Big East Brainstorming v. 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Brainstorming v. 2017

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:13 pm

mpwalsh8 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:A tri-state Big 5. Rutgers, SJU, SH, Cuse and UConn all play each other each year. Best record gets crowned the champ.

Very interesting, I like it.

It reminds me of the suggestion that constantly gets floated for a New Jersey State Tournament.

I have 1 question though - how would you handle St. John's - Seton Hall since they would play each other twice? Would they play a 3rd time in what would officially be an OOC game? Perhaps predetermine one of the two Big East meetings to count towards this event? Or something else?

When Temple, LaSalle, and St. Joe's were all in the A10 (LaSalle and St. Joe's still are) and they played home and home. they designated one of their two games against each other as the Big 5 game. I don't recall how they decided which game was the Big 5 game, but there was a process.

It seems the most sensible to me. I would imagine they just alternate which team's home game counts each year.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby easypaddy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:29 am

Split the 10 league coaches into two 5 person teams and play a charity basketball game.
easypaddy

Postby Bluejay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am

Xer4ever wrote:National Signing Day at MSG covered by Fox. Including detailed profiles and film on every Big East recruit.

This is an idea I can get behind. It would be unique and recruits would eat it up. I'm sure other conferences would eventually copy it, but would be pretty amazing while we are the only ones doing it. Imagine this conversation with a kid who is considering a Big East team and a couple of other power conference teams:

BE Coach, "Hey recruit, just checking in to see how things are going."

recruit, "Hey coach. This recruiting thing is hard. I don't know what to do..."

BE coach: "I understand there is a lot out there to consider. Like I've told you before, we really want you to come here. I don't want to put any pressure on you, but I just wanted to let you know that FS1 is going to run a feature on all of our commits on signing day. I'd like to give them a heads up a few days ahead of time if you are going to pick us so that they can get graphics ready and highlights films cut up for you. They probably would also be very interested in an on air interview with you if that is something you want to do. Keep us in mind and Go _______!"

recruit: "Wow coach, that's pretty cool. Let me talk to my folks and I'll call you back."
Bluejay

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Make every Saturday a Big East Marathon day.
Schedule our games at 12, 2, 4, 6 and 8pm.
May want to avoid NFL games I guess, but for me give me wall to wall BE hoops.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:17 pm

I'll look to update this regularly, adding every idea to the original post on Page 1.
Keep the ideas coming in.
There are no bad ideas.
Providence
billyjack

Postby marquette » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 pm

As a complement to the Freshmen Fundamentals maybe a Senior Send Off weekend. Maybe have old players who went on to the NBA, overseas, or into business to help them with the transition to life after college. You could end it off with the aforementioned coaches/alumni game.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Back in the day, I think during the NBA on CBS telecasts in the 70's, they'd have a feature named "Red On Roundball". It was a 4 minute segment with Red Auerbach on a basketball court with a famous NBA player, and they'd give tips on basketball skills, drills, plays, rebounding, etc. I think the NHL back then had "Peter Puck", who would provide the same type information, but on hockey.

Anyway, we could have Big East coaches provide segments based on the old popular "Red On Roundball"... Ed Cooley could show how to run the Flex, or JT3 on the Princeton Offense, etc.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:47 am

Thought of a couple more ideas during the season. Figured I'd wait til after the national finals to post them...

- during TV broadcasts, add a fan from each school to sit behind the microphone, to announce the play-by-play and or work as an analyst. This idea was used in EPL soccer games back 10 or so years ago.

...The Big East equivalent of this would be to have Tim Brando and Tarik Turner call a Creighton-Villanova game, but for 10 minutes each half they're joined by gtmoblue or Jet915, and GumbyDammit or Westbrook. The fans behind the mike would lend expertise on their team, some passion, some complaining about poor officiating...

... imagine Brunson driving down the lane... he stops... he does a shot fake... he spins to pass it back out... meanwhile gtmoblue barks "steps!" or "travel!" or "3 seconds!"...

... Creighton takes the ball down court... gtmoblue barks "just feed Patton... mismatch on Patton..."

anyway, something like that.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 am

Another idea:

- to recognize and celebrate Big East history and tradition, we commemorate past highlights on certain dates or weeks...

In my scenario, next year, we recognize 3 people (could be more, these are just quickly off the top of my head):
- John Thompson Jr.
- Lou Carnesecca.
- Rollie Massimino.

Each of these 3 legends is still with us.

- for JT Jr, each coach during the game places a towel over his right shoulder, the way John Thompson used to do. This would be done in games on or around February 13th, the day in 1980 when JT Jr beat Syracuse and said "Manley Fieldhouse is officially closed..."

- for Louie, each coach during the game wears his classic brown v-neck sweater with that crazy blue and red V-pattern on it. This would be done on or around February 27th, the date in 1985 when JT Jr wore Louie's good luck sweater in the MSG #1 vs #2 matchup.

- for Rollie, each coach during the game wears a classic button up Van Heusen dress shirt, no jacket, but loosens the collar and untucks the shirt tail so that it's hanging out the back at a minimum. This would be done maybe either on November 13th (his birthday) or maybe during our opening Big East game ariund New Year's Eve.

Also, at some point, each team would be recognized in some manner.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:40 am

Is there any sort of a Big East Conference Hall of Fame? Because if not, that's something that could be done. Induct a new class of athletes some time during the men's basketball tournament every year.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board