I'm A Big Big Fan Of The Big East MLK Marathon...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: I'm A Big Big Fan Of The Big East MLK Marathon...

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am

Jet915 wrote:
EMT wrote:Georgetown attendance was a huge disappointment through. Is there a story behind it? 9:00 start? Inauguration Week?

It's a huge disappointment pretty much all the time. Program is in the dumpster so it's not a surprise....

The program is hardly in the dumpster. The computer services all have them ranked in the 50's and 60's. They continue to recruit top players. I agree that they're are some things about the program that are headed in the wrong direction, but we're hardly talking dumpster fire here where DePaul is the standard for really bad programs.

There's time to turn this around. We'll see what JT III does about that and what Georgetown does about him if he doesn't. If they replace him, it better with someone who's a home run, or you could really see the bottom drop out if recruiting dries up.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
EMT wrote:Georgetown attendance was a huge disappointment through. Is there a story behind it? 9:00 start? Inauguration Week?

It's a huge disappointment pretty much all the time. Program is in the dumpster so it's not a surprise....

The program is hardly in the dumpster. The computer services all have them ranked in the 50's and 60's. They continue to recruit top players. I agree that they're are some things about the program that are headed in the wrong direction, but we're hardly talking dumpster fire here where DePaul is the standard for really bad programs.

There's time to turn this around. We'll see what JT III does about that and what Georgetown does about him if he doesn't. If they replace him, it better with someone who's a home run, or you could really see the bottom drop out if recruiting dries up.

Georgetown has now lost FIFTEEN consecutive Big East games to teams not named Blue Demons or Red Storm. This is Georgetown. They SHOULD be near the top of the conference year in and year out....
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Georgetown is now 65-55 in their last 120 games. With being 28-32 in conference play in that period. Might not be a dumpster fire, but it's mediocre.

You know what Georgetown was in Craig Esherick's last 120 games? 71-49 and 31-35 in conference play. And games 121-133 they were 9-4.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm off on MLK because I work at Marquette. Plus, it was like the first time ever the Bucks played a home game on MLK. I was disappointed that the Packers/Cowboys game didn't do a plug for the Big East Marathon.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
Jet915 wrote:It's a huge disappointment pretty much all the time. Program is in the dumpster so it's not a surprise....

Georgetown has now lost FIFTEEN consecutive Big East games to teams not named Blue Demons or Red Storm. This is Georgetown. They SHOULD be near the top of the conference year in and year out....

No argument on that point. No doubt that things are not going in the right direction for them.

OTOH, small selected samples can be misleading. In that same stretch, they've beaten team named . . .

Connecticut
Oregon
LaSalle
Syracuse

And in the 2 conference games right before that stretch began, they were coming off wins over teams named . . .

Creighton
Xavier

Those are some pretty good teams. And as Butler and Syracuse learned, there's nothing automatic about a win over this year's St John's team.
Bill Marsh

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Georgetown has now lost FIFTEEN consecutive Big East games to teams not named Blue Demons or Red Storm. This is Georgetown. They SHOULD be near the top of the conference year in and year out....

No argument on that point. No doubt that things are not going in the right direction for them.

OTOH, small selected samples can be misleading. In that same stretch, they've beaten team named . . .

Connecticut - also not trending in the right direction to be generous
Oregon - without Dillion Brooks
LaSalle - really? Seriously? LaSalle??
Syracuse - also not trending in the right direction to be generous

Yeah, probably not helping your argument too much with these examples Bill.
Westbrook#36

Postby Xavier4036 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:08 am

I was pleasantly surprised by the standing-room only crowd at Cintas for 2pm Monday game. I thought there'd be some empty seats in the upper bowl - but it was filled and the atmosphere/energy was great.

I hope next year they put some thought into the Saturday games. That is a tough turnaround, especially if you are on the road for both games or your opponent is playing a D2 school etc.
Xavier4036

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 am

Xavier4036 wrote:I was pleasantly surprised by the standing-room only crowd at Cintas for 2pm Monday game. I thought there'd be some empty seats in the upper bowl - but it was filled and the atmosphere/energy was great.

I hope next year they put some thought into the Saturday games. That is a tough turnaround, especially if you are on the road for both games or your opponent is playing a D2 school etc.

They really have no choice with the Saturday games. They have 20 slots to play 18 games. If they were dark on Saturday(which Fox would btw never allow)- that would be 19 slots to play 18 games. Would mean either no OOC games in conference season or no bye at all(neither of which is appealing to the teams.)
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board