(3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
ConnersvilleBulldog wrote:I think some of you have lost touch with college and the days of having fun as a student. The students like to have a good time at the game. Jay Wright got pissed off and got a T for arguing a call that was correct. You can see how the students can go wild and start chanting out "Jay Wright sucks" for the fun of it. Rushing the court is also something that students and alumni/outsider-fans see from different POVs. Students don't care if Butler has gone to two NC games or whether its one of the best programs in the NCAA. All they care is that they beat the defending National champions/#1 team/undefeated in over 20 games in their house for only the second time ever in Butler history. That sounds like good old fun to me

I'm four years removed from college but I still love those days. I wish I could go back! lol

I mean, I'm still in my 20's (barely) so I'm not that far removed from being a student at Butler. And I'm sure I probably would have contributed to a "Jay Wright Sucks" chant when I was there. But just hearing it on tv sounded bad. Mostly because I have so much respect for Jay Wright - you do that against someone like Tom Crean or any other coach in the game, and I'd laugh my ass off.

And I'm not 100% against storming the court, I just think it's overdone and forced sometimes. I mean when Roosevelt Jones stole the inbounds pass and hit the game winner against Gonzaga while College Gameday was at Hinkle - that felt 100% necessary to rush the court. I was at the National Championship game when Gordon Hayward shot the half-court buzzer-beater. Had that gone it, I 100% would have been on the court. In fact, I texted my dad right before the final play and told him I might need bail money, because I'm rushing the court if we win.

It just seemed tacky in this particular instance to rush when you have a 8 pt lead and you're running the clock out against a team that's in your conference - it seemed forced. But it's still not that big of a deal, just a minor pet peeve. Still I'd rather win and have the kids storm the court, than lose.

Finally, I know it's been mentioned but DAMN IS THE BIG EAST FUN! The Horizon League seems like decades ago already.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bluejay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:15 am

I'm not big on court storming, but if you beat the undefeated, reigning national champion and current number one ranked team, I think a court storming is justified.
Bluejay

Postby BigEast1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:42 am

I was at the St. John's - Creighton game last night and I have to say the atmosphere in the building was electric. The fans were amped even with the early deficit. I spoke to some of the Creighton players in the lobby after the game & told them how much of a great addition they've been to the conference. Same goes with Xavier & Butler. SJU is clearly turning the corner & this league has tremendous potential. I hope people finally stop talking about expansion. We get to play everyone twice, will most likely be sending 50 to 60% of the league to the NCAA every year (I wouldn't rule out 7 teams in the future if things break right) and most importantly, we no longer have to deal with football schools looking to leave. Lets sit back & enjoy the ride of what should be a great Jan & Feb of league play. Can't even imagine what the Big East Tournament will be like this year.
BigEast1

Postby sciencejay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:52 am

Agree that this is super fun. Growing up with the Jays in the Valley, 'big games' felt big to us, but had no national relevance. Now we get to compete in this conference of Hoops-centric schools with the defending NC and several top 20 teams each year. The conference season is tremendous. We were blowing SJ out last night, but they kept at it, we got a little stale (or a lot stale) on offense, and it was a possession or two from getting really interesting down the stretch. There will be no easy nights in the conference--especially on the road. I love that every game matters, nationally. I guess it's just fun to be at the 'table' and hear the talking heads mention us as a possible FF team. I feel like we're in Oz. Fun stuff.
sciencejay

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:44 pm

fun wrote:Creighton Saint John's recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

So we need to go to another message board to get a recap from someone who doesn't know it's St. John's not Saint John's? The latter is in Minnesota the former is in Queens NY.
NJRedman

Postby SJHooper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm

A little further removed from the feeling of a loss (I don't care what expectations are, losing hurts badly especially when it's what you're used to), but like Katz said...what a home run our not so little bros have been in joining our conference. It must be awesome to be a fan of those 3 teams right now. Yes you were very good before the Big East, but to do even better on a much much bigger stage and join other major hoops programs must have you on cloud 9. In fact it may even set a precedent for the near future. The conventional thinking used to be that you absolutely have to be a major football school to compete seriously and have a national presence in college hoops. That has since been shattered. Now it may be more tempting for the Wake Forest/Boston College/Maryland/Vanderbilt/Purdue/UConn's of the world to give up on football and embrace basketball. Yes football makes more money, but as we know, the benefit of being hoops only is being able to invest more money into your hoops rather than having most invested in football.

McDermott is also growing on me...hearing him mic'd up he really pushes his players and is clearly a smart basketball mind. Nationally, Creighton needed to prove they didn't just get lucky with the coach's son playing for them as the best player in the country at the time. They also needed to prove that McDermott is a good coach. Both are being proven this season. Another thing I noticed that Creighton did well was refuse to take the bait on shot fakes. We fall for them often and I know how hard it is to hold back. By the way, regarding the foul discrepancy I was not referring to actual fouls called. I was referring mostly to non-calls that should have been calls. That is what even the announcers noticed. LoVett flopped and no call, then a Creighton guard (defended by LoVett) flopped and he got the call. I also saw lots of offensive elbowing by Creighton and LoVett was taking shots all night but I don't remember one time it was actually called. I don't mind if the refs want to "let them play" and get physical but if that's the case you have to swallow the whistle for both sides, not just one. Reffing a game is one thing but I am disgusted when they change the dynamic of them. Again, we still would have lost but it would have definitely been a single digit deficit if it was called fairly. If we made our layups too it would have gone right down to the wire. But you know what they say, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle...so whatever on to the next. Good game.
SJHooper

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:49 pm

2000 POSTS!!!!
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 pm

NJRedman wrote:2000 POSTS!!!!

2001!
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby fun » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 pm

NJRedman wrote:

So we need to go to another message board to get a recap

Only if you want to learn something.
fun

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:42 pm

fun wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

So we need to go to another message board to get a recap

Only if you want to learn something.

Hahaha okay guy whose 75% of his posts are advertising for his blog. Maybe you can learn that its. St. John's not Saint John's.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board