Non-Big East Conference Realignment Thread v. 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:53 am

Time to start a new conference realignment thread. Our 2016 model had over 1,100 posts. Friar fan Noonzy takes the honors for posting the final message in that old thread.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Conference Realignment Thread v. 2017

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Happy New Year!

No to any additions until Saint Louis turns it into a top program in the A10, then you can invite them with Dayton. Until then, remain at 10.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Happy New Year.

Just say no to expansion...UNLESS,

It's S'Cuse n Duke, or UConn n Duke, or WF n Duke, or Vandy n Duke, or St Bonnie's n Holy Cross. :o
Given these combo's...It's a definite No.

Perhaps u should put a lock on the 2016 thread? Some folk apparently didn't get the memo.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:49 pm

I shared some information in the brainstorming thread that came across my desk having to do with the Big East's go-forward strategic "categories" with BRANDING being one of the core categories described.

Anyone with a clue who understands the Branding category will immediately understand that the Big East is not about to dilute its brand in order to game additional NCAA bids.

More to the point, the Big East is dealing from a position of strength now, with part of that strength coming from the 10-team Round Robin format the conference enjoys. Nobody in their right mind wants that disturbed.

And what once may have been an offer to bump the payout structure to normalize the payouts per school under a 12-team format, probably has turned into a situation where that is very definitely off the table due to the changing landscape in media distribution technology and economics, except for very certain candidates who are presently not deemed available as of today.

Discussing expansion to 14 teams is absurd. Discussing expansion to 12 teams probably is as well at this point. And discussing adding a pivotal one program is an academic exercise at best.

Onward we go as we presently exist, unless some big opportunity presents itself. I just cannot imagine that happening for a number of years, now that the Big 12 has settled itself down for a while.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Hoya33 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Dayton made sense from the very beginning. Why they are not in remains a mystery to me. Dayton, by itself, would be an outstanding member. Arguing against Dayton's addition makes no sense.

Boston university and Richmond should be added immediately. Put the East back in The Big East, on 95, on- campus arenas, big endowments, great basketball potential and good academics. Add these two and call it a day.
Hoya33

Postby scoscox » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Those would be huge steps back for the conference. Dayton... okay maybe. Boston and Richmond? What?
scoscox

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Dayton made sense from the very beginning. Why they are not in remains a mystery to me. Dayton, by itself, would be an outstanding member. Arguing against Dayton's addition makes no sense.

Boston university and Richmond should be added immediately. Put the East back in The Big East, on 95, on- campus arenas, big endowments, great basketball potential and good academics. Add these two and call it a day.

don't you guys play off campus in an NBA arena? Does this also mean you'd like to rid us of MSG for the tournament?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Xudash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:45 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Hoya33 wrote:Dayton made sense from the very beginning. Why they are not in remains a mystery to me. Dayton, by itself, would be an outstanding member. Arguing against Dayton's addition makes no sense.

don't you guys play off campus in an NBA arena? Does this also mean you'd like to rid us of MSG for the tournament?

I'm still trying to process how Dayton made sense from the very beginning. Of course, there isn't any reason to actually spend time on that one, sense the people who actually made the decisions on conference composition didn't think that way at all and appear to have gotten it right with X, Butler and Creighton.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Xudash wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

I'm still trying to process how Dayton made sense from the very beginning. Of course, there isn't any reason to actually spend time on that one, sense the people who actually made the decisions on conference composition didn't think that way at all and appear to have gotten it right with X, Butler and Creighton.

We miss you guys too. I'll be beyond shocked at ever getting a nice comment on this board from a X fan. But I do agree with you Dash- the 3 of you have been very good for the BE- you'll never hear sour grapes from a UD fan on that.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby Burrito » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:41 pm

As a Georgetown fan, I am much more interested in the Hoyas actually winning games, not adding Richmond and Boston University to the Big East.
Burrito

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board