Zack Brown arrested

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Zack Brown arrested

Postby SJUBBALL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:15 pm

From a basketball standpoint, this sucks. But the guys on the team now are all great kids and high character kids, don't want any player to come in and mess that up, even if he is a good player
SJUBBALL

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bobpp1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 pm

The incident with Marvin Barnes happened when he was a senior at Central High in Providence. Marvin didn't have a mind of his own according to his high school coach Jimmy Adams. Some of Marvins friends thought it would be a good idea to hold up a bus. Marvin went along but couldn't understand why he was fingered as he was wearing his Central High state champion jacket with his name on it. The incident with the tire iron happened with fellow teammate Larry Ketvertis. Apparently they had a argument and Marvin hit Ketvertis with the tire iron. Bad news Barnes was one of the most talented basketball players I've ever seen. RIP News.
bobpp1

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm

hoops22 wrote:He grabbed money out of the cash register.

Raiding someone's cash register only gets you a misdemeanor? :o
Bill Marsh

Postby Doge McDermott » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 pm

I really hope this doesn't interfere with his band's tour.
Doge McDermott

Postby SJHooper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Bad news at SJ is like sunny weather in SoCal, you just kinda expect it. No surprise here.
SJHooper

Postby X-man » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:06 pm

bobpp1 wrote:The incident with Marvin Barnes happened when he was a senior at Central High in Providence. Marvin didn't have a mind of his own according to his high school coach Jimmy Adams. Some of Marvins friends thought it would be a good idea to hold up a bus. Marvin went along but couldn't understand why he was fingered as he was wearing his Central High state champion jacket with his name on it. The incident with the tire iron happened with fellow teammate Larry Ketvertis. Apparently they had a argument and Marvin hit Ketvertis with the tire iron. Bad news Barnes was one of the most talented basketball players I've ever seen. RIP News.

I obviously forgot some of the details regarding the Marvin Barnes saga. I was a grad student at Brown, but I loved the PC program in those days. Barnes and Ernie (no)DiGregorio were two really talented players on that Gavitt-coached team. Fun to watch even thought they both seemed to have issues.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby X-man » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Nildogg wrote:Chris Mack: "Hey Zack.... you'll fit in at Xavier!"

Ah, good ol' Nildogg again. Are you sure you are not actually a Cryer fan? You certainly behave like the more obsessed and delusional ones that used to post on the A-10 board back in the day.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby JohnW22 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Nildogg wrote:Chris Mack: "Hey Zack.... you'll fit in at Xavier!"

As soon as I read the title and after reading the Myles Davis thread I had a feeling somebody would do something like this.
XU
JohnW22

Postby hoops22 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm

X-man wrote:
bobpp1 wrote:The incident with Marvin Barnes happened when he was a senior at Central High in Providence. Marvin didn't have a mind of his own according to his high school coach Jimmy Adams. Some of Marvins friends thought it would be a good idea to hold up a bus. Marvin went along but couldn't understand why he was fingered as he was wearing his Central High state champion jacket with his name on it. The incident with the tire iron happened with fellow teammate Larry Ketvertis. Apparently they had a argument and Marvin hit Ketvertis with the tire iron. Bad news Barnes was one of the most talented basketball players I've ever seen. RIP News.

I obviously forgot some of the details regarding the Marvin Barnes saga. I was a grad student at Brown, but I loved the PC program in those days. Barnes and Ernie (no)DiGregorio were two really talented players on that Gavitt-coached team. Fun to watch even thought they both seemed to have issues.

One of my favorite Marvin Barnes stories was when he played for the St. Louis Spirits in the old ABA. They had a flight across time zones where they were going to take off from Louisville at 8AM and land in St Louis at 7:56 AM. When "Bad News" realized he'd be landing at an earlier time than he took off from, he said " I ain't getting on no time machine" and instead rented a car for the trip to St. Louis.
hoops22

Postby bobpp1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Agree with you on that x-man. Both had issues but both could really ball. The 72-73 friars were in the final four pulling away from Memphis State when Barnes went down with a leg injury. Would have faced UCLA and Bill Walton for the National Championship. That game broke my heart. Ernie D was one of the greatest passers of all time and Marvin averaged over 19 rebounds a game that year.
bobpp1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board