(1) THURSDAY, 12/29/16 - BU @ SJU

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) THURSDAY, 12/29/16 - BU @ SJU

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:39 pm

It's par for the course for such a young talented team. It's gonna be a roller coaster ride season for St. John's fans. They already hit some big lows, now they're hitting some huge highs.

This SJU team as been compared to 2014-15 Seton Hall and here's another similarity. That SHU team knocked off a ranked team in its first Big East game as well (and did so again in its second), but conference play was by no means smooth sailing the rest of the way. Now I'm not predicting SJU to have the same locker room issues/meltdown that SHU had, but I expect a similar inconsistency with some more great wins and some brutal losses.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Hall2012 wrote:It's par for the course for such a young talented team. It's gonna be a roller coaster ride season for St. John's fans. They already hit some big lows, now they're hitting some huge highs.

This SJU team as been compared to 2014-15 Seton Hall and here's another similarity. That SHU team knocked off a ranked team in its first Big East game as well (and did so again in its second), but conference play was by no means smooth sailing the rest of the way. Now I'm not predicting SJU to have the same locker room issues/meltdown that SHU had, but I expect a similar inconsistency with some more great wins and some brutal losses.

Just wait until next year when the new recruiting class joins this bunch. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:45 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:It's par for the course for such a young talented team. It's gonna be a roller coaster ride season for St. John's fans. They already hit some big lows, now they're hitting some huge highs.

Add a consistently good St. John's team and this league is gonna be loaded again next year. Who loses a lot? X? I know CU loses some big pieces but they return a lot too.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby scoscox » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 pm

To graduation we'd lose Davis, Gaston, and Bernard. Maybe Bluiett and Sumner to the draft, but those first three are the only seniors.
scoscox

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Add a consistently good St. John's team and this league is gonna be loaded again next year. Who loses a lot? X? I know CU loses some big pieces but they return a lot too.

X will definitely take a step back, or at least will be a hard team to predict due to the incoming class likely getting a lot of minutes. We lose: Sumner, Bluiett, Davis, Bernard and Gaston. That is 4 starters currently. That being said, we currently have the 9th best class coming in so its hard to predict.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby SJU1987 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:00 pm

St. John's adds 5 star Arizona guard Justin Simon , top 25 recruit Zach Brown ( 7 feet ) and Michigan state transfer Marvin Clark next season. St. John's will be awesome next season if Mullin can keep the team together.
SJU1987

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Villanova loses Hart and Jenkins. That's a lot. Marquette loses Fischer and Johnson.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:02 pm

SJU1987 wrote:St. John's adds 5 star Arizona guard Justin Simon , top 25 recruit Zach Brown ( 7 feet ) and Michigan state transfer Marvin Clark next season. St. John's will be awesome next season if Mullin can keep the team together.

And if Brown gains eligibility.
Bill Marsh

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:
Our league-wide strategy should be to have all OUR teams in a competitive position to draw as much eyeballs, media, recruits, money into the league. The bids will come no matter what happens when you have #1 RPI

Except that with a 10 team round robin league, getting a 6th team in is absolutely no lock at all whatsoever. If Marquette or Providence finish 6th at 9-9(or worse)- they probably aren't making the tournament. Their OOC just wasn't good enough to make it.

You just can't say Big East is #1 league, they get 6 bids. Teams earn bids, conferences don't.

Gotta look at the big picture. Which is better:

A. St. John's, in the biggest media market and closest proximity to the Tournament every year, gets some big upsets during Big East. Rejuvenates the fan base, such as last night during the sellout crowd, and sets the scene for a monster year next year. Mullin's job is secure. Downside is Big East **MAY** get 5 bids instead of 6, or 6 bids instead of 7. May lower a team's seeding during the Big Dance.
B. St. John's goes 1-17 again in Big East play. Mullin's job is in question. Recruiting falls off the map. Some key players leave. No hope for next year. Team once again heading for a rebuild in the coming years.

Did you see what happened just a couple weeks ago before the Syracuse game? NY Post headline on the PSU game was "Chris Mullin doubts arise as St. John’s hits new rock bottom". Sima also transferred around that time, and there was talk of transfer for other major pieces. St. John's is absolutely not in a position to start from scratch again. A lot of Big East teams are currently playing as well as they possibly could (Nova, Creighton, Butler, Xavier). Three big time teams that need to wake up are Marquette (starting to), St. John's and DePaul. Those 3 teams have a high ceiling and aren't anywhere close to it.

Again gotta look at the big picture. The Big East isn't aiming for the bottom to remain mediocre.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby NJRedman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:58 pm

SJU1987 wrote:St. John's adds 5 star Arizona guard Justin Simon , top 25 recruit Zach Brown ( 7 feet ) and Michigan state transfer Marvin Clark next season. St. John's will be awesome next season if Mullin can keep the team together.

They also have an open scholarship from the Sima transfer.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board