Zack Brown arrested

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Zack Brown arrested

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:48 pm

bobpp1 wrote:Agree with you on that x-man. Both had issues but both could really ball. The 72-73 friars were in the final four pulling away from Memphis State when Barnes went down with a leg injury. Would have faced UCLA and Bill Walton for the National Championship. That game broke my heart. Ernie D was one of the greatest passers of all time and Marvin averaged over 19 rebounds a game that year.

I too was a big fan of that Friars team. Ernie D may be the best pure point guard I've ever seen. What were his issues? Too much pasta? ;)
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Doge McDermott wrote:I really hope this doesn't interfere with his band's tour.

First candidate for Post of the Year.
HoosierPal

Postby bobpp1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:04 pm

I think the only issues with Ernie were he never played any defense thus his nickname. My bad if it came out any other way as I always thought of him as a class act. Tommy Heinsohn of the Celtics said the two best passers he had ever seen were Ernie and Bob Cousy. Both had unbelievable court vision. I will always remember Ernies behind the back full court passes to Marvin or Kevin on the friars.
bobpp1

Postby gosports1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
hoops22 wrote:Just what we need, more bad St. John's news. 4 star recruit Zack Brown was arrested for robbing a Walgreens on Sunday night. It was questionable whether he'd ever make it to campus or not, but this will probably end that possibility. The need for big men just became even more urgent for the Johnnies.

LOL at a 7 footer who thinks he'll go unnoticed while attempting shop lifting.

reminds me of a certain "scholar" athlete from PC in the 70s and a not well thought out bus trip
Last edited by gosports1 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gosports1

Postby gosports1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Doge McDermott wrote:I really hope this doesn't interfere with his band's tour.

I know right? You would think someone like him would have an assistant or someone they could send on errands to Walgreens for him
gosports1

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm

bobpp1 wrote:I think the only issues with Ernie were he never played any defense thus his nickname. My bad if it came out any other way as I always thought of him as a class act. Tommy Heinsohn of the Celtics said the two best passers he had ever seen were Ernie and Bob Cousy. Both had unbelievable court vision. I will always remember Ernies behind the back full court passes to Marvin or Kevin on the friars.

I remember the same. It always amazed me how he could whip the ball behind his back as he was crossing half court and hit Marvin in full stride breaking for the basket, perfectly placed so that Marvin didn't even break stride. Ernie was a magician.

I don't know about never playing defense. His problem was that he was slow and couldn't keep up with quicker players. Add his lack of height to that. In total, he was just limited.
Bill Marsh

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 pm

No surprise here:

Zach Brown released from letter of intent to St. John's - ESPN - January 18, 2017

ESPN 100 center Zach Brown has been released from his letter of intent to St. John's.

Brown has been arrested multiple times in the past eight months. He was arrested on multiple robbery charges last May, including robbery with an armed weapon and two counts of robbery by sudden snatching. Brown was also arrested earlier this month and charged with first-degree petit theft, as well as driving with a suspended license and an expired tag, according to the Miami Herald.

Brown, a 7-foot-1 center from Miami, signed with the Red Storm in November after committing to Chris Mullin's program in July. He was also committed to Connecticut for four months earlier this year before reopening his recruitment in May 2016.

"It was a mutual decision to release Zach from his national letter of intent," Mullin said in a statement. "We wish him the best of luck."

Brown is ranked No. 35 in the ESPN 100 for the 2017 class.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:29 pm

St. John's officially released Zach Brown from his NLI.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby SJHooper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:18 am

Thought I'd be a lot more upset over him getting arrested leading to him never playing for us, but I'm really not. IMO if you keep getting arrested over and over making terrible decision after terrible decision, I don't want you on SJ. I don't care about his upbringing, everyone goes through adversity and gets through tough times. This kid had a golden ticket...if only I were that physically and athletically gifted you could bet I'd be a model citizen knowing the NBA was very possible. Big issue with instant gratification these days. People can't see the light at the end of the tunnel even if that light is millions in the NBA.
SJHooper

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board