Big East NBA Rookies

The home for Big East hoops

Big East NBA Rookies

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 pm

I know Isaiah Whitehead's been doing pretty well with the opportunity presented to him through injuries, but I really don't follow the NBA much, so how is everyone else doing? Also curious about anyone in the D-League or playing overseas.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Big East NBA Rookies

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East NBA Rookies

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:49 pm

HoosierPal

Re: Big East NBA Rookies

Postby SJHooper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:39 am

I understand that players these days play 1-2 good years and want to cash out to the NBA asap. But there needs to be more of an effort to show them the benefits of staying 3-4. Players in their first 2 seasons are generally nowhere near as good as when they are in their last 2. Look at a guy like Pointer from SJ a few years ago. He was a major recruit...top 25 I think nationally. Jordan Brand All American. His first 3 years he ranged from bad to solid but nowhere near his potential. His senior year he became a breakout star and was an absolute beast. Look at Jakarr Sampson from that same team. Stayed two years, was a good not great player but you could clearly see his potential. He would be a senior if he was on this year's team and never left. I can almost guarantee he'd be a monster. He left early, barely made a bad 76er team, got traded to Denver I believe then got cut and now he's in the D-League for the Grizzlies. If he would have stayed 4 years I really think he would be much more prepared in the NBA. I know these kids risk injury and that's also a part of not staying 4 years. I wish there was a sort of incentive to keep them for 4. I don't know what Jay Wright says to his players, but whatever he says must be very convincing, because his players almost never leave early it seems. As a SJ fan we have lost Harkless after 1 year, Sampson after 2, likely LoVett after 1, and I highly doubt Ponds stays 4 years. Losing such impact players so early kills the team chemistry and makes it almost impossible to win year after year. I really hope under Mullin, we can keep most kids for 3-4 yrs then fill in the gaps with veteran transfers. People always say "That's easy for you to say...what if you knew you'd make millions in the NBA? You'd leave too!" but I really wouldn't. I love the college game. I love the rivalries and the hype. I love the campus atmosphere. If I was a 5 star McDonald's All American, I would have Mullin in my house, tell him I'm committing before he says a word, signing the NLI, and staying 4 years. We need DEDICATED players like Harrison.
SJHooper

Return to Big East basketball message board