(3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

Postby cu blujs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:03 pm

SJHooper wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Apparently, sjhooper, you weren't paying attention when our bench was on the floor during several of the little runs your guys had tonight, including the one that got you back within a dozen points. And you probably missed that GT game last year when we blew a 14 point lead in the last 2:30. If you have your starters in the game and are still playing to win, don't expect McDermott to put our bench in -- Particularly given the difference in athleticism between our 1-5 and our 6-10.

Fair enough, wasn't a huge deal just curious. I forgot you blew a 14 pt lead in 2:30 last yr. I was glad that one of your guys who looked injured (Watson?) turned out to be fine. By the way, they really need to replace the rims at Carnesecca...like seriously. For both teams there were many bricks. This is a constant theme...if the ball even sniffs the rim it will fly off of it. The hoops at MSG seem to be way softer and more forgiving. Anyone else notice this?

The truth is, as I think was somewhat evident last night in stretches, that while CU's top 5 are as athletic as anyone in the league playing a comparable position, our next group of Zierden, Hegner and Krampelj are not so much (although Hegner is transforming himself from a spot up 3 point shooter as a freshman to a relatively tough inside player). Freshman Mintz (#1), has BE athleticism, but last night was the first time he has played in other than garbage time this year, and he hasn't exactly played well until last night. I think Mac knows that Watson's back up to this point in the year, walk on Tyler Clement who did not play last night, just isn't going to cut it at all against most BE teams. So, we are really pretty limited in terms of ability to put in a second unit as long as the opposing team is continuing to press the issue. Believe me, all Jays fans are hoping against hope no more injuries and that the starting 5 don't wear down before the end of the year, because we are going to ride them hard. Cole Huff already has ongoing knee issues that also plagued him last year, which requires that he sit out a lot of practices and does limit his game minutes. So, it is really kind of out of necessity.
cu blujs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby REDMEN1415 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 pm

BigEast1 wrote:I was at the St. John's - Creighton game last night and I have to say the atmosphere in the building was electric. The fans were amped even with the early deficit. I spoke to some of the Creighton players in the lobby after the game & told them how much of a great addition they've been to the conference. Same goes with Xavier & Butler. SJU is clearly turning the corner & this league has tremendous potential. I hope people finally stop talking about expansion. We get to play everyone twice, will most likely be sending 50 to 60% of the league to the NCAA every year (I wouldn't rule out 7 teams in the future if things break right) and most importantly, we no longer have to deal with football schools looking to leave. Lets sit back & enjoy the ride of what should be a great Jan & Feb of league play. Can't even imagine what the Big East Tournament will be like this year.

Man, that was a turn back the clock night at Carnesecca/Alumni Hall. That's how it used to be during the Mullin years.
Packed, and loud.

Seen some good signed from the young SJU team. Down 24pnts they could easily just have giving up, but the crowd didn't bail at halftime.
Everyone returned to their seats in the 2nd half, and I think they played hard for the crowd. They gave a good effort.
I like seeing Mullin in charge in the huddle now. He's the coach, head coaches gotta be in charge.

On Creighton? Damn they are real good, I could see them as a F4 team.
Maybe we could be like Creighton is in 2017-18
REDMEN1415

Postby BEhomer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:58 pm

so I caught latter part of 2nd half Nova vs Butler. Heard the fans chanting "Jay Wright Sucks". Did I miss something?

I know they are excited to have #1 defending champ in their home court, but didn't understand deriding the most respectful coach in the entire NCAA.
BEhomer

Postby FDS » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:09 pm

BEhomer wrote:so I caught latter part of 2nd half Nova vs Butler. Heard the fans chanting "Jay Wright Sucks". Did I miss something?

I know they are excited to have #1 defending champ in their home court, but didn't understand deriding the most respectful coach in the entire NCAA.

Jay Wright blew up about a call (that video showed to be correct) and got himself T'd up (probably lucky he didn't get tossed). I think any reasonable fan realizes that Jay Wright is a very respectable guy, but in the heat of a big game like that, that is just fodder for a mob of students. Right or wrong, that is why they were chanting. I don't think I have ever seen Jay Wright get as upset as he was during that first half call.
FDS

Postby sju88grad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:22 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
BigEast1 wrote:I was at the St. John's - Creighton game last night and I have to say the atmosphere in the building was electric. The fans were amped even with the early deficit. I spoke to some of the Creighton players in the lobby after the game & told them how much of a great addition they've been to the conference. Same goes with Xavier & Butler. SJU is clearly turning the corner & this league has tremendous potential. I hope people finally stop talking about expansion. We get to play everyone twice, will most likely be sending 50 to 60% of the league to the NCAA every year (I wouldn't rule out 7 teams in the future if things break right) and most importantly, we no longer have to deal with football schools looking to leave. Lets sit back & enjoy the ride of what should be a great Jan & Feb of league play. Can't even imagine what the Big East Tournament will be like this year.

Man, that was a turn back the clock night at Carnesecca/Alumni Hall. That's how it used to be during the Mullin years.
Packed, and loud.

Seen some good signed from the young SJU team. Down 24pnts they could easily just have giving up, but the crowd didn't bail at halftime.
Everyone returned to their seats in the 2nd half, and I think they played hard for the crowd. They gave a good effort.
I like seeing Mullin in charge in the huddle now. He's the coach, head coaches gotta be in charge.

On Creighton? Damn they are real good, I could see them as a F4 team.
Maybe we could be like Creighton is in 2017-18

I was at the Butler/SJU game and the atmosphere was great!.....Nice to see the fans energized.....here's a cool article about last night's game and Carnesecca Arena....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman ... adb09c6c82
sju88grad

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Now that the conflict of interest game is behind us... Go Johnnies vs X.

I like the way the Johnnies are growing as the season progresses. Catching X at a good time as they will be underestimating St Johns. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby BEhomer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:56 pm

FDS wrote:
BEhomer wrote:so I caught latter part of 2nd half Nova vs Butler. Heard the fans chanting "Jay Wright Sucks". Did I miss something?

Jay Wright blew up about a call (that video showed to be correct) and got himself T'd up (probably lucky he didn't get tossed). I think any reasonable fan realizes that Jay Wright is a very respectable guy, but in the heat of a big game like that, that is just fodder for a mob of students. Right or wrong, that is why they were chanting. I don't think I have ever seen Jay Wright get as upset as he was during that first half call.

ok. I knew there had to be something. First thing on my mind was this is how rivalry is born. Can't wait for what Nova fans have in store for the rematch in Philly.
BEhomer

Postby kayako » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

sciencejay wrote:Not sure why you Nova fan(s) are upset about Butler students chanting "Jay Wright sucks". That's what 18-22 year old college kids do. So what? .

I think most Nova fans were amused by it.
supernova
kayako

Postby kmacker69 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:54 pm

I think, like most Nova fans seem to also, that it was an Ironic chant... (That or the students at BU are really dumb. They aren't.) Trying to rile Jay into another T and mess with his players... Had no effect what-so-ever, which kind of proves the opposite of the chant. ;) I remember screaming far worse things a a BB game as a student. :oops: :twisted:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby SJHooper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 am

This year more than ever before, I feel there is a real buzz on each Big East campus regarding their hoops programs...maybe except DePaul (sorry). Look at the SJ V. Butler game. Raucous crowd, tons of energy. Villanova V. Creighton...massive game, tons of hype and what a great game to watch...Creighton fans were going nuts all game. Now take it to Butler V. Villanova getting the big win in historic Hinkle in front of a massive crowd storming the court (not sure I agree with the court storm but still love the energy). The SJ V. G'Town and SJ V. Villanova games are always big crowds regardless of performance that year so those will be fun. Hell, even Seton Hall V. SJ has been interesting recently...though similar to Creighton I don't think we match up well with them at all given their size and rebounding/paint scoring ability.

You simply don't see this much energy in other conferences IMO. In other conferences, for the most part basketball is just another sport after football. In our conference, basketball is THE sport.
SJHooper

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board