JTIII is the worst coach in the NCAA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JTIII is the worst coach in the NCAA

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Bluejay wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I hate to say it but Gregg Marshall, he's a douche but I think he would get the Hoyas back on track. Either way, like it's been said, until JT2 is gone, no way JT3 is canned unless he willingly resigns...

Marshall is not going to go to a school where academics are stressed unless it is Duke or UNC. He thrives on the lax admission standards that WSU has in place, but would struggle getting his players in at most BE schools.

Eh, he would have a much easier time recruiting in the Big East than in a mid-major conference. I bet he could live with stricter academic standards if it came with a storied program in a power conference.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEhomer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 pm

JohnW22 wrote:
BEhomer wrote:Give him another year with Tremont Waters. I really like this kid alot. Their offense at the very least should be much improved. I don't remember the last time they had a true point like him.

I know Georgetown is in dark times but I feel like the fans are expecting too much out of Waters. He's still going to be a freshman and he's not going to magically turn everything around like people are expecting. I know when things are bad fans tend to think what they don't have yet will fix everything.

I know it's a lot to ask from a freshman. just an observation that he is exactly what they need on offense right now. a sure handed pg who can run offense and create for himself if needed.
BEhomer

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 pm

JT3 is not the worst coach in the NCAA, nor the BE.(See: Tim Miles, Billy Gillespie, Jeff Bzdelik-ex Wake Forest, Brian Gregory-ex GT, Steve Donahue-ex BC, Oregon St. - Jim Anderson 1990–1995 79–90 .467, Eddie Payne 1996–2000 52–88 .371, Ritchie McKay 2001–2002 22–37 .372, Jay John 2003–2008 72–97 .426, Kevin Mouton (interim) 2008 0–13 .000, Craig Robinson 2008–2014 93–104 .469. Washington St. - Kevin Eastman (now w Clippers org:), Paul Graham (now at HS level in Dallas), Ken Bone (now asst w Gonzaga), DePaul coach Wainwright, Purnell, etc. of the last 20 years (other than Leitau) and many more...) Coach Thompson is a proven winner and generally is accepted as a top tier coach.

It would be great for Gtwn to surge/resurge as a force within the conference - for the conferences' sake. Having said the above, let dem dawgs rot in DC (whether Gtwn proper, Foggy Bottom as I like to say, or Roslyn, VA.). They are an arrogant bunch of Pr_cks and deserve all the misery they are currently enjoying. God Bless 'em...Hoyer Hanging Sax players. Hopefully they will continue to wallow in the swine heap- Go Hoyas!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Edrick » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Edrick

Postby BEhomer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:47 am

I know it has gotten worse lately and that's why people overreact but let's look at his entire body of work. one FF appearance and 8 of 12 tourneys made. that's a resume that lot of the candidates will struggle to match.

The man coached teams that played solid D and ran efficient half court offense. I don't think he all of sudden forgot how to coach. What I think happened is some miscues in recruiting. One bad recruiting class can cost you 2-3 years.

He's also trying to change and evolve from being a half court oriented team to more of an up and down team. this is really year 1 of this change and it takes time recruiting the right players.
BEhomer

Postby SJHooper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:08 am

I think JTIII is in a similar boat as Lavin was for us. Early on, lots of success and Lavin had wild success at UCLA. But you can't just take a coach off the leash completely just because they had success at some point. Does it buy you more time and the benefit of the doubt? Of course. But even if you were very successful early on then you go through a very rough patch of 4-5 yrs you should absolutely be held accountable. This is not Monmouth, this is Georgetown for crying out loud. I used to watch SJ V. G'Town games at the Garden and it was almost like being star struck seeing the team in their Air Jordan jerseys and knowing all the tradition and excellence. In the old Big East, G'Town was almost always ranked. Lately, I feel like their prestige has taken a big hit and they may be the biggest victim post-realignment within our conference. I was expecting them to be the Villanova in this league and Villanova hovering in the top 15 range. They need to fire JTIII...you can't blame recruiting from what I understand G'Town has recruited quite well. G'Town is still a very desirable job and you can definitely do better. Who cares that he's the son of one of the best coaches in conference history? There are plenty of sons/daughters of famous athletes and coaches who never come close to replicating their success. They used to be "big bad Georgetown". You knew they would be big, rugged, and usually win. Now going to games as a SJ fan, I feel like we have a good chance every matchup and that feels weird because it used to be the opposite.

I appreciate all the teams in this conference, but long term if SJ and G'Town can't get it together we will suffer down the line. These are two teams with plenty of tradition and name recognition in major markets. Make Georgetown great again!
SJHooper

Postby cu blujs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:38 am

I tend to agree with the above. If there is any knock I have on JTIII, it is that he was late to catch on to the changing landscape of BE basketball. Even as the BE style of play was changing around him, he hung on to guys that would play to a 64-60 drag out, bang em up, chuck the ball at the rim and go jump over/through guys for the offensive board, style of play. Changes in emphasis on rules regarding physical play underneath and eliminating the clutch and grab perimeter defense requires a different style of play today and a different skill set than the BE of ten years ago, IMO. It will remain to be seen whether he can make the transition in recruiting and coaching.
cu blujs

Postby misterbob » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:55 am

I think that if it wasnt for his dad, JT3 would probaby have been fired 2-3 years ago!! Its an unfortunate situation for Georgetown to be in but it looks like the reality is that as long as JT senior is still around, his son will continue to be the coach there, regardless of the results-----and thats a shame for all Georgetown fans because it certainly seems as though JT3 is all too often bewildered and over-matched during the game, and many are saying that he now appears to be in over his head in this league!! I think the bottom line is that If he cant recruit enough elite talent to overcome his coaching shortcomings, which has been the case lately, he's obviously gonna fail!
misterbob

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 pm

To respons directly to the thread title -

No, he isn't the worst coach in the NCAA.

Is he the best coach for Georgetown now and in the future? Probably not.
Bluejay

Postby BigmanU » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 pm

misterbob wrote:I think that if it wasnt for his dad, JT3 would probaby have been fired 2-3 years ago!! Its an unfortunate situation for Georgetown to be in but it looks like the reality is that as long as JT senior is still around, his son will continue to be the coach there, regardless of the results-----and thats a shame for all Georgetown fans because it certainly seems as though JT3 is all too often bewildered and over-matched during the game, and many are saying that he now appears to be in over his head in this league!! I think the bottom line is that If he cant recruit enough elite talent to overcome his coaching shortcomings, which has been the case lately, he's obviously gonna fail!

Sorry, totally Incorrect. Being fired 2 or 3 years ago. Not a chance in hell that would be justified. This would be his show me year. One bad year you could get away with, two you would be under serious scrutiny.

12-13 Won BEast title and was COY
13-14 NIT (bad year G'Town standards)
14-15 2nd BEast (NCAA Rd 32)
15-16 (no post season)
16-17 (looks the same as last year and understandably on the hot seat)
BigmanU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board