Non-Big East Conference Realignment Thread v. 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Non-Big East Conference Realignment Thread v. 2017

Postby EMT » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:37 am

sciencejay wrote:Question: does anybody see a point in the near future when the NCAA removes the auto bid from a 'conference'? I would suggest that even without WSU, the MVC is still well above the SoCon and several other one-bid conferences, but at some point, does the NCAA finalize the separation between the equivalent of FBS and FCS schools? I would think they won't, but I could see them allowing the F5 (hopefully with the BEast although I don't think it's guaranteed) to create their own basketball tourney/championship. Then it would be over for those left out since there would be no money for them.

In order to improve the NCAA tourney, the NCAA should give the automatic bids to the regular season champion. That way you are guaranteeing the best team from every conference gets in. You can still hold the conference tourney and have bragging rights but these mid major conferences have a chance to get more NCAA win shares by sending their best teams to the tourney.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 am

EMT wrote:
sciencejay wrote:Question: does anybody see a point in the near future when the NCAA removes the auto bid from a 'conference'? I would suggest that even without WSU, the MVC is still well above the SoCon and several other one-bid conferences, but at some point, does the NCAA finalize the separation between the equivalent of FBS and FCS schools? I would think they won't, but I could see them allowing the F5 (hopefully with the BEast although I don't think it's guaranteed) to create their own basketball tourney/championship. Then it would be over for those left out since there would be no money for them.

In order to improve the NCAA tourney, the NCAA should give the automatic bids to the regular season champion. That way you are guaranteeing the best team from every conference gets in. You can still hold the conference tourney and have bragging rights but these mid major conferences have a chance to get more NCAA win shares by sending their best teams to the tourney.

Then you remove the significance and importance of the conference tournaments, which many get tons of fans to travel for due to its unpredictability and excitement. If you win the regular season, you are guaranteed at least a spot in the NIT. If you are good enough to win the regular season, you are good enough to win the tournament.

I'm all for cutting down the total number of conferences though. There are some that can easily be assimilated by others. It's a joke that some conferences, who never compete for tournament runs, are able to consistently get cash from the NCAA. Cut the SWAC, WAC, and Atlantic Sun - that's nearly 30 teams right there than can be placed in other conferences and removes three autobids.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby EMT » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:28 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
EMT wrote:

Then you remove the significance and importance of the conference tournaments, which many get tons of fans to travel for due to its unpredictability and excitement. If you win the regular season, you are guaranteed at least a spot in the NIT. If you are good enough to win the regular season, you are good enough to win the tournament.

I'm all for cutting down the total number of conferences though. There are some that can easily be assimilated by others. It's a joke that some conferences, who never compete for tournament runs, are able to consistently get cash from the NCAA. Cut the SWAC, WAC, and Atlantic Sun - that's nearly 30 teams right there than can be placed in other conferences and removes three autobids.

Do these mid/low major conference tourneys actually draw well? I'm asking because I don't know.
EMT

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:37 pm

It doesn't matter whether a conf tourney draws EMT. The conf tourney champion gets the conf autobid. Attendance draws are the individual conferences' problem (whether it's at the Barclays, MSG, Scottrade, or lesser locations).

Mid majors and below "make" the NCAA basketball tourney as exciting and interesting as it currently is. A ff "NCAA-type" tourney would be a bore. The ff play each other all season- to then continue such nondescript fare into a tourney, ho-hum... Just give a trophy to K, Roy, Self, Cal, or god forbid Alford - and call it a day.

Eliminating low-major conferences? Naw. Just allow the ff to go their own way-with their own, non-NCAA, little tourney. Perhaps in Greensboro, NC? Bankers 'Life, Prudential, or some other conglomerate will sponsor it for them. The NCAA can still be profitable with the "other 26" conferences. The NCAA has long term contracts in place.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby cu blujs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 am

I believe who gets the auto is up to each conference. The NCAA doesn't dictate how a conference determines its automatic entrant. Unless they have changed in the last couple of years, the Ivy league doesn't have a conf. tournament, sending its regular season champ. For many of the low and mid major conferences, the conf. tournament is about getting on t.v. as much as getting fans to the games, I think. For some, the tournament finals might be the only time those teams are on national (or even regional) television all year. I don't see them giving that up. I think the vast majority of the time, even if the conf. reg. season champ gets beat in the conf. tournament, it probably had about as much chance of advancing in the NCAA tournament as the team that actually went.
cu blujs

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 am

cu blujs wrote:I believe who gets the auto is up to each conference. The NCAA doesn't dictate how a conference determines its automatic entrant. Unless they have changed in the last couple of years, the Ivy league doesn't have a conf. tournament, sending its regular season champ. For many of the low and mid major conferences, the conf. tournament is about getting on t.v. as much as getting fans to the games, I think. For some, the tournament finals might be the only time those teams are on national (or even regional) television all year. I don't see them giving that up. I think the vast majority of the time, even if the conf. reg. season champ gets beat in the conf. tournament, it probably had about as much chance of advancing in the NCAA tournament as the team that actually went.

The IVY had their first conference tournament this season.
ArmyVet

Postby xusandy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:37 am

For me, one of the real charms of the NCAA tournament is the David vs. Goliath possibility -- and over the years we've seen a few stunning upsets pulled off by low major teams. I even like the play-in format where the 4 lowest seeded teams to make the field get to play each other and maybe pick up a win! Certainly some satisfaction for their fans when they win in Dayton. I would not want to see the low majors left out!

The only thing I might change is to make all the "play-in" games be ones involving the 8 lowest seeded teams -- the winners would get a 16 seed. If so, then a few of the teams that get 12-15 seeds in the current format would be dropped a line, and hence we might see even more first round big upsets -- a few better teams getting lower seeds than we see at present.

But would Dayton be able to sell out the 4 play-in games if no major conference teams were sent there? I dunno, and the current format works just fine anyway.
xusandy

Postby milksteak » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 am

Lots of rumors that Valpo is heading to the MVC. I think this would be good for both parties. You Jays fans should be glad it didn't happen earlier. Crackerbox gym.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Jet915 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 am

milksteak wrote:Lots of rumors that Valpo is heading to the MVC. I think this would be good for both parties. You Jays fans should be glad it didn't happen earlier. Crackerbox gym.

Sadly, the MVC is turning into a crackerbox conference.
Jet915

Postby admin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Reported that IUPUI is heading to the Horizon to replace Valpo.
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board