JTIII is the worst coach in the NCAA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JTIII is the worst coach in the NCAA

Postby hoopseinstein23 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with DEADHeadHOYA who I have disagreed with in the past. JT111 is the #1 worst coach in the NCAA. Not sure if the worse in history but in the discussion. Georgetown used to be a powerhouse, now a doormat. I would love to see the program get a new coach and start competing again. I personally would not hire JT111 as a YMCA coach
hoopseinstein23

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:07 pm

BigmanU wrote:
misterbob wrote:I think that if it wasnt for his dad, JT3 would probaby have been fired 2-3 years ago!! Its an unfortunate situation for Georgetown to be in but it looks like the reality is that as long as JT senior is still around, his son will continue to be the coach there, regardless of the results-----and thats a shame for all Georgetown fans because it certainly seems as though JT3 is all too often bewildered and over-matched during the game, and many are saying that he now appears to be in over his head in this league!! I think the bottom line is that If he cant recruit enough elite talent to overcome his coaching shortcomings, which has been the case lately, he's obviously gonna fail!

Sorry, totally Incorrect. Being fired 2 or 3 years ago. Not a chance in hell that would be justified. This would be his show me year. One bad year you could get away with, two you would be under serious scrutiny.

12-13 Won BEast title and was COY
13-14 NIT (bad year G'Town standards)
14-15 2nd BEast (NCAA Rd 32)
15-16 (no post season)
16-17 (looks the same as last year and understandably on the hot seat)

yeah. Thing about 12-13 was that it ended with a thud against FGCU. Since they lost to Syracuse in the final OBE tourney, including that game, he's 63-54 in his last 117 games, and only 29-35 vs league opponents in that period.

I would say that his recruiting is good enough. He's had top 25 classes.
stever20

Postby Letskeepitreal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:02 am

I really don't think I he problem for Georgetown is the talent but rather the coach. JT3 is not the answer. The Big East is better when Georgetown is competitive. if X, Butler and Villanova can be competitive annually, Georgetown should be able to do it too.
Letskeepitreal

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:12 pm

I wonder who Hoyas fans think they could get to replace JT3. I would be concerned that the shadow of Big John will loom there forever and a lot of potential coaches might not want that.
ArmyVet

Postby Letsgonova » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:15 pm

If III doesn't leave on his own free will, not certain Jr is around to be an issue.

If G'town is willing to pay his replacement $3M a year like they pay III, the list of replacement candidates will be long and illustrious.
Letsgonova

Postby EMT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:28 pm

ArmyVet wrote:I wonder who Hoyas fans think they could get to replace JT3. I would be concerned that the shadow of Big John will loom there forever and a lot of potential coaches might not want that.

How much juice does Big John really have anymore? He stopped coaching in 1999.
EMT

Postby Edrick » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Why is this different than Ray/Joey Meyer?

The whole concept of being handcuffed to a coach because his dad had success there a generation before is just absurd. Could you imagine if everyone behaved this way? Who would your coach be today?

Do they have a Georgetown Valyrian blade that will pass down to the next awful Thompson coaching generation?
Edrick

Postby Letsgonova » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:57 am

Big John did just fundraise a new $62M practice facility, so I'd say he's still pretty involved.
Letsgonova

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Bump
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Georgetown should check out John Brannen at NKU. He is doing amazing things there.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board