2) Wednesday Big East Games 1/11/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2) Wednesday Big East Games 1/11/17

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:31 am

Stever, any thoughts on the game tonight? I don't mean to ruffle any Butler feathers, but Stever previously had some pretty decisive thoughts about Creighton not being as good as Butler. Maybe CU can play.
Sumdumguy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 am

JohnW22 wrote:Oh man I can't wait for the numbers to come out to tell me Seton Halls tournament chances now and see what seed they will be in the NIT! :roll:

A little early to be worried about the NIT. :D
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:06 am

Hall2012 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Thrilled that Marquette won (we needed that one badly), but the more and more I watch from this year's team (and even more so since Buzz left) we just don't seem to have a Big East roster. We are undersized, out-manned, lack toughness and seem to get out-hustled during most games. With only two traditional bigs in Fisher and Heldt, this was bound to be exploited this year, but Delgado just manhandled us in the paint. If he made his FTs tonight, SH wins easy.

How we won in OT minus Hauser and Fisher is beyond me. Good game Pirates! Hope we get a Round 3 in the BET!

His free throws? That's about all Delgado did hit in regulation tonight, as terrible as he was in OT. Delgado was awful in the paint, hitting only 3-12 from the field. He should've been able to dominate OT with your bigs fouled out but was just off his game all night.

Frustrating loss. Delgado did dominate in the paint with 19 rebounds. It's pretty tough for him to make shots when he's getting fouled - including the ones that weren't called. There was one play in OT when even the announcers commented that he got fouled 3 times before they called a walk. Another time they swallowed their whistles and called the ball out of bounds when he was getting manhandled.

I was really impressed with how the Hall came back late in this game. His 13 offensive rebounds were incredible. Some of their kids made big time pressure shots with the game on the line. Cool customers. Kept their poise. They must have ice water in their veins. Good things will happen for this team.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
Frustrating loss. Delgado did dominate in the paint with 19 rebounds. It's pretty tough for him to make shots when he's getting fouled - including the ones that weren't called. There was one play in OT when even the announcers commented that he got fouled 3 times before they called a walk. Another time they swallowed their whistles and called the ball out of bounds when he was getting manhandled.

I was really impressed with how the Hall came back late in this game. His 13 offensive rebounds were incredible. Some of their kids made big time pressure shots with the game on the line. Cool customers. Kept their poise. They must have ice water in their veins. Good things will happen for this team.

The rebounds are just to be expected at this point lol. If Delgado finishes in the paint as he normally does, they win comfortably. I already made my point on the officiating in OT but I don't want to harp on it too much because that's not what beat the Pirates, they beat themselves with missed free throws and unforced turnovers. But yes, I was mainly referring to the plays you mentioned, what looked like a clean block sending MU to the line, and I thought that the play Carrington fouled out on was clearly a block (defender was in the semi-circle).
Last edited by Hall2012 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Barley » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 am

I'm surprised there isn't more of a reaction from Butler fans on this one. What a pathetic performance from a team that had as good an NCAA resume as anyone.
Barley

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 am

Barley wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more of a reaction from Butler fans on this one. What a pathetic performance from a team that had as good an NCAA resume as anyone.

There is a lot of reaction at butlerhoops.com

But most Butler fans saw this coming - or at least knew it was a possibility. It was kind of a perfect storm.

1.) Creighton is amazing at home
2.) $1 Beer night atmosphere (in addition to an already amazing atmosphere)
3.) Mo Watson is the embodiment of everything that cripples Butler's defense. A PG that can breakdown a defense leading to lay-ups or wide open 3's
4.) Kelan Martin is in the midst of a monster slump. And Chrabascz was double-teamed most the game. Tough to win with no contributions from Options #1 & 2
5.) Butler was 4-0 against Top 25 (including 3-0 against Top 10 teams). It was due to hit a speedbump

Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Postby kmacker69 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 am

Barley wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more of a reaction from Butler fans on this one. What a pathetic performance from a team that had as good an NCAA resume as anyone.

What are we going to say other than we got out played. :oops: Tip your hat and hope that you play your game the next time they play. CU was playing great D and we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn... That will almost always get you blow out against a team that good on the offensive side. (Played better D in the second half at times and kept it from getting too embarrassing, but still had no answer to Watson when Baldwin wasn't on the floor and that just had him making lots of assists.) See y'all in Hinkle! :twisted:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 am

How dare they lose to a top 10 team on the road!!! Embarrassment to the Big East!!!! In all seriousness do people realize how hard it is to win on the road? I mean even Duke and North Carolina looked bad on the road vs worse teams. Bad games happen and I don't think Creighton was a good matchup for Butler. Come March this game isn't going to hurt Butler. I don't see why they'd be mad it's one of those games you expect to lose and if you win it's just bonus.
XU
JohnW22

Postby brewcity77 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:25 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Frustrating loss. Delgado did dominate in the paint with 19 rebounds. It's pretty tough for him to make shots when he's getting fouled - including the ones that weren't called. There was one play in OT when even the announcers commented that he got fouled 3 times before they called a walk. Another time they swallowed their whistles and called the ball out of bounds when he was getting manhandled.

You're kidding, right? Marquette was called for 4 more fouls, SHU went to the line 6 more times, and Marquette's two starting bigs were both fouled out in regulation. At home. The last thing the refs did was make things tough for Seton Hall.

I'm again impressed with this Hall team. I didn't think they'd fall off much without Whitehead and they haven't. Absolutely a tough team. I think they'll get into the NCAAs with 9 or 10 league wins. I have no desire to see them again until next year. We just don't have enough up front, though adding John, Eke, Cain, and Froling should help with that.
brewcity77

Postby cu blujs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 am

Butler did hold Creighton to 27 points in the second half. Although I think part of that was due to Creighton losing focus a little bit the last 4 to 5 minutes with some silly turnovers (couple of lazy passes, backing up onto the half-court line, Mo not getting the ball past half court in ten seconds with nobody guarding him, and a couple of times just running the shot clock down but then not getting a very good shot). Still, no small part of that was some decent defense by Butler in the second half (also helped Creighton missed a whole bunch of wide open threes in the second half). Also, Butler did finally hit a stretch in the second half where it seemed like they scored on just about every possession for 8 to 10 possessions. Even with the double digit lead, I was not comfortable until the last 3 minutes. Should be a great matchup in Indy. Hoping we come with some new wrinkles to get Patton some more low-post touches. I don't think we did that near enough last night.
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board