(3) Sunday BE Games - 01/01/2017 - New Year's Day...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Sunday BE Games - 01/01/2017 - New Year's Day...

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 am

SJHooper wrote:
Also, I've never seen a player get away with so many offensive fouls as Billy Garrett. The guy literally extends his arm completely almost every drive. Not only does he never get called,

All in all, great gritty win, no letdown, and onto Creighton where we have nothing to lose and a ton to gain. I killed this team early and I've been eating crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner after the past 3 games. I hope to continue, crow is delicious. Still very early on, but we are showing signs of life and improvement.

Agree with you on Garrett; thought the same thing.

I don't envy you Johnnies fans... You see the talent and you also see the youth. I kind of figured this is how SJU would go this year. High highs and head-scratching lows. Hoping for you guys that this team has turned a corner and is figuring things out.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Hall2012 wrote:A 28% 3pt shooter would have the day of his life against us...

I sympathize, but it was hardly the game of his life since he's had any number of games like that before. :cry:
Bill Marsh

Postby SJUBBALL » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:51 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
SJHooper wrote:
Also, I've never seen a player get away with so many offensive fouls as Billy Garrett. The guy literally extends his arm completely almost every drive. Not only does he never get called,

All in all, great gritty win, no letdown, and onto Creighton where we have nothing to lose and a ton to gain. I killed this team early and I've been eating crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner after the past 3 games. I hope to continue, crow is delicious. Still very early on, but we are showing signs of life and improvement.

I don't envy you Johnnies fans... You see the talent and you also see the youth. I kind of figured this is how SJU would go this year. High highs and head-scratching lows. Hoping for you guys that this team has turned a corner and is figuring things out.

ummm pretty sure it should go without saying that a Villanova fan doesn't envy the position of Johnny fans. You guys won the national championship last year and are now undefeated, so I don't think you should be envious of any other fan base in the country honestly, especially not the boys from Jamaica.
SJUBBALL

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:05 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
SJHooper wrote:

ummm pretty sure it should go without saying that a Villanova fan doesn't envy the position of Johnny fans. You guys won the national championship last year and are now undefeated, so I don't think you should be envious of any other fan base in the country honestly, especially not the boys from Jamaica.

LOL. True there. Didn't mean it like that...

I'm an longtime Nova fan (father was an alum and I'm an Alum) and also a long time Eagles fan and Flyers fan and Sixers fan, etc.. So I know firsthand how it is difficult to remain loyal and fanatical when your team plays so inconsistently because of youth. I meant it more as someone who knows what it means to be a rabid fan of a team that is young but talented, that requires patience right now.

The good news is that the skies that were so dark prior to the Cuse game are now starting to open up for the Johnnies. That's good for the league, so I am happy for their fans.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby SJUBBALL » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:15 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
SJUBBALL wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

I'm an longtime Nova fan (father was an alum and I'm an Alum) and also a long time Eagles fan and Flyers fan and Sixers fan, etc.. So I know firsthand how it is difficult to remain loyal and fanatical when your team plays so inconsistently because of youth. I meant it more as someone who knows what it means to be a rabid fan of a team that is young but talented, that requires patience right now.

The good news is that the skies that were so dark prior to the Cuse game are now starting to open up for the Johnnies. That's good for the league, so I am happy for their fans.

No hard feelings, Gumby. Yes I know the Eagles very well and they are a lot like this St. John's team. You see the young talent, but then you drop games and you have no idea how. The Eagles had games this year (@Lions, @Cowboys) they simply shouldn't have lost. St. John's has games like that this year too.

It sucks because every fan base wants to win right away. What keeps me optimistic is I look at Creighton's rebuild. After Dougie they didn't have much. It took them 3 years and they are back in national rankings.

This is year 2 of the johnnies rebuild, and I think so far they are showing a lot of promise. Last year CU didn't go to the tournament but they saw the talent of Watson, Huff, and knew with Foster coming in it'd be a good year. I get the same feeling watching Ponds, Lovett, Owens, Ellison, Ahmed. I know with Simon, Clarke, and Brown, we can be good next year.

The problem with St. John's, and I'm droning on now, is that it's always "next year" for us as fans. So even though our roster looks good next season, I can't get too excited until I see it happen.
SJUBBALL

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:25 pm

SJU1987 wrote:I think Ponds and Lovett will stay another year. If one leaves, we'll have Justin Simon to take his spot. We'll also have at least 2 scholarships open at the end of the season.

Neither will leave after this year. Who knows about after next year but they will both stay at the very least one more year.
NJRedman

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:31 pm

NJRedman wrote:
SJU1987 wrote:I think Ponds and Lovett will stay another year. If one leaves, we'll have Justin Simon to take his spot. We'll also have at least 2 scholarships open at the end of the season.

Neither will leave after this year. Who knows about after next year but they will both stay at the very least one more year.

Unless they can't hack it academically, both will be there for 4 years.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
SJUBBALL wrote:
ummm pretty sure it should go without saying that a Villanova fan doesn't envy the position of Johnny fans. You guys won the national championship last year and are now undefeated, so I don't think you should be envious of any other fan base in the country honestly,

No hard feelings, Gumby. Yes I know the Eagles very well and they are a lot like this St. John's team. You see the young talent, but then you drop games and you have no idea how. The Eagles had games this year (@Lions, @Cowboys) they simply shouldn't have lost. St. John's has games like that this year too.

It sucks because every fan base wants to win right away. What keeps me optimistic is I look at Creighton's rebuild. After Dougie they didn't have much. It took them 3 years and they are back in national rankings.

This is year 2 of the johnnies rebuild, and I think so far they are showing a lot of promise. Last year CU didn't go to the tournament but they saw the talent of Watson, Huff, and knew with Foster coming in it'd be a good year. I get the same feeling watching Ponds, Lovett, Owens, Ellison, Ahmed. I know with Simon, Clarke, and Brown, we can be good next year.

The problem with St. John's, and I'm droning on now, is that it's always "next year" for us as fans. So even though our roster looks good next season, I can't get too excited until I see it happen.

Sorry, but this is year one of the St John's rebuild. Let's not kid ourselves. Lavin left the cupboard bare and Mullin had to scramble just to find bodies to put on the court last year.
Bill Marsh

Postby REDMEN1415 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:57 pm

ummm pretty sure it should go without saying that a Villanova fan doesn't envy the position of Johnny fans. You guys won the national championship last year and are now undefeated, so I don't think you should be envious of any other fan base in the country honestly, especially not the boys from Jamaica.[/quote]

The good news is that the skies that were so dark prior to the Cuse game are now starting to open up for the Johnnies. That's good for the league, so I am happy for their fans.[/quote]

The problem with St. John's, and I'm droning on now, is that it's always "next year" for us as fans. So even though our roster looks good next season, I can't get too excited until I see it happen.[/quote]

Williams has been a god sent, playing much better then Sima when he was here, with him and Owens we have some nice pieces in the front court now.
Ahmed and Ellison are playing under controll now. Ellison 8 assists and 0 turnovers.

I'm not getting giddy yet, but if we beat Creighton then I'll say that the NIT is a real possibility.
REDMEN1415

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:46 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
Williams has been a god sent, playing much better then Sima when he was here, with him and Owens we have some nice pieces in the front court now.
Ahmed and Ellison are playing under controll now. Ellison 8 assists and 0 turnovers.

I'm not getting giddy yet, but if we beat Creighton then I'll say that the NIT is a real possibility.

Why set your sights low? 8-)
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board