Non-Big East Conference Realignment Thread v. 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Non-Big East Conference Realignment Thread v. 2017

Postby hoopstar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:22 pm

I live in Columbus, look like they will keep Thad, they trust him and he has a good class coming the next two years. But your right he needs to hurry and get the fan base back at the games. Archie has his best class coming and wont leave the school empty if he leaves and the kids also de commit. The Dayton job will become a good destination for a current coach as well as assistants. Archie loved OSU so I can see that perhaps down the road.
hoopstar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 pm

hoopstar wrote:travel better than anyone on the conference. Huge NYC alumni that would fill the empty seats at St Johns and Seton Hall.

Is this true?
supernova
kayako

Postby scoscox » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 pm

hoopstar wrote:I live in Columbus, look like they will keep Thad, they trust him and he has a good class coming the next two years. But your right he needs to hurry and get the fan base back at the games. Archie has his best class coming and wont leave the school empty if he leaves and the kids also de commit. The Dayton job will become a good destination for a current coach as well as assistants. Archie loved OSU so I can see that perhaps down the road.

Thad's seat is surprisingly extremely hot amongst most fans. I think they will keep him and I think he will get them back on track, but the anti-Thad sentiment is strong. Unfortunately, I think Archie is gone at UD and I'm not sure any teams are an expansion slam dunk. This is not to say I woudn't take them over some current members.

I'm surprised to hear that speculation about Mack wanting a more high-profile job. I don't necessarily think his hometown ties to Xavier are unbreakable, but he's not exactly hurting at Xavier. Great facilities, sell-outs every game, private jet for recruiting, charter flights, BE membership, best recruiting class in history. Aside from not having a final four, X is indistinguishable from most power programs not named Duke, Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas. His salary at 1.5 mill is not chump change either and only promises to get larger in the coming years with added BE revenue. There are very few schools that would not be seen as a lateral move at best.
scoscox

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:57 pm

scoscox wrote:
I think Archie is gone at UD

Why do you think this?

When do you think Archie will leave, and where do you think Archie will go?

It appears that Archie is not interested in the NC State job, and there are no vacancies at Ohio State, Indiana, or Louisville.

Archie Miller and Chris Mack will both be leading candidates for these three jobs when they become available, which hopefully will not be very soon.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby ChicagoX » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Tom Crean has completely lost his team at IU, and I could see him getting fired at the end of the season if Indiana misses the NCAAs. The alums are fed up with him. Thad Matta has had health issues that could force him to either retire or leave the game for a while, particularly with the decline of the program this year. I think both are distinct possibilities this off-season. Archie is too talented of a coach and too competitive to stay much longer at a mid-major program.
ChicagoX

Postby scoscox » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
scoscox wrote:
I think Archie is gone at UD

Why do you think this?

When do you think Archie will leave, and where do you think Archie will go?

It appears that Archie is not interested in the NC State job, and there are no vacancies at Ohio State, Indiana, or Louisville.

Archie Miller and Chris Mack will both be leading candidates for these three jobs when they become available, which hopefully will not be very soon.

I may very well be overly pessimistic about Archie's future at Dayton. I have a hard time thinking he will spend his career there. Maybe I'm wrong.
scoscox

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm

kayako wrote:
hoopstar wrote:travel better than anyone on the conference. Huge NYC alumni that would fill the empty seats at St Johns and Seton Hall.

Is this true?

So does every school in the country. It's the largest metropolitan area in North America. It's just something SJU and SHU have to deal with being located in the NY-Metro area. Everyone they play has a lot of alumni in NYC area so they naturally get a lot of visiting fans at their games. I don't see Dayton as anything special in this regard.

Dayton played at Seton Hall in the 2010-11 season and while there were certainly some visiting fans there, I don't remember anything particularly impressive. Attendance data seems to back that up. The 7K tickets distributed was only slightly above the OOC conference average (it was also the only semi-attractive name on the OOC schedule that year) and got torched by every Big East game except the one against USF. Now to be fair, that was a while ago and before UD's run of success. But countering that is the fact that it was a one-off game and not an annual one, making it more of a must-see for that "huge" NYC alumni base.

Even if it were true, would it really be a positive? Seton Hall and St. John's hated having their arenas overrun by UConn and Syracuse fans in the old league. Obviously Dayton is lightyears away from being able to draw anything close to what they do, but even if they could bring an unusually large number of fans I doubt it would be viewed as a positive. Both schools obviously want to improve their attendance numbers, but they need to do that by improving their programs to the point that their own fans show up in larger numbers. The only thing more embarrassing than playing in front of empty seats is having visiting fans take over your building.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:

Is this true?

So does every school in the country. It's the largest metropolitan area in North America. It's just something SJU and SHU have to deal with being located in the NY-Metro area. Everyone they play has a lot of alumni in NYC area so they naturally get a lot of visiting fans at their games. I don't see Dayton as anything special in this regard.

Dayton played at Seton Hall in the 2010-11 season and while there were certainly some visiting fans there, I don't remember anything particularly impressive. Attendance data seems to back that up. The 7K tickets distributed was only slightly above the OOC conference average (it was also the only semi-attractive name on the OOC schedule that year) and got torched by every Big East game except the one against USF. Now to be fair, that was a while ago and before UD's run of success. But countering that is the fact that it was a one-off game and not an annual one, making it more of a must-see for that "huge" NYC alumni base.

Even if it were true, would it really be a positive? Seton Hall and St. John's hated having their arenas overrun by UConn and Syracuse fans in the old league. Obviously Dayton is lightyears away from being able to draw anything close to what they do, but even if they could bring an unusually large number of fans I doubt it would be viewed as a positive. Both schools obviously want to improve their attendance numbers, but they need to do that by improving their programs to the point that their own fans show up in larger numbers. The only thing more embarrassing than playing in front of empty seats is having visiting fans take over your building.

Dayton averages 13k per home game. They have one of the best traveling fan bases around. Under Archie Miller, they have consistently competed for A-10 Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. They are focused on high-level men's basketball, are a Catholic university, located within the footprint of the conference. They were a serious contender when the league was formed, and will likely be again if the league ever decides to expand. They would certainly not drag the league down, and would really fortify and strengthen the middle of the conference - expanding the conference to regularly put 6, maybe 7, teams in the tournament if we went to 11 or 12.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that Archie is offered and accepts the IU job after the season. Tom Crean would obviously get dismissed. Dayton could hire a well-known coach, like Crean or Mark Gottfried, and not lose any momentum they have sustained under Archie. Under that scenario, the university would show its commitment to high-level basketball, and - potentially - bring in a a rabid fan base and or potential ticket owners at the Big East Tournament in March.

Dayton is very much at the top of the expansion list from Presidents. The only thing it will take from them is to have sustained success after Archie (like VCU w/ Shaka and Butler w/ Stevens), and for the conference to decide to expand.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby SJU1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Merge with all the good teams in the AAC. Add UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU and Maybe Houston and the Big East would have a nice conference. The other AAC basketball teams could affiliate with another conference. The football would stay intact in the AAC and keep them happy. Even if a school or two leaves, It won't really hurt the Big East.
SJU1987

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

Dayton averages 13k per home game. They have one of the best traveling fan bases around. Under Archie Miller, they have consistently competed for A-10 Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. They are focused on high-level men's basketball, are a Catholic university, located within the footprint of the conference. They were a serious contender when the league was formed, and will likely be again if the league ever decides to expand. They would certainly not drag the league down, and would really fortify and strengthen the middle of the conference - expanding the conference to regularly put 6, maybe 7, teams in the tournament if we went to 11 or 12.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that Archie is offered and accepts the IU job after the season. Tom Crean would obviously get dismissed. Dayton could hire a well-known coach, like Crean or Mark Gottfried, and not lose any momentum they have sustained under Archie. Under that scenario, the university would show its commitment to high-level basketball, and - potentially - bring in a a rabid fan base and or potential ticket owners at the Big East Tournament in March.

Dayton is very much at the top of the expansion list from Presidents. The only thing it will take from them is to have sustained success after Archie (like VCU w/ Shaka and Butler w/ Stevens), and for the conference to decide to expand.

Did you reply to the right post? Because I wasn't addressing or disputing any of that. All I was addressing was that Dayton having a large NYC alumni base isn't impressive because so does everybody and the idea they could help the SJU/SHU attendance for 1 game a year because they didn't exactly show up in impressive numbers last time they were at SHU.

I do agree that, should the Big East choose to expand, Dayton would be one of the top candidates. However, I am still of the hope that the Big East will not expand past 11 and won't even go to 11 for anyone other than UConn (or St. Louis for selfish reasons).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board