St. John's game and pretty much all of the Nova/Hall and Georgetown/Providence games.

Having said that, it's a much better idea than the NYE marathon, and I'm glad the league is thinking outside the box as to when to do a marathon. I would like to see them change up the league scheduling though, having a game on Saturday followed by a game on Monday is tough when both of the games are on the road (DePaul, Seton Hall).
Irishdawg

Postby EMT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:13 am

Georgetown attendance was a huge disappointment through. Is there a story behind it? 9:00 start? Inauguration Week?
EMT

Postby Edrick » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 am

Georgetown participated
Edrick

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 am

According to the announcers last night, the Wizards had a home game yesterday afternoon, so the Hoyas were given the 9pm start. They had to switch out the floor.

Also, during the Val Ackerman interview with the announcers, she said the BE wanted to schedule Georgetown at home due to MLK and the March on Washington.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 am

Irishdawg wrote:If you're not one of the 37% of American workers that gets MLK day off, then yesterday was tough to really get into (especially if you were a fan of Butler/Marquette or Xavier/Creighton and had to miss your team's entire game), although I will say I did watch the last part of the DePaul/St. John's game and pretty much all of the Nova/Hall and Georgetown/Providence games.

Having said that, it's a much better idea than the NYE marathon, and I'm glad the league is thinking outside the box as to when to do a marathon. I would like to see them change up the league scheduling though, having a game on Saturday followed by a game on Monday is tough when both of the games are on the road (DePaul, Seton Hall).

wow that's an interesting number as far as how many aren't off on MLK.

The league has to have those Saturday games just from a logistical standpoint.

I was amazed there was no advertisement of the marathon in the NFC playoff game on Sunday. None.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am

EMT wrote:Georgetown attendance was a huge disappointment through. Is there a story behind it? 9:00 start? Inauguration Week?

It's a huge disappointment pretty much all the time. Program is in the dumpster so it's not a surprise....
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

I'm a west coaster so I only got to see the last 10 minutes of the Georgetown/PC game. I don't get off for MLK day.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

EMT wrote:Georgetown attendance was a huge disappointment through. Is there a story behind it? 9:00 start? Inauguration Week?

Thats just Georgetown.
NJRedman

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board