(3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East games 1/4/17

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 am

sju88grad wrote:I am hoping my Johnnies can be competitive......the team seems to be gaining confidence and if we suffer a blow out loss, it could be tough on a young team.....our next 4 games (home to Creighton, at Xaver, at Gtown and home to Nova) are just brutal....if we could somehow win 1 of those, i would be happy at 3-3 six games into conference play....

I'd be surprised to see a blowout. Don't derestimate the value of home court advantage when the visitors have to travel 1200 miles to get to the games.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SJUBBALL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 pm

don't think St. John's can win this one, especially with creighton coming off a loss. But hopefully with a good atmosphere at CA, the johnnies can hang around and then maybe take the game late.
SJUBBALL

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:28 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:don't think St. John's can win this one, especially with creighton coming off a loss. But hopefully with a good atmosphere at CA, the johnnies can hang around and then maybe take the game late.

Of course they can. Did anyone think your guys would beat Syracuse or Butler?
Bill Marsh

Postby REDMEN1415 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:03 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:don't think St. John's can win this one, especially with creighton coming off a loss. But hopefully with a good atmosphere at CA, the johnnies can hang around and then maybe take the game late.

I don't give 2 shits if Creighton are just coming off a loss.
SJU should be pissed and motivated, for how the game ended last year in Omaha. The ally-oop to get to 100pnts, they clowned on us and I'm still pissed about that, and I really hope the kids are too.

On the SJU boards are talking about Patton as being some unstoppable force and he's just averaging 13 and 6, you'd think he's avg something like 20, 10. Away from the basket I'd put Ahmed or a guard on him, if he gets down low then double him up with a big. I'd even hack him a bit since he isn't a good FT shooter.
I'm more worried about Watson, Foster, Huff. Watson might be the only guard in the B.E. that can match Lovetts quickness.

I'd like to full court press them in situation and try to disrupt them on off. Gotta make it a half court game, and man to man all game long, you can't zone vs. them.

Carnesecca has to be rocking tonight, would be our biggest win in Alumni Hall/Carnesecca Arena since 1975 when #7 Tennessee.
To me this is SJU's biggest game since the Pitt game during Lavs first year. I want this game really bad.
REDMEN1415

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:

I don't give 2 shits if Creighton are just coming off a loss.
SJU should be pissed and motivated, for how the game ended last year in Omaha. The ally-oop to get to 100pnts, they clowned on us and I'm still pissed about that, and I really hope the kids are too.

Given the roster turnover from last year to this, I'm guessing that it won't be as big a motivator as you'd like.

On the SJU boards are talking about Patton as being some unstoppable force and he's just averaging 13 and 6, you'd think he's avg something like 20, 10. Away from the basket I'd put Ahmed or a guard on him, if he gets down low then double him up with a big. I'd even hack him a bit since he isn't a good FT shooter.

Saying "he isn't a good FT shooter" is an insult to players who aren't good FT shooters. At 47% he's beyond bad and has definitely earned the hack-a-shack treatment.

I'm more worried about Watson, Foster, Huff. Watson might be the only guard in the B.E. that can match Lovetts quickness.

I'd like to full court press them in situation and try to disrupt them on off. Gotta make it a half court game, and man to man all game long, you can't zone vs. them.

Carnesecca has to be rocking tonight, would be our biggest win in Alumni Hall/Carnesecca Arena since 1975 when #7 Tennessee.
To me this is SJU's biggest game since the Pitt game during Lavs first year. I want this game really bad.

Agree with your strategy. With their ability to make 3's, it's important to find some way to take them out of their rhythm.
Bill Marsh

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:27 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:I don't give 2 shits if Creighton are just coming off a loss.

The CU students made fun of CM's shoes and made him pout that night too...buck up, sissy pants.
TrueBlueJay

Re: (3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

Postby cu blujs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Oh please, there was almost a minute left in the game, shot clock was still on and the bottom guys on the roster were on the floor. Your guys were still chucking up bricks to the end.
cu blujs

Postby SJUBBALL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

No, but Syracuse isn't a very good team, and butler is of course very good but Creighton is better. And we also match up better with Butler. We are much more altheltic than them, CU not so much.

Not getting my hopes up. Prediction is CU 80-68
SJUBBALL

Re: (3) Wednesday BE Games - 01/04/2017

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:57 pm

cu blujs wrote:Oh please, there was almost a minute left in the game, shot clock was still on and the bottom guys on the roster were on the floor. Your guys were still chucking up bricks to the end.

Because we were losing.
NJRedman

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:10 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

No, but Syracuse isn't a very good team, and butler is of course very good but Creighton is better. And we also match up better with Butler. We are much more altheltic than them, CU not so much.

Not getting my hopes up. Prediction is CU 80-68

So you're saying that for the reasons stated, St John's can't possibly win this game? :o
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board