Current Bubble Odds

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Current Bubble Odds

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:26 am

kayako wrote:How safe is Xavier?

Very. They still have a game with DePaul on the schedule. ;)
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gosports1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:17 am

imo seton hall has a tough remaining schedule It wouldn't be a stretch to go 1-3. (and I don't mean that as a slight)
gosports1

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 pm

gosports1 wrote:imo seton hall has a tough remaining schedule It wouldn't be a stretch to go 1-3. (and I don't mean that as a slight)

It absolutely would be a stretch for The Hall to go 1-3. Much more likely that they go 3-1.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:26 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
gosports1 wrote:imo seton hall has a tough remaining schedule It wouldn't be a stretch to go 1-3. (and I don't mean that as a slight)

It absolutely would be a stretch for The Hall to go 1-3. Much more likely that they go 3-1.

Looking at the odds- they are projected in the 4 games to get 2.03 wins. They have only 1 gimme. The 2 home games are tough, and they have the road game @ Butler which won't be easy at all. To say that it would be a stretch they lose to all of Xavier, Georgetown, and @ Butler is a joke. In no way would that be a stretch at all. And that's just counting automatically a road game at DePaul.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I want as many Big East teams as possible to dance, but I am stressing about my own team right now and don't have energy to stress about anyone else.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:49 pm

I think Georgetown has to win the last 4 games now. PC probably moved up a few spots by having the weekend off.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

Yeah, @Butler is the only remaining game they won't be favored in.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 am

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Looking at the odds- they are projected in the 4 games to get 2.03 wins. They have only 1 gimme. The 2 home games are tough, and they have the road game @ Butler which won't be easy at all. To say that it would be a stretch they lose to all of Xavier, Georgetown, and @ Butler is a joke. In no way would that be a stretch at all. And that's just counting automatically a road game at DePaul.

Is it even possible to win "2.03 games"? :x

Steven, you're always quoting some statistical formula. It would be refreshing if you'd just give your opinion as a basketball fan.

I'm saying that Seton Hall will go 3-1 in their last 4 games, losing only to Butler. What do you say? ;)
Bill Marsh

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 am

Stever is right that it would not be a stretch for Seton Hall to go 1-3. They have about an equal chance of going 3-1 or going 1-3, but 2-2 is easily the most likely outcome. Considering the different possible outcomes of these last four games, I think Seton Hall is going to end up dancing again this year.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:49 am

XUFan09 wrote:Stever is right that it would not be a stretch for Seton Hall to go 1-3. They have about an equal chance of going 3-1 or going 1-3, but 2-2 is easily the most likely outcome. Considering the different possible outcomes of these last four games, I think Seton Hall is going to end up dancing again this year.

He's not right because there is no right answer to the question. It's opinion based on speculation, not a provable fact.

There are a couple of problems with Stever's conclusion.

1. The statistical projection he's blindly using is based on season long performance and doesn't factor in injuries. Given Xavier's injury situation, the odds for that game go from toss up to heavily favoring The Hall at home.

2. While there's always a chance that DePaul could pull an upset, given that they've won only one conference game all year, the chances of that happening in this game are remote. Again, the statistical projections don't address other factors like motivation. DePaul has nothing to play for; Seton Hall's season is on the line.

3. Seton Hall will be favored at home against Georgetown, but it's possible that GU could pull an upset. It's also possible that SH could pull an upset at Butler.

I think the odds heavily favor 3-1 with wins over Xavier and DePaul being highly likely and a win over Georgetown being probable. While 3-1 is likely, it wouldn't be a stretch to see them go 2-2. But 1-3 would be a stretch. A stretch doesn't mean it can't happen, but if it does SH should be kicking themselves around the block for a week.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board