NYE- headlined by #1 @ #10

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NYE- headlined by #1 @ #10

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:48 pm

I agree there's bias but think you guys are underselling Creighton a bit. Creighton is ranked #3 in RPI and Nova is #1. I'm think they'll be top 5 at a minimum if they win. Probably top 3.

Another question, will Nova remain ranked #1 with a loss? I think they should (assuming Creighton doesn't pass them), as #2 UCLA lost and the teams behind them aren't playing anyone major.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

adoraz wrote:I agree there's bias but think you guys are underselling Creighton a bit. Creighton is ranked #3 in RPI and Nova is #1. I'm think they'll be top 5 at a minimum if they win. Probably top 3.

Another question, will Nova remain ranked #1 with a loss? I think they should (assuming Creighton doesn't pass them), as #2 UCLA lost and the teams behind them aren't playing anyone major.

I think it'll be Baylor or Kansas at #1 if they win today. Probably Baylor with their wins over Oregon, Louisville, and Xavier.
stever20

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:54 pm

adoraz wrote:I agree there's bias but think you guys are underselling Creighton a bit. Creighton is ranked #3 in RPI and Nova is #1. I'm think they'll be top 5 at a minimum if they win. Probably top 3.

I don't think there is anyway Creighton would move from 10 to 1. I think they would maybe move a spot or two. I do think Villanova would drop, but also only a spot or two. My guess is Kansas and Baylor would be 1 and 2, Nova 3 if Creighton wins.

And being in the Big East and having a game like tomorrow is heaven to a basketball junkie. Hoping for a Jay (as in Creighton, not Wright) victory but mostly for a great game. It would be very good for the conference if it's a close, well-played game.
Savannah Jay

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:

I don't think there is anyway Creighton would move from 10 to 1. I think they would maybe move a spot or two. I do think Villanova would drop, but also only a spot or two. My guess is Kansas and Baylor would be 1 and 2, Nova 3 if Creighton wins.

And being in the Big East and having a game like tomorrow is heaven to a basketball junkie. Hoping for a Jay (as in Creighton, not Wright) victory but mostly for a great game. It would be very good for the conference if it's a close, well-played game.

I'd be beyond shocked if they win and are ranked #8 or #9. Top 5 at a minimum. Creighton would be one of only a few undefeated teams left and would be the first to knock off the overwhelming #1 and national champion. Their RPI would likely be #1 too.

As for Nova, in last week's poll they had 56 first place votes. UCLA had 3. Baylor had 6. Kansas had 0. If UCLA was still undefeated then I think they'd pass them, but since they aren't I don't see them passing Nova. Kansas and Baylor aren't playing anyone special this week. Going on the road and losing to the #10 team is nearly expected, even for the #1 team.

I do agree this will be an awesome game. Hoping for a close game and a Jays win.
Last edited by adoraz on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 pm

adoraz wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:

I'd be beyond shocked if they win and are ranked #8 or #9. Top 5 at a minimum. Creighton would be one of only a few undefeated teams left and would be the first to knock off the overwhelming #1 and national champion. Their RPI would likely be #1 too.

As for Nova, in last week's poll they had 56 first place votes. UCLA had 3. Baylor had 6. Kansas had 0. If UCLA was still undefeated then I think they'd pass them, but since they aren't I don't see them passing Nova. Kansas and Baylor aren't playing anyone special this week. Going on the road and losing to the #10 team is nearly expected, even for the #1 team.

I do agree this will be an awesome win. Hoping for a close game and a Jays win.

You are probably right about the rankings...just can't really let myself think that way.
Savannah Jay

Postby OhioJay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:26 pm

If Creighton wins going away I imagine they will be 3, maybe 4 with Baylor and KU at 1 and 2 and Nova at 6.

If it's a tightly contested battle and Creighton wins I think they will find themselves at 4 or 5 with Nova holding 4 or 5 as well.

If Nova wins a tight game then they will stay at 1 and Creighton will stay at 10, maybe drop to 11.

If Nova wins going away then they will stay at 1 and Creighton drops somewhere from 15 to 18 depending on what happens behind them.
OhioJay

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:44 pm

OhioJay wrote:If Creighton wins going away I imagine they will be 3, maybe 4 with Baylor and KU at 1 and 2 and Nova at 6.

If it's a tightly contested battle and Creighton wins I think they will find themselves at 4 or 5 with Nova holding 4 or 5 as well.

If Nova wins a tight game then they will stay at 1 and Creighton will stay at 10, maybe drop to 11.

If Nova wins going away then they will stay at 1 and Creighton drops somewhere from 15 to 18 depending on what happens behind them.

The polls don't change that much based on one game. Nova won't drop to 6 even if they lose by 50.

Blowout Creighton victory: Creighton #1/2 Nova #3
Tight Creighton victory: Nova #1 Creighton #2/3
Nova victory: Nova #1 Creighton #10 or #11

If Nova didn't have the vast majority of first place votes then I could see them falling out of the top 3.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
You are probably right about the rankings...just can't really let myself think that way.

I understand that. First thing first let's see the results, but as a neutral fan I enjoy analyzing beforehand.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:47 pm

stever20 wrote:

I think it'll be Baylor or Kansas at #1 if they win today. Probably Baylor with their wins over Oregon, Louisville, and Xavier.

Yeah I could possibly see Baylor at #1, but only if Nova losses by a large margin. Oklahoma is a crappy team this year.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:03 pm

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Yeah I could possibly see Baylor at #1, but only if Nova losses by a large margin. Oklahoma is a crappy team this year.

1 easier game doesn't matter when you are still winning. Baylor would be #1 if Nova even loses pretty close tomorrow. Part of that is Nova will get dinged by the DePaul game in conjunction with the actual loss itself.

Polls don't work the way you are saying they do. you lose, and you drop.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board